The OFFICIAL US Open + "Let's Go ANDRE" thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
damm... it's like monday all over again.. except the comeback is not Andre's

THIS CAN'T BE THE END... LET'S GO ANDRE!!!!

Andre survives!!!!!!

What an incredible match!

Baghdadis was like a mosquito that wouldn't go away.

Next up for Andre is some guy named Benjamin Becker whom I have never heard of.

LET'S GO ANDRE!!!!!

I want him to win this whole thing sooo bad.

HE WON!!!!!

man... who ever came up with the idea of McEnroe interviewing Agassi should get a raise... those 2 are HILLARIOUS together...

"so, andre... your next match is against B. Becker from Germany... what do you feel about that?" :lmao:

but Baghdadis really needs a standing ovation as well... he went from 0-4 to win the 4th set, almost beat Agassi (part of me says Andre won, some that Baghdadis lost alone) ... playing ABOVE a cramp... amazing...

:applaud:

who saw Blake's match last night?... anyone noticed anything?

02Open.1.600.jpg

02Open.2.190.jpg

reed the history here :

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/02/s...=th&adxnnlx=1157223770-4diB9cNxnadeeAPqRBAAcQ

PD: is it raining in NY?... are the games postponed?

Not a big tennis fan normally, but just watched Agassi v Becker, great game, sad end for Agassi, but credit to Becker he played great game, especially as he had to take on the crowd as well, Agassi's one of those rare sportsmen, whether you're interested in his sport or not, you're aware of him, & his achievements, he'll be missed, but never forgotten, true sporting GREAT!

(first of all... Becker played the game of his life, making points and puting the ball where normally nobody could... he really deserves the victory)

I'm sad... really...

my last hero retires...

Ayrton Senna died before his time...

Michel jordan... I saw those last Bulls games, with that historic 3-pioint... but even him could fill me up

Andre Agassi... for me it will ALWAYS be the BEST EVER in this game... he was a rebel, a great person, a person that fell from grace to the most obscure parts and came back not once, but twice to be Nº1 of the world...

In part... my last hero goes away, and as he leaves, I feel... older, like it's a new world, the end of an era, for me and specially for him...

:bow: :sad: :applaud:

Goodbye ANDRE AGASSI... you'll never be forgotten

http://usopen.blogs.nytimes.com/?p=80

LEGENDS LIVE FOREVER!!!

Last edited:
It was surreal for me to watch his final match today and hear him say goodbye. I was there at Horseshoe Bend here in Atlanta when he celebrated his 18th birthday. He was presented a birthday cake after he played Michael Chang. I remember it like it was yesterday. An amazing man he grew up to be. An emotional goodbye.

This is one of the loveliest pieces of sportswriting I have ever come across. It was in my paper a few days ago.

Agassi has been educating us for 20 years and sport is going to miss him
by Rohit Brijnath

Late into Monday night, his monkish face dissolving into smiles despite his exhaustion, he told John McEnroe after his first round win: "Six more".

Some neurotic, uptight logician somewhere is going, 'six more wins? That would give him the title! And surely he, 36, slower of foot, untidier of stroke, with Baghdatis in the next round itself, and Federer down the road, has no chance, so …'

SHUT UP. Banish logic. Deport reason. Exile sanity. Just put your head to the ground and listen to a cheering world. You see, this is Andre Agassi's last waltz and no one wants it to be over.

There is not space enough for every athlete that has come and gone in the limited room of our hearts. But him, he's different, always has been, always been embedded in our lives, from the time he first played on tour in 1986, the year a kid was born in a corner of Spain called Rafael.

He journeyed with us, he and his tennis, we and our jobs, side by side, through the years, growing sideburns together and embracing silliness. We'd heard rumours about life and its second chances, but he, this sneerer at Samson who shaved his head and grew stronger, was proof of it. Of all the redemption songs in sport, his is the sweetest.

On Monday, the entire US Open tennis centre was named after Billie Jean King and here was a revolutionary, who hurdled mockery, and confronted chauvinism, and led women players to a promised land of respect, their own tour and in many cases equal prize money.

Agassi, on Monday, described her finely, saying: "Some people do a lot and some people represent a lot. In her case, she gets the highest marks in both categories." Agassi is no King, but he is tennis' sweet prince, whose transformation of tennis has been less significant but compelling nonetheless.

