The Official Athens 2004 Olympics Thread - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2004, 01:19 AM   #76
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:05 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra

And on that note, why when the female beach volleyball players wear such tiny little outfits, do the male players wear such sad baggy crap? C'mon guys, show a bit of skin!! What are you afraid of?
The women wear those for support. Jumping around like that with your boobs flopping all over the place would (I imagine) be extremely uncomfortable. Think sports bra. The bottom is more for cooling than anything.

The men wear the baggy shorts because that's what men (at least normally) wear to the beach. You would not get men playing beach volleyball in speedos. Not only would it be impractical, it'd be absurd to watch, and you'd lose 90% of the male viewing audience. I know I sure as hell wouldn't watch grown men flopping around on the beach in Speedos. Although I suppose the beaters could probably go, it'd certainly be a lot less hot.

Old 08-21-2004, 02:41 AM   #77
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:05 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC

The women wear those for support. Jumping around like that with your boobs flopping all over the place would (I imagine) be extremely uncomfortable. Think sports bra. The bottom is more for cooling than anything.

The men wear the baggy shorts because that's what men (at least normally) wear to the beach. You would not get men playing beach volleyball in speedos. Not only would it be impractical, it'd be absurd to watch, and you'd lose 90% of the male viewing audience. I know I sure as hell wouldn't watch grown men flopping around on the beach in Speedos. Although I suppose the beaters could probably go, it'd certainly be a lot less hot.
Dave, Dave, Dave, I understand the support thing very well, believe me! My question wasn't about why the women wear their outfits in Beach Volleyball, buy why the men insist on wearing such god-awful crap. I'm sorry but those outfits look like something their great-great grannies would wear (same with the basketball players). I'm not saying they need to wear speedos (although they could certainly support all "important" equipment in a speedo, so I don't think it would be impractical), I'd just like to see something that looked more athletic. I'd love to see a really nice lycra shorty body suit on the beach volleyball players (maybe a cross between what the swimmers wear and what the track sprinters wear. They would have great range of motion and would look wonderful too!

Oh, and although I said earlier that I didn't really care who won what events, I am pleased that Tyler Hamilton did so well in the individual time trial (cycling). He has such heartbreaking times in the past two Tour de France's. And his dog died during this year's tour too. So, nice to see good things for him.

Old 08-21-2004, 03:04 AM   #78
War Child

Local Time: 11:05 AM
25 year old gymnast = 40 year old football player
Old 08-21-2004, 03:51 AM   #79
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:05 PM
Jana Pitman made the semis
boomers lost to Puerto Rico
Old 08-21-2004, 05:05 AM   #80
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Leeloo
25 year old gymnast = 40 year old football player
So Khorkina, Hatch, and Bhardwaj are washed up? That's my question. Not is a 25 year old gymnast generally considered old, I know that is the case, but are these particular gymnasts washed up.

Uh...Bono_man2002, what the heck is a boomer?
Old 08-21-2004, 09:10 AM   #81
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by zoney!

Well...you are taking of your own personal opinion of what you saw via a television rebroadcast of an event. There are FAR more things that go into what is being judged than what you see, and have personally judged on.

Well... seems you have jumped to the defense of a person based on what you assume and it may not be correct either. Speaking of questioning the judging, Khorkina herself did that. She was quoted as saying if the judges had been Greek she'd have won gold, and that she lost because she was Russian and Carly was American, then stuck out her tongue!

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...s_040820111954

That's her opinion, mine is that her routines were awkward and not that good compared to other girls I saw, and that her scores were more than generous, and I do think that was because of her past rep, YES that happens in judged sports all the time.

But I can't understand how she gets off acting like the US gets all the favors- other than Mary Lou 20 years ago and the magnificent 7 in '96, maybe a few individual apparatus medals here and there, the US has not been a gymnastics powerhouse like Russia (or old USSR) and Romania. Speaking of judges giving 'favors' what about how the Americans and Canadians were cheated for YEARS in figure skating in favor of Russia, and this is just now coming out. So she needs to put her tongue back in her mouth and hold it!
Old 08-21-2004, 03:24 PM   #82
War Child

Local Time: 12:05 PM
I'm so happy for the three guys who won the gold medal in foil!!
Old 08-21-2004, 07:24 PM   #83
Refugee

Local Time: 10:05 PM
The Ausse swim team did so well, here are a few snippets from the Sydney Morning Herald website,

The Australian swimming team has finished the Athens Olympics as the nation's most successful since the 1956 Melbourne Games.

Australia's won seven gold, five silver and three bronze in the pool to once again finish second on the medal table behind the Americans.

Grant Hackett leaves Athens as only the third swimmer in history to win back-to-back Olympic 1500 metre freestyle titles.

And for the first time since the 1972 Munich Games, the Australian women outswam the men.
Jodie Henry has started her Olympic swimming career with three gold.

Henry was the only woman to set an individual world record in the Athens pool, in the semi-final of the 100 metre freestyle.

Australia's new speed queen also anchored both the medley relay and the women's 4x100 metre freestyle relay to world records and gold medals.

