The "Somewhat Premature" 2010 AFL Thread that is likely to remain awesome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Surprisingly, I had never seen the movie in full, so I hadn't seen that particular part. Though thanks to friends I was introduced to "Madt Daymuhn" bits, which in all honesty, are the only parts of the movie that make watching the movie at least half worthwhile. TA = nothing with no Madt Daymuhn.

What? You don't like Strauchanie?

Vaguely funny for about five minutes.

But really, that's the sort of shit anyone can do. He has no right to be a professional comedian. He and pretty much everyone else on BTG define Australian hackdom.

Of course, I have no problem if other people like him. ;)

The funny thing is despite I how much I love comedy I usually hate comedians for their childish and immature behaviour and jokes. Ross Noble is hilarious though.

Anyways ...

you're a very refined and upstanding individual, vlad.

i'm seeing jason bryne in a few weeks. you would hate him.

Aha yeah, I don't know if you think it's a good or bad thing, but alright.

I've heard of him before, anyone's better than Mikey Robins foh' shur!

So, we doing picks again this year? Any way we could have some sort of tipping group to actually keep track of who's doing best this time around?

In any case, welcome to my Pissweak Tipping World for 2010!

Round the first:
Richmond vs Carlton: Maybe I'm just thinking too positively, but I'm sensing something of an upset in the offing.
Geelong vs Essendon: Cats will make a slow start to the season.
Melbourne vs Hawthorn: Well DUH.
Lions vs Eagles: Home ground advantage = key.
Sydney vs St Kilda: Like in their pre-season meeting, I reckon the Saints will just snag a win.
Port vs Kangaroos: Really not sure about this one. I'll pick Port since they're at home.
Freo vs Adelaide: Always pick against Freo.
Dogs vs Collingwood: C'mon Dogs.

Richmond vs Carlton
Geelong vs Essendon
Melbourne vs Hawthorn: - Just.
Brisbane vs West Coast - Fev and Browny, will be interesting to see how that goes.
Sydney vs St Kilda - If it was the SCG I'd be more confident.
Port vs North Melbourne - Actually I think port will win. But I'll still tip north.
Fremantle vs Adelaide
Footscray Vs Collingwood - Pies have no chance. Its at Etihad, plus Barry Hall is running for man after year after have a Stellar start, by winning most important cup of the year We'll see how that holds up when he loses his temper at some point in time this season. Hopefully its a premiership hangover....but Doggies by 6 Goals.

Richmond vs Carlton - 13 points - See, the Blues are just going to suck.
Geelong vs Essendon - 45 points
Melbourne vs Hawthorn - 24 points
Brisbane vs West Coast - 9 points - oh I went there, and I took a freakin' PICTURE.
Sydney vs St. Kilda - 1 point
Port vs. North - 37 points
Freo vs Adelaide - 30 points - Adelaide to continue jinx out west.
Dogs vs Collingwood - 28 points

Love it, we're gonna lose ... to Fremantle. :lol:

Richmond vs Carlton - Because I can.
Geelong vs Essendon - Mmm, yeah.
Melbourne vs Hawthorn: - Comfortable win for the Hawks.
Brisbane vs West Coast - Brissie too tough at the Gabba.
Sydney vs St Kilda - Don't expect them to drop anytime soon.
Port vs North Melbourne - Don't believe the hype.
Fremantle vs Adelaide - Well, we got Vince and Porpoise back, should be more than enough, eh?
Western Bulldogs Vs Collingwood - Foh shur'.

i'll just keep count of the tips in here. much easier.

Carlton v Richmond - they've only lost one forward.
Geelong v Essendon - close early.
Melbourne v Hawthorn - won't be a total whipping.
Brisbane v West Coast - tipping a big win here. i like the Lions. ever since 02/3.
Sydney v St Kilda - only just.
Port v North - should be a good win at home. better than many think.
Fremantle v Adelaide - hopefully Micky Barlow towels 'em up.
Bulldogs v Collingwood - put the Pies back in their place.

Bulldogs
Geelong
St Kilda
Hawthorn
Collingwood
Brisbane
Adelaide
West Coast

Port Adelaide
Carlton
Essendon
Sydney
North
Freo
Melbourne
Richmond - as much as it breaks my heart. :sad: surely the Dees can't finish 16th three years running?

Brownlow - Selwood
Coleman - Buddy
Risingstar - Barlow (Freo)

Freo'll come last, Danny. Won't be Richmond. Better not be Richmond.

And if we actually want to keep track of the tipping and who's doing best, should we devise some sort of points system? 2 points for a correct pick, 0 for incorrect, 6 points if you correctly pick a draw, that sort of thing. 4 point bonus if you pick every game in a week correctly. Yea or nay? I've always enjoyed having this sort of aspect in the rugby tipping competitions with my family, so I'd enjoy it here, but if we just want to keep it informal like in the past, that's fine by me too.

Richmond vs Carlton - 13 points - See, the Blues are just going to suck.
Geelong vs Essendon - 45 points
Melbourne vs Hawthorn - 24 points
Brisbane vs West Coast - 9 points - oh I went there, and I took a freakin' PICTURE.
Sydney vs St. Kilda - 1 point
Port vs. North - 37 points
Freo vs Adelaide - 30 points - Adelaide to continue jinx out west.
Dogs vs Collingwood - 28 points

We beat Freo there last time we played. :shrug:

And if we actually want to keep track of the tipping and who's doing best, should we devise some sort of points system? 2 points for a correct pick, 0 for incorrect, 6 points if you correctly pick a draw, that sort of thing. 4 point bonus if you pick every game in a week correctly. Yea or nay? I've always enjoyed having this sort of aspect in the rugby tipping competitions with my family, so I'd enjoy it here, but if we just want to keep it informal like in the past, that's fine by me too.

I like it. :up:

i'd prefer to keep it 1 point for a correct pick, but i like the idea of bonus points for tipping eight, perhaps if you tip eight, 10 points. 6 for a draw is fine, perhaps even 10? the TAB odds are always roughly 50-1 for the draw.

but let's see what the others think!

Yeah, 1 would probably just be easier. I'm used to rugby picking tournaments with various margin options as well, but that'd just be a hassle, especially since we'd be tabulating scores manually. I'm happy with 1 for a correct pick, 10 for a correct draw pick (will anybody even pick a draw!). Maybe make correctly tipping all eight games an 8 point bonus? i.e. one bonus for each game.

well, i'd still prefer not to get 16 points for tipping eight, maybe 10-12, but all the rest sounds good.

The Bounce was shithouse. Peter Helliar is not a good host, most of jokes weren't funny, the segments sucked for the most part - though the Punk'd bit was fantastic.

then i flicked onto Spicks n Specks and realised i was missing Paul Dempsey.

Oh sorry, I thought you meant a 10 point bonus on top of the eight points for picking eight (i.e. 18 total), not ten points overall for picking all eight. So basically, get all eight picks correct, you get a two point bonus for the week? I'm down with that.

Carlton def Richmond by 24
Geelong def Essendon by 32
Hawthorn def Melbourne by 29
Brisbane def West Coast by 45
St. Kilda def Sydney by 55
Port Adelaide def North Melbourne by 11
Adelaide def Fremantle by 19
Footscray def Collingwood by 27

Oh sorry, I thought you meant a 10 point bonus on top of the eight points for picking eight (i.e. 18 total), not ten points overall for picking all eight. So basically, get all eight picks correct, you get a two point bonus for the week? I'm down with that.

awesome. we have a system. everyone try and post your tips before the first game of the round.

1 correct tip = 1 point
incorrect tip = 0 points
picked the draw = 10 points
picked eight = 2 bonus points.

^I like that.

Did you? I couldn't remember, but I know you guys don't always play too great in Subi against either side. In any case, I think the margin I gave was a bit too high, but oh well.

It was by 24 points in round 3. But you're forgiven.

ALMOST THERE PEOPLE.

Well fuck, Richmond start the year as Poormond again.

FIFTY-SIX POINTS. Christ.

I don't know why the hell I tipped them. Clearly I shouldn't trust optimistic gut feelings.

But I assure you my other seven picks will be right. :wink:

I learned that Carlton are a fair bit better than I was expecting, and Richmond a lot worst. Good to see the Blues have figured out a plan that doesn't rely on a key forward.

Interesting that Betts was in the FF position.

Or at least he appeared to be.

Back
Top Bottom