Agassi helped convert tennis into entertainment, he could put on a show and he could play. He was such a filler of stadiums that Nike paid him even more than they did Pete. After all, only he could start his first round match on Monday half in tears and his opponent in smiles. Andre Pavel was laughing, having figured out there was no way he could beat 23,001 Americans.

Nothing stays unique for long in sport, in time we will see another pigeon-toed businesslike walker between points, another bald baseliner, another sinner turned saint, another dater of actresses.

But in our lifetimes, maybe we'll never see anyone who played quite like him.

Agassi is underrated because he was born in Pete's time. But eventually he did what Pete could not do. What no man has done. Not even the Fed yet.

Four men only before Agassi had won all four Grand Slam tournaments, Don Budge, Fred Perry, Rod Laver, Roy Emerson, but when he joined them he was part of their gang yet separate.

When Laver and the rest played, three of the four slams (Wimbledon , US, Australian) were played on grass. But Agassi is the only man to win the four grand slam titles on four different surfaces (Wimbledon grass, French clay, US fast hardcourt, Australian slow hardcourt). It is the ultimate masterpiece of versatility.

Agassi's game at its best translated onto every surface because it was simple, clinical, efficient, tidy, organised. If Federer's game is manufactured in a Ferragamo designer studio, and Nadal's game is hammered out in some sweaty foundry, then Agassi's game was engineered at Mercedes.

Though Rolls Royce might claim that return of serve, a stroke so astonishing that it immediately made him (shorter than most, less heftier serve, not much of a volley) a contender at Wimbledon even in its fast grass days.

Agassi was special because you could sit, eyes closed, and almost listen to him on court. It was like being blindfolded in the audience when Horowitz went to work on the piano, for Agassi would produce these clean powerful notes, each one emerging like it had been polished for hours, shots that were not contaminated by anything, they were the pure, crisp offspring of faultless timing and immaculate technique.

For a once rebellious soul, Agassi's art was classical.

He made the term "windscreen wiper" fashionable because it's what he did to his opponents, moving them from one corner to another. Tennis is about time, getting to the ball on time, having enough time to prepare the racket-head, enough time to position the feet, enough time for the brain to sort through four options and choose one, and Agassi, because he stood on the baseline, taking the ball early, hitting so fast, stole time from players. He did not allow you to do enough with the ball.

He's been stunning to watch. No, even more than. He's been a tennis education.

So he was not as fast on Monday, which is why he hit so many single-handed backhands. And not so exact, like an engineer with a faulty slide rule. And not so commanding, standing for three sets against Pavel two metres behind the baseline.

Still, he won. At 36.

It really doesn't matter whether he wins six more matches and produces a miracle. Because if you look at him now, and what he was, then his career's been one anyway.

Andre is the Man!!! For as long as I can remember I've been a tennis fan and Andre is the reason why. Admitedly when I was younger it was his image that I thought was so cool and then it was his game and style of play. he's the most exciting player I've ever watched and he will be greatly missed. I teared up at the conclusion of today's match. From the "image is everything" to the complete class act he is today this guy gave us everything, ups and downs(some very low ones). For me he'll always have that "what if" factor to his career. What if he'd been as focused early in his career as he was later on? What if he hadn't skipped the Australian open for the first ten yeasr of his career? He could very well be the all time Grand Slam leader. I remember having Agassi posters on my locker in Grade 10 after his first Wimbledon(1992) and US open titles(1994). I remember thinking when he won Wimbledon "how can a guy win when his opponent gets 37 aces!" I remember the time he came out with his head shaved(Australian Open) and everyone was in shock lol! The '96 Olympics, All the matches against Sampras, last year against Blake the list goes on. As a kid when I'd play with my buddy's I was always Agassi. You kow how kids do that "I'm Agassi!!" My best friend who I played with the most liked Boris Becker so it's kinda funny that Andre's last match was against B. Becker lol. I love this guy and he's truely one of the greatest athletes(not just tennis player) of all time. It's amazing to me that it was only 3 short yeasr ago where he finnished the season at number 2 in the world and really 2006 doesn't really counta s he's hardly played so basically it's only been two yeasr since he's been outta the top 2. Sampras will go down as the greatest(we'llsee what Federer does) but Agassi was the heart and soul of this sport for 20 years. He's the people's champion. I feel quite sad about it actually. Moments like these not only signify a passing of an era in Agassi's life but also in our own lives. I mean as far as tennis goes all I've ever known was Agassi. In a sense it's like losing that last part of your childhood, if that makes any sense.Thanks for the memories and the inspiration Andre. You truely are THE MAN!!

