The Police reuniting for tour in '07 ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
phanan said:
:scratch:

Yes they do. Right at the beginning.

The Police To Reunite On GRAMMYs
January 30, 2007

Music's Biggest Night to feature GRAMMY winners, nominees and all-star celebrities

GRAMMY.com

In an historic GRAMMY moment, the Police (Sting, Stewart Copeland and Andy Summers) will reunite and perform together for the first time on the GRAMMYs when they open the 49th Annual GRAMMY Awards telecast on Feb. 11, it was announced today by The Recording Academy. The winners of five GRAMMY Awards, the Police create a purely original sound by infusing reggae with pop and rock, growing into one of the most popular and innovative acts of the '80s.

Also, new presenters added to the all-star lineup include current Lifetime Achievement Award honoree Joan Baez, two-time GRAMMY winner Melissa Etheridge, Golden Globe winner Jennifer Hudson, GRAMMY winner Queen Latifah, three-time GRAMMY winner Chris Rock, and 24-time GRAMMY winner Stevie Wonder.

The Police join a stellar list of past GRAMMY Awards opening acts, which includes reunions and once-in-a-lifetime performances: the ever-animated Madonna sharing the stage with the Gorillaz (2006); an all-star, stage-filling spectacle that featured the Black Eyed Peas, Maroon5, Gwen Stefani, Los Lonely Boys and Franz Ferdinand (2005); Prince and Beyoncé in an electrifying duet (2004); and the reunion of legends Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel (2003).

Previously announced performers include Christina Aguilera, Beyoncé, Mary J. Blige, the Dixie Chicks, Gnarls Barkley, John Legend, Ludacris, John Mayer, Corinne Bailey Rae, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Justin Timberlake (solo performance and with the winner of the "My GRAMMY Moment" competition) and Carrie Underwood. Previously announced presenters include the Black Eyed Peas, Ciara, Nelly Furtado, Terrence Howard, Samuel L. Jackson, Pink and Rihanna. The show also will be supported on radio via Westwood One worldwide and XM Satellite Radio, and covered online at GRAMMY.yahoo.com.

The 49th Annual GRAMMY Awards will take place live on Sunday, Feb. 11, at Staples Center in Los Angeles and will be broadcast in HDTV and 5.1 surround sound on the CBS Television Network at 8 p.m. (ET/PT). For a complete list of 49th GRAMMY nominees, please click here.

Where does it say they will open the show?

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
I for one will pay the money to see them live no matter what type of venue they play in. This tour is something I have been waiting for since I was a kid! :drool:

Ditto!!!

Neil McCormick discusses the Police reunion!

Back on the beat again
Last Updated: 12:01am GMT 01/02/2007

As the Police re-form, Neil McCormick explains why it's not just for the multi-million-pound pay cheques

They said it would never happen. But it has. All around the world, rock stars past their prime who once swore never to get within spitting distance of one another have been quietly putting down their bargepoles and picking up their guitars. It is the mysterious case of the buried hatchet. Somebody ought to call the Police. Oh, wait a minute, they already have.

At the Grammy Awards in Los Angeles on Feb 11, Sting, Andy Summers and Stewart Copeland will perform together as a prelude to formally announcing a Police reunion, with a planned summer tour and possible recording dates. If, that is, they can stay in a room together without coming to blows.

The last time the British group attempted a reunion, in 1986, tensions ran so high that Sting stormed out of the studio after just three days, never to return. Tempers had cooled enough for a gig at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2003, after which Sting said that he had "no interest" in a reunion. "It's not going to happen," added Summers. "No can do," said Copeland. At which point, presumably, their fate was sealed.

The music industry is usually obsessed with looking for the next new thing, but this year it is throwing its weight behind the next old thing. In an increasingly fragmented market, executives are turning to the tried and trusted to bolster sales, with so many bands announcing reformations that the music scene in 2007 is starting to look a lot like it did 20 years ago.

Genesis led the way with an announcement that they would be touring Europe this summer. Roxy Music have been in the studio, while New Zealanders Crowded House and UK indie heroes James and My Bloody Valentine are following suit.

In the US, the Smashing Pumpkins have ceased hostilities to start recording again, Rage Against the Machine have presumably resumed hostilities by putting their angry rock back on the road, and original punk Iggy Pop has reformed the Stooges. Dave Lee Roth and Eddie Van Halen have patched up their differences to bring back the classic line-up of Van Halen. And in Iceland, there are rumours that the Sugarcubes will build on a reunion concert in November, although this is unlikely to leave the music world trembling in anticipation.