And Ian Thorpe will fly home as the country's greatest Olympian after winning two gold, a silver and a bronze.

and then there is our new Olympic golden girl/world record holder cyclist.......again from the Sydney Morning Herald

Anna Meares heaved herself out of the gate and charged around two laps of the Athens Olympic velodrome to claim gold, a world record and all its glory in the 500 metres time trial early this morning Sydney time.

go Aussies go
Old 08-21-2004, 09:36 PM   #84
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Well I'm completely stuffed and bleary-eyed after waking up at 2.00am every night to watch the swimming, but what an awesome week it was, especially for our Australian women's team - you rock girls! My other highlights were: Michael Phelps, Yana Klochkova, Ian Thorpe vs Hackett in 400, Thorpedo and van den Hoogenband in the 200 freestyle, Hoogie taking gold in 100 freestyle, South African men's team winning 4 x 100 relay, Grant Hackett defending 1500.
Old 08-21-2004, 11:04 PM   #85
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

go read my olympic tennis thread... it was amazing today, with the bronze in singles and the gold in doubles... OH GOD, THIS COUNTRY IS SO HAPPY... TOMORROW THE SINGLES FINALS.... VAMOOOOOOOOOOOOS... LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOO
Old 08-22-2004, 05:10 PM   #86
ONE
love, blood, life

You wouldn't believe the amount of self-restraint I'm exercising not to comment on some of the crap that's been posted here about gymnastics.

But the judges were wrong wrong wrong.

And also, not every thin person has an eating disorder. So there.
Old 08-22-2004, 11:27 PM   #87
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:05 AM
…milie Heymans is my new love.

Old 08-23-2004, 12:17 AM   #88
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees
You wouldn't believe the amount of self-restraint I'm exercising not to comment on some of the crap that's been posted here about gymnastics.

But the judges were wrong wrong wrong.

And also, not every thin person has an eating disorder. So there.

If you want to post, do so. As for Khorkina's weight, she looks substantially thiner (and not in a good way) than she has in the past. Do you not think there is a major problem in women's gymnastics with eating disorders? And I didn't post about every thin person, just about her, because I was shocked at how bad she looks now compared with how she has looked in the past. I wasn't knocking her (or anyone with such a disorder), just noticing that she looks appallingly thin. The long distance runners also have higher rates of eating disorders also, and many of them face similar issues as the gymnasts (although the gymnasts also face the appearance issue). m

And just for the record, both my sister and one of my cousins have dealt with eating disorders, so I actually do have a clue.

Quote:
Excessively Physically Active People

Highly competitive athletes are often perfectionists, a trait common among people with eating disorders.

Women Athletes and Dancers. Women in "appearance" sports, including gymnastics and figure skating, and in endurance sports, such as track and cross-country, are at particular risk for anorexia. Success in ballet also depends on the development of a wiry and extremely slim body. Estimates for episodes of eating disorders among such athletes and performers range from 15% to over 60%.
from University of Maryland Medicine

Another article, this time from Vanderbilt University

Great job by the women Aussie 10 meter platform divers! I felt so sorry for the marathon favorite from Great Britain...she looked so broken when she dropped out. (Speaking of excessively thin...the marathoners also qualify and distance runners are also more susceptible to eating disorders than the general population.) But what a great feeling for the ones who medaled (and the others that had personal bests...just finishing it was a real victory in my eyes). Very cool to see so many people fulfilling longtime dreams (in all sorts of events).
Old 08-23-2004, 03:48 AM   #89
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by indra
As for Khorkina's weight, she looks substantially thiner (and not in a good way) than she has in the past. Do you not think there is a major problem in women's gymnastics with eating disorders? And I didn't post about every thin person, just about her, because I was shocked at how bad she looks now compared with how she has looked in the past. I wasn't knocking her (or anyone with such a disorder), just noticing that she looks appallingly thin. The long distance runners also have higher rates of eating disorders also, and many of them face similar issues as the gymnasts (although the gymnasts also face the appearance issue)
Sure there are plenty of people in gymnastics with eating disorders, but there are also plenty of people (and by plenty of people, I don't mean anyone here) who seem determined to prove that anyone thin must have an eating disorder. I was involved in gymnastics for fifteen years and if I'd gone out to dinner with every person who told me I was too thin I'd have weighed 130lbs within the week. I don't doubt that there are plenty of people in gymnastics who do have that problem, but that doesn't mean it's right to jump to conclusions about anyone who's thinner than average.

Oh I don't know. Maybe this is just a sensitive topic for me, it's already reminded me of people hiding cartons of ensure plus in my locker and telling me not to fall over in case I break. People have such a wonderful sense of humour. I'm going to shut up now because I'm almost sure I'm not saying anything of value anymore.

But the judges were still wrong.
Old 08-23-2004, 06:12 AM   #90
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:05 PM
And a big applause for Leontien Zijlaard-van Moorsel, who ended her professional carreer yesterday. She did that by winning the bronze medal in the women's individual pursuit (on the track).

BBC quote:
Quote:
Holland's Leontien Zijlaard-van Moorsel, a three-time gold medallist in Sydney, took the bronze, beating Australia's Katherine Bates.

It was the Dutch star's last Olympic race, retiring as the most successful cyclist in history with four gold, one silver and a bronze.