here's some career highlights: http://tsn.ca/tennis/news_story/?ID=176383&hubname=

Last edited:
It's starting to sink in. It's weird to see him go. It's like losing that last part of your childhood like I mentioned. Everyone I've ever cheered for in any sport has now retired. Who am I gonna cheer for now? this is completely selfish I know but It's not the same when you don't have that overwhelming feeling of wanting somene to win. Roddick is o.k. Blake is great, Federer is hard not to like cause he's just damn good, Nadal reminds me of Agassi in ways, Baghdatis made a fan out of me the other night. I just wonder now if I'm ever gonna have the same feeling watching tennis ever again. You know the one where you can't sit still and you agonize over every single point lol. With Agassi retiring it's likely I'll have to learn to enjoy the game in a completely different way now. As for this US Open I think it would be great if either Blake or Roddick could win it. I think I'm gonna pull for Blake. How amazing woudl it have been though to see Andy vs Andre tonight. Anyways he went from "Image is everything" to "Impact is everything" and wow did he ever make an impact.

Last edited:
Im gonna go for Blake... all the way... a man that does this

02Open.1.600.jpg

for his idol, like I would, deserves all my apreciation

I hope he gets to the finals and wears denim shorts

and remember... LEGENDS LIVE FOREVER

pepokiss said:
Im gonna go for Blake... all the way... a man that does this

02Open.1.600.jpg

for his idol, like I would, deserves all my apreciation
I hope he gets to the finals and wears denim shorts
and remember... LEGENDS LIVE FOREVER

I agree pepokiss. I'm gonna cheer for Blake now also. I doubt Nike will allow him to wear denim shorts though but some type of "fashionable" tribute would be sweet.

I didn't get to see Andre's last match. I saw a bit of the previous one that was replayed on USA late at night.

Long live Agassi! :bow:
25206263.jpg

He's on the cover of the L.A. Times today, but I can't get the picture online. Photo gallery on the site too, including the famous mullets :lol:

Last edited:
Hallucination said:
It's starting to sink in. It's weird to see him go. It's like losing that last part of your childhood like I mentioned. Everyone I've ever cheered for in any sport has now retired. Who am I gonna cheer for now? this is completely selfish I know but It's not the same when you don't have that overwhelming feeling of wanting somene to win. Roddick is o.k. Blake is great, Federer is hard not to like cause he's just damn good, Nadal reminds me of Agassi in ways, Baghdatis made a fan out of me the other night. I just wonder now if I'm ever gonna have the same feeling watching tennis ever again. You know the one where you can't sit still and you agonize over every single point lol. With Agassi retiring it's likely I'll have to learn to enjoy the game in a completely different way now. As for this US Open I think it would be great if either Blake or Roddick could win it. I think I'm gonna pull for Blake. How amazing woudl it have been though to see Andy vs Andre tonight. Anyways he went from "Image is everything" to "Impact is everything" and wow did he ever make an impact.

I know what you mean. I'm 22, and I originally gave tennis a chance when I was 6 or 7 years old, a little kid, because my older brother played and watched it all the time. Given the time frame we're talking about, the entire generation of players that I grew up with are now all gone, none more painful to me than Agassi. I mean:

Thomas Muster retired in 99
Jim Courier retired in 00
Patrick Rafter retired in 02
Pete Sampras retired in 02
Richard Karjicek retired in 03
Alex Corretja retired in 03
Michael Chang retired in 03
Goran Ivanisevic retired in 04
Todd Martin retired in 04
and Andre Agassi retired in 06

Nobody from that generation is left. :sad:

This must be how you 40+ year olds felt when there was no one left from the Ashe/Connors/Borg/McEnroe/Lendl generation.

The 'new' generation isn't looking that great yet. We've got this one seemingly unbeatable player - Roger Federer - and maybe three others who are all obviously incredibly talented but have all failed to show any kind of consistancy yet - Andy Roddick, Layton Hewitt, and Rafael Nadal. I like James Blake but I don't think his name will be spoken in the same sentences with Roddick, Hewitt, and Nadal when all is said and done.