If there is something disheartening about pragmatism replacing idealism as the motivating force of our rock heroes, the simple fact is that reunions are good business, especially in a climate where middle-aged consumers spend more on music than young people.

In the age of the download, the reliable spending habits of "Fifty Quid Man" (a music-loving nostalgic who still prefers the long aisles of record shops and iconography of packaging to the intangibility of the internet) has been identified as the saviour of the music business, and, judging by last year's phenomenally successful Take That reunion, he may have been joined at the tills by his partner, Fifty Quid Woman.

Take That are an object lesson in the effectiveness of reunions. Despite scoring eight No 1 singles between 1993 and 1996, only one member, Robbie Williams, carved out a successful solo career (and Williams was notable by his absence from the reunion). When they planned their comeback tour, Mark Owen admitted they were "worried about how it would sell".

They went on to play more than 30 sold-out shows to half a million people, with Gary Barlow confessing his amazement that "the tour was bigger than any of the tours we did at the height of our fame". Such was the response, in fact, that the band decided to venture back into the studio, producing the UK's No 2 album of 2006.

Nostalgia gave Take That their career back, and that may be the real key to the reunion's lure for artists who have made their fortunes, but still hanker after fame, respect and the thrill of performance.

When the Sex Pistols re-formed for a world tour in 1996, John Lydon made it clear that his band had buried their differences in filthy lucre. "We have found a common cause, and it's your money," he sneered. Life is long, and most musical careers are short. Bands often break up for ideological reasons at a time in life when they are not thinking about paying the mortgage, or putting children through college.

But motives can be complex, and they are certainly not always as venal as hankering after a last big payday. When Genesis announced their plans last year, Phil Collins pointed out: "We're all loaded enough not to worry about where the next million or two is coming from. If money was the issue, we'd be playing more than 20 shows. I just felt now was the right time to have a go at it." He added that he "missed the camaraderie".

Bands are curious things, the musical dynamic shaped by the personalities involved, and with age (and failing solo careers) it may become easier to recognise that. While his bandmates may be enthused by the possible profit margin, Sting certainly doesn't need the money. But he might be hankering after the challenge, perhaps even seeking out new musical inspiration.

During a backstage encounter with Bono at Live 8, it was reported that Sting asked the U2 singer: "When are you going to get rid of this band and be a proper artist?" Yet after years drifting into the jazz-soul hinterland, Sting's performance of Police songs on the Hyde Park stage was widely hailed as his leanest, meanest and most effective set in years, displaying a vigour lacking in his recent solo material. And if he was thinking about recording with a stripped-down Police-style rock line-up, why audition session musicians when he already has the original members just waiting for his call?

Whatever happens in the long run, a resumption of active service with the Police will undoubtedly reconnect him with his audience and reinvigorate his solo sales. But perhaps more importantly for such an idealistic man, it may reconnect Sting with his muse, help him rediscover his popular touch.

One person sure to be surprised by the announcement is Pete Townshend, a veteran of many reunions with the Who. "I remember meeting Sting at the Caprice after he'd just left the Police," Townshend told me recently. "I said to him, 'You don't have to leave the Police, you can just retire them for a bit.' And he said, 'Pete, I've been watching you, and I'm keen not to make the same mistakes.' "

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2007/02/01/bmpolice101.xml

Sting would be stupid not to say yes for a reunion tour. He of all people know how huge those Police songs are. During the Soul Cages tour and after playing all the songs from the album, he said after coming back on stage from a break, "All right...(long pause) we all know why you're here." Of course we knew exactly what he was talking about, and the crowd roared like I've never seen it in my life.

He knows people still love the Police, and if he loves making money, which I know he does, he'll have to break down and do this. Not just for himself, but to get people off of his back about it. It's true, he does need a little boost lately since he's not selling ablums like he used to.

There's too much money in touring right now for older bands not to reunite. The Police, The Eagles, and Van Halen reunions are in the news. They see U2 and the Stones grossing 9 figures from touring and realize they can do the same.

^Speaking of the Eagles...I'm dying for them to come back.

