The Strokes - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2003, 03:43 PM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 06:46 PM
All I have to say is, if you look at the emergence of rock music... most early bands had a large influence from Art schools. Some of the most celebrated bands in history, both artistically and commercially, had members who went to these institutions... the Beatles, the Who, Queen, Led Zeppelin, etc. I'm willing to bet that some of these guys were funded by more than just average side jobs.

You can't measure credibility exclusively by family income. At some point your hypocrisy would be overwhelming, where your considerations for high esteem would be as arbitrary as a Rolling Stone hotlist. It's more valuable to look at how humble the artist is... if they came from a vantage of low recognition and built themselves up, as opposed to having a veteran publicist (like MrBrau says) which exposed them to immediate success. Credibility is best viewed through the degree of modesty in their artistic background, as opposed to their financially privileged upbringing.

Old 08-29-2003, 03:45 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bonochick

If you have the resources available, lucky you. If not...and you have to really work for it...the success may seem sweeter and more satisfying to the musician. To me as a listener though, it really doesn't make much of a difference.
To me this is the difference between passion and hobby. The Stokes can never say "we played like our lives depended on it."
Once I know this stuff, the tone of the music changes for me, how can it not?

It's also because I've played in the clubs they played, as have lots of my friends. We've slaved away to record 3 song demos, or begged to get any kind of press. Dad writes a check and they're off, while the rest of us struggle to get by. I REFUSE to belive it's due to talent, I know that's not true. There are bands 10x better than the Strokes slaving away in those NYC clubs, but you'll never hear of them cause they couldn't afford a publicist.

Old 08-29-2003, 03:49 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:46 PM
I guess for me, I don't believe I have any place to judge someone's worthiness. There are plenty of people who are overnight stars who are worthy, and there are plenty of good bands who really toil - in the end, it is the luck of the draw - and I for one, will not miss out on what The Strokes has to offer musically because some members were born with a golden spoon in their hands.

I've heard more shitty bands who have toiled then I care to mention. I tend to think alot of bands think they have more merit musically and talent-wise bc they have struggled - I just don't agree with them.

I really doubt members of The Velvet Underground toiled for years in shitty dive bars before they magically hooked up with uber-star Andy Warhol who magically opened up many doors for them.
Old 08-29-2003, 03:56 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Oh, I'm fucking jaded. The music business is a cesspool.

There was a band in the UK a few years back-GayDay.

The singer was a musicwriter who wanted to see if he could simply "hype" his band into existense. Well, he did. They played a few shows, got LOTS of press, record deal, whole nine yards. They've never been heard from since. That's kinda how I view the Strokes.
Old 08-29-2003, 04:01 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Pinball Wizard
All I have to say is, if you look at the emergence of rock music... most early bands had a large influence from Art schools. Some of the most celebrated bands in history, both artistically and commercially, had members who went to these institutions... the Beatles, the Who, Queen, Led Zeppelin, etc. I'm willing to bet that some of these guys were funded by more than just average side jobs.

You can't measure credibility exclusively by family income. At some point your hypocrisy would be overwhelming, where your considerations for high esteem would be as arbitrary as a Rolling Stone hotlist. It's more valuable to look at how humble the artist is... if they came from a vantage of low recognition and built themselves up, as opposed to having a veteran publicist (like MrBrau says) which exposed them to immediate success. Credibility is best viewed through the degree of modesty in their artistic background, as opposed to their financially privileged upbringing.
Well said.
Old 08-29-2003, 04:17 PM   #21
Refugee

Local Time: 04:46 PM
The Strokes suck they are way too overrated
Old 08-29-2003, 04:30 PM   #22
Refugee

If they didn't have the "The" modifier in their name, would they be perceived differently?

Old 08-29-2003, 10:56 PM   #23
New Yorker

LOL... the backlash already hit The Strokes before they could even get big.... LOL.

I think this is why rock will die or at least die out even more. The "hipster" crowd is the reason...
Old 08-30-2003, 08:19 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:46 AM
If I like the music, I don't really need struggle-for-my-art thrown into package.
Old 08-30-2003, 11:50 AM   #25
New Yorker

Getting big in the music industry is purely a combination of luck and circumstance. The talent is in staying there.

Sounds to me like The Strokes were extra lucky, just like every other breakout indie rock act since Nirvana.
Old 08-30-2003, 05:42 PM   #26
you are what you is

Local Time: 01:46 AM
my only gripe about The Strokes (and The White Stripes for that matter) is that I think it was all done better by the Oblivians and Jon Spencer Blues Explosion

I really don't care whether someone had to slave for their music or not
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 08-30-2003, 05:42 PM   #27
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by brettig
Getting big in the music industry is purely a combination of luck and circumstance. The talent is in staying there.

Sounds to me like The Strokes were extra lucky, just like every other breakout indie rock act since Nirvana.

As much as I'd like to bash the Strokes without relent, it's probably better to wait and see what they develop into. Will they have staying power, or will the image-driven band fade away like so many others?
Old 08-30-2003, 06:07 PM   #28
Blue Meth Addict

Honestly, getting into the entertainment industry, or any industry really, has a lot to do with 'who you know'. I have a hard time disliking The Strokes just because they got into the music industry because they had a connection. If I did that, I'd have to judge all my friends and relatives who got their respective jobs because of a connection in the same way.

I personally have no problem with it, they have a lot of fans who like what they're doing and that's great. Different 'Strokes' for different folks.
Old 08-30-2003, 08:53 PM   #29
Blue Crack Distributor

ps salome, i will always agree with you about jsbx - they should have been HUGE

I stayed away from the Strokes (and all of those other "The" bands) initially, simply because of all the hype surrounding them in the early part of last year. But, once I sat and listened to the music, I changed my tune, so to speak. For me, actually hearing the music behind all of that attitude made all the difference, because it was actually good.

So what if their daddys are rich?
Old 08-30-2003, 11:10 PM   #30
Refugee

Local Time: 08:46 PM
the way i see it is that all the money in the world can't make a shit band sell albums and be well liked. if someone gave me millions of dollars to promote myself as a singer (i couldn't carry a tune in a bucket BTW) it doesn't mean that i'll be the next big thing in nme and will be nominated for a grammy next year.

the strokes are good....a bit overrated but who isn't nowadays. money and connections may make things a bit easier in getting into the business but it sure as hell doesn't keep you there...just look at kelly osbourne

Tags
the strokes