I don't know. I just want Federer to have some consistant competition because it's boring watching him just decimate everyone that gets in his way. I think Nadal and Roddick are the best chances for consistant competition for Federer. I think Hewitt's game just isn't powerful enough.

Just finished lunch while watching Roddick finish off Becker in 3 straight sets. Showing women now, and supposedly some Agassi tributes and highlights to follow. Needless to say, I hit the record button to see what I missed yesterday :(

I know exactly what you mean about an entire generation being gone namkcuR. I started paying attention in about 1989 It's hard to remember but I know it was before Agassi won his first Grand Slam. back then there was also Stefan Edberg and Boris Becker. It's amazing how many players came in after Agassi who managed to reach the top 5 or 3 or even number one yet even those players faded out before Agassi who was still ranked number one midway through the 2003 season. His longevity is phenomenal especially when you consider how far Sampras's game had fallen in his final two years of his career. Agassi's game never faltered and in fact probably was still improving had it not been for his wonky back. His serve was better than ever, his volleying was better than ever, his composure was better than ever and his fitness level was second to none(well maybe Nadal but he's a freak lol). It's a real shame his back gave out otherwise it's not unreasonable to think he could've seriously been a Grand Slam contender untill he was 40(maybe). I mean really think about it, who in the history of the game was still improving 21 years into their career? It's unreal.

AS for today Roddick looked awesome. I actually found myself pulling for Becker. I just figured what an amazing story that woudl be if he had gone on to do something special(again). Nadal looked good, Haas vs Ginepri was a great match.

I also was rooting for Becker today... he showed me yesterday that he's a great player, whatever last name he has...

I would've loved a Becker-Blake finale.. but that's hard...

LETS GO BLAKE!!!

ANYONE BUT NADAL!!! :madspit: :madspit:

(could you imagine what've happened if the final got to Agassi vs Federer 2?.... and imagine a 5th set recovering triumph for Agassi... now THAT... god... I can feel ACTUAL tears of joy for the awesomness that thing could've been... :sad: :drool:

IMAGINE THE ROAR OF THE CROWD if that would've happened... but it didn't... LEGEND LIVE FOREVER... LONG LIVE AGASSI)

namkcuR said:

The 'new' generation isn't looking that great yet. We've got this one seemingly unbeatable player - Roger Federer - and maybe three others who are all obviously incredibly talented but have all failed to show any kind of consistancy yet - Andy Roddick, Layton Hewitt, and Rafael Nadal. I like James Blake but I don't think his name will be spoken in the same sentences with Roddick, Hewitt, and Nadal when all is said and done.

I don't know. I just want Federer to have some consistant competition because it's boring watching him just decimate everyone that gets in his way. I think Nadal and Roddick are the best chances for consistant competition for Federer. I think Hewitt's game just isn't powerful enough.

I am also sick of seeing Federer win all the time.But i think Nadal is steadily improving on grass and the hard courts, and he is the best bet to consistently challenge Roger. I dont think Andy can beat Federer even 3 times out of 10, let alone challenge him on an even level. His game is too one-dimensional.
Maybe a youngster like Gasquet or Murray could come on leaps and bounds and challenge for the top spot.

Lleyton Vs Roddick tommrow :hyper:

I'm most excited as FINALLY Australian Free-to-Air Tele will begin its coverage of the open on Thursday!...which is just great as most aussies are already out! :lol:

:up:

I remember the mullet, and him being the only guy wearing bright coloured shirts on the field.

Talk about that amazing comeback from no. 141 on ATP chart back to the top and winning more big tournaments. One of the very few players who won all 4 big ones, and the Olympic medal, Davis cup and the Masters.

It's the end of a generation with him - Sampras, Courier, Chang, Ivanisevic etc... the follow ups to the likes of McEnroe, Edberg, Lendl and Becker in the 80's.

I don't see anyone being as good and as consistant as those players today except Federer.

Andre Agassi is scheduled to be on Larry King tomorrow at 6:00PM PST.

I watched Andre's last set & tribute on Monday, and as MrsSpringsteen, I cried :scream:

Back
Top Bottom