I was stupid last time to refuse to pay the cheapest ticket which was $69. After the show, I wish I would have gone. I found out from a friend who went that so many tickets weren't sold on the floor because they were so expensive, that on the night of the show, the people working for the Eagles went up to the upper balcony and gave away tickets to move down to the floor in order to fill it up.

Ahhhhh! :crazy: I should have gone!

And that was here in Dallas, Don Henley's home town!

One of the Vancouver radio stations had an "interview" with Stewart Copeland on wed Jan 31st.

I haven't been down to the studios yet, but I find it discouraging that there have been no real setlist reports yet.

u2fp

IMO.. I obviously see them doing the grammy's (cuz it was officially announced) but touring I just don't know. I mean all this time Sting has been adamant about not getting back together with Stewart and Andy. Other than money and his career being stale why would he 'lose face' and do this it makes him look foolish. But then again if he didn't do it the media/critics would be all over him..
And their history of not getting along.. i.e. Sting walking out of the studio a few years (i think i read somewhere that is was 2003 or something like that) ago after only 3 days. How in the hell are they going to tour for what..80 dates. I just don't see them surviving it. With his ego.. jeez..:huh:

Don't get me wrong I would :heart: to see The Police tour.

U2Fanatic4ever said:
And their history of not getting along.. i.e. Sting walking out of the studio a few years (i think i read somewhere that is was 2003 or something like that) ago after only 3 days. How in the hell are they going to tour for what..80 dates. I just don't see them surviving it. With his ego.. jeez..:huh:

Best buy tickets for one of the first few dates then :lol:.

Ifeelnumb84 said:
I don't think it's a "reunion" for The Eagles. They toured like 3 years ago...

The Farewell I tour was in 2003. They'll do another one. It's been too long. They also need the money.

And too, why do you think they started numbering their Farewell tours? On the latest DVD, Don said they started numbering the Farewell tours because they keep changing their mind about hitting the road.

So the Eagles aren't done yet.

Here's some news from Yahoo...

Eagles Soar Once More

02/01/2007 9:02 AM, E! Online

Take it easy, Eagles fans. The Hotel California will soon be open for business again.

During a private concert in Las Vegas Saturday, former frontman Don Henley broke the news that, barring any last-minute implosions, the Eagles will, within the next three months, release its first studio album in nearly three decades.

The adult-contempo lovers at the Las Vegas Review-Journal first reported on the recording news after Henley spilled the news during a gig at the MGM Grand Garden Arena.

"It's coming out in 60 to 90 days, if we don't kill each other first," Henley told the crowd.

It remains unclear what combination of band members are playing on the forthcoming disc, which doesn't have an official title but is rumored to be named The Long Road to Eden.

Whatever the final roll call is, Henley hinted that the band would follow up the release with another road trip, ending Saturday night's concert by telling his fans, "I'll see you this summer."

I hope it happens! :up:

U2Fanatic4ever said:
IMO.. I obviously see them doing the grammy's (cuz it was officially announced) but touring I just don't know. I mean all this time Sting has been adamant about not getting back together with Stewart and Andy. Other than money and his career being stale why would he 'lose face' and do this it makes him look foolish. But then again if he didn't do it the media/critics would be all over him..

The incident where Sting walked out of the studio was in July 1986.

All indications show that you will be scrambling to get tickets for this tour in about 3 weeks. I was initially very skeptical, but to many things have happened over the past few weeks for this not to happen, I think. The Grammy award appearance was rumored and is now confirmed. Confirmation on the tour should not come to much later after that. If their smart, they will be putting tickets on sale in February before people make their summer vacation plans.

The latest rumor is that the tour will likely be more like 50 dates spread out over 4 months from May through August.

STING2 said:

The incident where Sting walked out of the studio was in July 1986.

All indications show that you will be scrambling to get tickets for this tour in about 3 weeks. I was initially very skeptical, but to many things have happened over the past few weeks for this not to happen, I think. The Grammy award appearance was rumored and is now confirmed. Confirmation on the tour should not come to much later after that. If their smart, they will be putting tickets on sale in February before people make their summer vacation plans.

The latest rumor is that the tour will likely be more like 50 dates spread out over 4 months from May through August.

as much as I like The Police I know one thing for sure I will not pay $200 + for a ticket if that is what the prices are gonna be like which I imagine they will be.

Last edited:
^you must have a zillion, LOL. I had some, but used the last batch for rewards gift certificates for myself (GAP!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom