The Super Terrific MLB Thread - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that much of the Bonds bashing for breaking this record is not because he cheated by using PEDS, but because he's BARRY BONDS. He's an easy target to dislike. Odds are there were many others who cheated like Bonds in the 'steroid era'. Do we hate them as much? Bonds happened to do PEDs better than anyone else.

The real culprits to this prestigious record being broken is baseball...who turned a blind eye while their pockets were being filled. Hate the game...not the player.

The OOTS said:
The real culprits to this prestigious record being broken is baseball...who turned a blind eye while their pockets were being filled. Hate the game...not the player.

GONG.

Another stupid argument. Should baseball (the owners, the commish, and the media) be held accountable? Absolutely. I think there should be some sort of penalty against the league (not sure what you could do against the media).

But does that in any way, shape, or form eliminate Bonds (or any other player) culpability in this matter? No. To say otherwise shows a clear and disturbing lack of a moral compass.

Bonds just followed the crowd. He could have been stopped in '98/'99 when records fell had baseball taken accountability for the increase in power numbers and realized the abnormalities in stats. Instead, they thought the baseballs were too tightly wound. Gimme a break! They deserve the fact their hallowed record is now held by a cheater.

Also, I highly doubt that if McGwire or Junior broke this record that people would scoff and snarl they way they do with Bonds.

The OOTS said:
Bonds just followed the crowd. He could have been stopped in '98/'99 when records fell had baseball taken accountability for the increase in power numbers and realized the abnormalities in stats. Instead, they thought the baseballs were too tightly wound. Gimme a break! They deserve the fact their hallowed record is now held by a cheater.

Also, I highly doubt that if McGwire or Junior broke this record that people would scoff and snarl they way they do with Bonds.

Expansion and watering down of pitching, smaller ballparks, better conditioned players (regardless of steroid use), tightly would balls, steroids, etc all contributed to the increase in power. Could baseball have done more? Of course they could have - do you have the same contempt for the NFL's drug policy? You're a fool if you think it's any cleaner than baseball.

Bonds is a jerk. Would things be different if he had Junior's personality? You betcha. If you're an ass, then people aren't going to like you no matter what you do. It goes for Bonds and everyone else.

randhail said:

Expansion and watering down of pitching, smaller ballparks, better conditioned players (regardless of steroid use), tightly would balls, steroids, etc all contributed to the increase in power. Could baseball have done more? Of course they could have - do you have the same contempt for the NFL's drug policy? You're a fool if you think it's any cleaner than baseball.

Evidence supports that all sports have 'cheaters' using PEDs....even golf! I only use baseball as an example because this record was broken.

There are those who hate Bonds because he cheated, but there are those...and probably a vast majority, who hate Bonds because he is an a-hole.

It's nice Bonds got 756 in a home game.

I still feel kind of bad for the Red Sox and their fans that they didn't win the World Series in Boston. That just didn't seem right.

corianderstem said:

I still feel kind of bad for the Red Sox and their fans that they didn't win the World Series in Boston. That just didn't seem right.
I honestly don't think anyone around here minded that it happened in Saint Loooeee.

Another one of my favorite arguments is: "Sure Barry did steroids, but he also had to hit against pitchers that did steroids too!"

While I am convinced that pitchers did steroids as much (if not more) than position players, let's look at the facts. During the "steroid era" individual and team era's skyrocketed and pitchers were breaking down at an alarming rate. I think a simple review of the empirical evidence leads us to believe that steroids were not that effective for pitchers. The are a few exceptions (yes, Rocket, I am looking at you), but clearly hitters benefited more than pitchers in this era.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
not a single "hey headache caught bonds' homerun" joke in the entire thread.

you people disapoint me.

well that guy was good looking.....so I thought it was a stretch.

randhail said:

The million dollar question is why are steroids the biggest thing in baseball, but no one cares about them in the NFL.

Offensive linemen in the NFL better be drinking their juice; otherwise there's a good chance their QB is gonna be lost for the season with a concussion. (I'm approximately 46% serious about this statement).

I don't know that there's anything inherently morally wrong with using performance-enhancing drugs. One could argue that they're about as natural as creatine and cow's milk. Perhaps they should be legalized and regulated carefully. But given that they're not, one can hardly claim that all athletes are competing on a level playing field when some players are willing to break the law and others aren't.

Hewson said:
I honestly don't think anyone around here minded that it happened in Saint Loooeee.

Actually, as a season ticket holder, I was kinda pissed because if it was in Boston I could have BEEN THERE!!! However that annoyance was way overwhelmed by the fact that we won the god damned world series....

I'm probably more than a little biased in saying this since I was there, but I think it would have been better to be at Game 7 of the ALCS than Game 4 of the World Series. :wink:

The Sock actually won and extra inning game last night. :up: A rare occurrence this season.

One of my friends was giving me crap this weekend about not going to as many Sock games this season as the past 2 seasons. I have gone to a respectable amount this year, just not as many as 2005 & 2006. I told her that there are only so many times I can see the Sox get their asses handed to them. :shrug:

She told me "real" fans go to the same amount of games every year no matter how the team is doing. :huh: (season ticket holders not included) I told her she was nuts. This turned into a serious debate at a bar. :lol: Does being a "real fan" have anything to do with how many games you attend a year??

Guess who is being called up today?

Rick "the Natural" Ankiel

After pounding homeruns in the minors all year long, he is finally getting the call up as an outfielder. This will definitely propel the Cardinals past the Cubs and Brewers. Is it psssible to win the MVP in a month and a half?

Congrats to the kid.

Dusty Bottoms said:
Guess who is being called up today?

Rick "the Natural" Ankiel

After pounding homeruns in the minors all year long, he is finally getting the call up as an outfielder. This will definitely propel the Cardinals past the Cubs and Brewers. Is it psssible to win the MVP in a month and a half?

Congrats to the kid.
Can he DH? Cause the first time he has to throw a ball to the cutoff man, I'd be scared if I were a hot dog vendor in the stands.

randhail said:
I'm probably more than a little biased in saying this since I was there, but I think it would have been better to be at Game 7 of the ALCS than Game 4 of the World Series. :wink:
I was at game 5 of the ALCS and I think it may have eclipsed both game 7 and game 4 of the WS. The drama in game 7 ended by the 3rd inning, game 5 was a ridiculous 14 inning nail biter, and having standing room tix, I was physically and emotionally as drained as I've ever been at a sporting event, but so worth it.

So when does Disney buy the rights to make a movie about him?

sock game vs. Boston on 26AUG

speedracer said:
So when does Disney buy the rights to make a movie about him?

Did you just call the Cards a mickey mouse team? :up:

;)

WildHoneyAlways said:
:lol: Does being a "real fan" have anything to do with how many games you attend a year??

Can you go to a sporting event and NOT cheer for a game? Can you change loyalties to sports teams as often as you wish?

Is there any "right" answer? :D

Re: sock game vs. Boston on 26AUG

zonelistener said:

Can you go to a sporting event and NOT cheer for a game? Can you change loyalties to sports teams as often as you wish?

Is there any "right" answer? :D

The girl who was going on and on about this was a Cub fan obviously. She pointed out how Wrigley is always sold out. :rolleyes: Then I asked her how many people go to actually watch the game and how many people go just to say that they went to a Cub game, pick up guys/girls, drink lots, etc. She didn't have much to say after that.

I'll send an e-mail concerning the sock game this weekend...I have been slacking

WildHoneyAlways said:
Then I asked her how many people go to actually watch the game and how many people go just to say that they went to a Cub game, pick up guys/girls, drink lots, etc. She didn't have much to say after that.

This argument is getting old, my dear friend. Yes, there is a contingency there for "cruisng and boozing," but I don't think it is a "majority." You need to go to a Cubs game and NOT sit in the bleachers.

Not only that, but Cubs fans travel (FANS, not people heading to a different city just to try pick up lines on the opposite gender and drink) well. The Reds V. Cubs game I went to two weekends ago was 65% (estimated ;) )Cubs fans. Schmeg and I sat down with a few of them to eat. Parents with their kids....no beer (except ours, that is).

I think they have this reputation because at some point, the baseball has been SO BAD, that it isn't worth watching.

I look forward to the email

For the record, I have sat 12 rows behind home plate at a Cub game twice. ;)

And also for the record, I didn't bring up that trash heap, she did. I wanted to point out that many people who visit wrigley aren't cub fans but perhaps just passing through, yadda yadda yadda. I don't think game attendance has anything to do with fandom.

Re: Re: I look forward to the email

zonelistener said:

Unless you are talking about season ticket rates....!?

No, no, no. I mean that you don't have to be a season ticket holder to be a "true" fan of a team. Lots of people can't afford season tickets. :shrug: Lots of companies have season tickets that have nothing to do with fandom and everything to do with entertaining clients. :shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom