The Pixies/The Thrills concert review - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Old 10-08-2004, 09:32 PM   #1
Local Time: 05:41 PM
The Pixies/The Thrills concert review

Saw The Pixies....they're a band that I didn't know a whole lot about, but I liked some of their the tickets were cheap so I went with a friend. Very cool to see Frank Black live...though dissapointed that they played straight through their set and didn't say much to the audience. The opening song "Where is My Mind" ...although it's a bit mellow of a song, it got the crowd rockin'. The highlight though was "Monkey Gone to Heaven," with the entire auditorium singing along. Since the auditorium is a smaller venue, the show felt very intimate, and there wasn't a bad seat in the house. Some of the other songs in the set were "All Around the World," "Debaser," and "I'm Amazed."

The set was completely from their previous albums...sorry, no new material for this show. But it didn't make it any less enjoyable, however.

Kim Deal was as cool as the auditorium staff a big "f*ck off" by coming out on stage and lighting up a smoke (no smoking in the auditorium). Got to meet Kim after the show...she was extremely cool, and was asked me if I was a bartender lol (I had a button on that said "Let's Bottle Bohemia...the name of the opening band's first album...guess she didn't know much about them either!)

The Thrills were damn good too...they remind me a bit like Stereophonics...very Brit rock. I songs I liked in particular were "Big Sur" and"Whatever Happened to Cory Haim?" They did well with a tough crowd...out here in Nebraska Brit Rock hasn't really taken hold yet. The song I was most impressed with however, was "One Horse Town" which is the song that finally picked up the crowds attention.

Overall, I was impressed with both bands, and I would reccomend seeing both bands. Plus, with ticket price of $35, it's well worth the money.

Now I'm going to have to do some major cd shopping!

Old 10-09-2004, 05:56 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 11:41 PM
The Thrills are Irish. And sound very American (especially California)-influenced to me.

Old 10-09-2004, 09:08 AM   #3
Local Time: 11:41 PM
where my mind is too mellow song to open with
Old 10-09-2004, 01:15 PM   #4
Blue Crack Supplier
Local Time: 07:41 PM
Originally posted by isabelle_guns
where my mind is too mellow song to open with
you can thank 'fight club' for that.
Old 10-09-2004, 06:44 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 04:41 PM
Dang! Now I feel like I should get tickets to this when they come through here!

I agree that The Thrills sound like they're from California. Never heard a Thrills song I didn't like.

By the way, I'm from Oklahoma (though I just moved away from there). Yay for Middle America!