The Ouagadougou Superthread - Page 18 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2008, 11:00 PM   #256
The Male

Local Time: 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
All of my songs are lyrics I wrote first, and then wrote music around. I think that's backwards from the typical writing style.

Each set of lyrics has a specific mindset I was in. Three of those songs are dedicated to girls, one is in character, one is religious, one is a critique of a particular classmates delve into alcohol, and two have no meaning whatsoever.
It not necessarily backwards...it's not the way I write, but that's OK.

I write very little from personal experience, and when I do, I make sure it's as veiled as possible.

Now.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:00 PM   #257
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
Guys, my band is better than yours.

Except for the part where it only exists in my head.
Mine too, unfortunately. My tenative plan is to record my album with a pianist friend who has some recording equipment. That's the only band I have, as of right now.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:01 PM   #258
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 12:45 PM
Quote:
All of my songs are lyrics I wrote first, and then wrote music around. I think that's backwards from the typical writing style.
When I was 15-16 and more into playing guitar than I am now, I took a break from writing prose to do some songs and I did exactly the same thing. I found it much easier to create music around my lyrics.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-01-2008, 11:02 PM   #259
The Male

Quote:
Guys, my band is better than yours.

Except for the part where it only exists in my head.
We're all good in our heads.

It's another thing to be trashed my emo kids on myspace. That actually happened to me once, and I saved the email, if you don't believe me.

Now.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:02 PM   #260
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon

I write very little from personal experience, and when I do, I make sure it's as veiled as possible.
I actually think it is, but that's more because I'm not really a musician, I'm a writer.

I can't avoid it. I have no inspiration to write impersonal lyrics. I have, on occassion, but that's not what motivates me.

I actually really like my lyrics on a few of the songs, too, and I think they work. I'm tempted to post them, but realize this is the Internetz at the same time.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:03 PM   #261
Vocal parasite

Quote:

Mine too, unfortunately. My tenative plan is to record my album with a pianist friend who has some recording equipment. That's the only band I have, as of right now.
I never knew anybody who was musical. One of my friends reckoned he could sing or play drums but never did anything about either. So with no real reason to keep playing, I just fell out of practice with my guitar and returned to writing.

But this reminds me of a great notice I saw at university: "SHIT BAND LOOKING FOR SHIT DRUMMER AIMING TO BECOME DECENT."

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-01-2008, 11:04 PM   #262
Blue Crack Supplier

I veil them, too, by the way. I'd be interested to know if the girls notice the references though. Particularly in my song "Fireworks" which is completely about one night with one girl. It's vague, but enough that I think she might get it.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:04 PM   #263
The Male

Quote:

I actually really like my lyrics on a few of the songs, too, and I think they work. I'm tempted to post them, but realize this is the Internetz at the same time.
Grow a pair and march over to Dream Out Loud. Post a fake setlist while you're over there.

Now.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:05 PM   #264
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I never knew anybody who was musical. One of my friends reckoned he could sing or play drums but never did anything about either. So with no real reason to keep playing, I just fell out of practice with my guitar and returned to writing.

But this reminds me of a great notice I saw at university: "SHIT BAND LOOKING FOR SHIT DRUMMER AIMING TO BECOME DECENT."
My one buddy is a guitarist, and is actually skilled, but has no motivation to be in a band. He can play "What Would You Say" by Dave Matthews Band, which is a difficult riff.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:05 PM   #265
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Grow a pair and march over to Dream Out Loud. Post a fake setlist while you're over there.
I'm not embarassed at all. I'm worried about having them stolen.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:06 PM   #266
Vocal parasite

Quote:

I'm similar. All of my lyrics from personal experience are so cryptic that when I look back at them, I'm not even 100% sure what they're about.

I just love imagery. I particularly seem to have a thing for skies on fire. I suppose this is of no surprise to you guys, knowing my appreciation of all things atmospheric.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-01-2008, 11:06 PM   #267
The Male

Quote:

I'm not embarassed at all. I'm worried about having them stolen.

Now.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:06 PM   #268
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Awesome. That might be my notice around school.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:07 PM   #269
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I'm similar. All of my lyrics from personal experience are so cryptic that when I look back at them, I'm not even 100% sure what they're about.

I just love imagery. I particularly seem to have a thing for skies on fire. I suppose this is of no surprise to you guys, knowing my appreciation of all things atmospheric.
I hate imagery, for the most part. When I use it, it's metaphorical for people. I realized recently that I should be a psychologist. I'm all about people, first and foremost.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:08 PM   #270
The Male

Quote:

At least you're not into analogies about empty lots and bleeding cuts like Bono.

Now.

Tags
superthread