The Official 2008 Beijing Olympics Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who says that NBC should ignore anything to do with the United States? They're on the air long enough, though, to occasionally focus on something else. I'm not looking for = time, and I'm pretty sure that none of my posts even come close to suggesting that....I just think that a little time given to other athletes/countries enriches the telecast.

Dude, relax. NBC covered other athletes in Sydney, Athens, Salt Lake and Torino. It's been one day! :madwife:

NBC is no better or worse than 2004.

I meant as of 2004 and onwards.

The 2000 Olympics I remember specifically because of the time difference because they ran almost everything on time delay when they didn't have to. And their gymnastics coverage that year was just atrocious, they cut and spliced it a hundred different ways so you couldn't even follow the competition chronologically.

I want to be able to find out reasonably easy what's on and where. Given the technologies of today and the desire for creating hype around an event, to bolster failing ratings everywhere, I feel like NBC is stuck in 1985. It's like pulling teeth to find a respectable schedule, without tediously going through, sport by sport to check when it's on. And even then, it's not detailed, at all. It just says 'tennis' or whatever. The NBC website isn't very user friendly, IMO.

They are trying to steer most of their coverage to the main NBC broadcast and not even allowing other networks to use footage, to help hype the thing. Antiquated thinking, IMO. They have 5, 6, 7? of their own umbrella networks covering the Olympics, yet they aren't (or I at least I haven't seen) a concerted effort to tell you what's on where. Because they don't want you to change the channel from the main NBC broadcast.

They don't use banners for updates either.

Maybe I am missing it but I watched quite a bit of coverage and quite honestly, they've (NBC) always done this. A very brief and vague summary of schedules, that's my biggest gripe, if you really want to see, XYZ, that is not a major event (like USA mens basketball) you almost have to get lucky to see it.

Like I wanted to see Phelps first race and I fucking missed it. Okay, maybe I missed all the hype just prior to it but I watched volleyball for a solid hour and a half earlier and didn't hear it promo'd one time. "Watch tonight for Phelps at 7eastern ...etc) why? Because I was watching the USA network coverage. That's just absurd, I think.

I want to be able to find out reasonably easy what's on and where. Given the technologies of today and the desire for creating hype around an event, to bolster failing ratings everywhere, I feel like NBC is stuck in 1985. It's like pulling teeth to find a respectable schedule, without tediously going through, sport by sport to check when it's on. And even then, it's not detailed, at all. It just says 'tennis' or whatever. The NBC website isn't very user friendly, IMO.

They are trying to steer most of their coverage to the main NBC broadcast and not even allowing other networks to use footage, to help hype the thing. Antiquated thinking, IMO. They have 5, 6, 7? of their own umbrella networks covering the Olympics, yet they aren't (or I at least I haven't seen) a concerted effort to tell you what's on where. Because they don't want you to change the channel from the main NBC broadcast.

They don't use banners for updates either.

Maybe I am missing it but I watched quite a bit of coverage and quite honestly, they've (NBC) always done this. A very brief and vague summary of schedules, that's my biggest gripe, if you really want to see, XYZ, that is not a major event (like USA mens basketball) you almost have to get lucky to see it.

Like I wanted to see Phelps first race and I fucking missed it. Okay, maybe I missed all the hype just prior to it but I watched volleyball for a solid hour and a half earlier and didn't hear it promo'd one time. "Watch tonight for Phelps at 7eastern ...etc) why? Because I was watching the USA network coverage. That's just absurd, I think.

This is the best thing I could find:

2008 Beijing Summer Olympic Games | TV & Online Listings | Viewing Schedule | NBC Olympics

Still not a great tool, but, not horrid.

Man, I even love the bumps in and out of break....all the images from Beijing, in High fucking Def.....with that music......just awesome....

<------dork.

Do other countries' networks pump their broadcasts full of sappy, annoying "human interest" stories as much as NBC does? Just curious.

Man, I even love the bumps in and out of break....all the images from Beijing, in High fucking Def.....with that music......just awesome....

<------dork.

Hey if you said it, who am I to contradict you?

I usually dont' watch the Olympics, but I'm having some fun right now. Just wish it were 1 already, wanna watch Soccer/football/WHATEVER

Hey if you said it, who am I to contradict you?

I usually dont' watch the Olympics, but I'm having some fun right now. Just wish it were 1 already, wanna watch Soccer/football/WHATEVER

I'm a junkie, watch as much as possible for every Olympics, ever since I was a kid. Summer and Winter.

I'm a junkie, watch as much as possible for every Olympics, ever since I was a kid. Summer and Winter.

I can only really recall watching 2004 late at night when I couldn't sleep, but I know I watched it a lot while I was younger. But that's summer, I love the Winter Olympics.

well NSW, I just came from that website before I started griping, haha.

I could go on and on about it, basically, the format doesn't allow you to get a full scope of what is on and when. It's not horrid, and I know they have a huge task ahead of them but just cave in to some of these antiquated thought processes, that and the schedule beef. Which bugs me more than anything.

Let's say I want to know precisely what's on Sunday afternoon/evening.
I can select Sunday, and find out what times the networks are actually covering.
But there is no event detail.
So, I could select tennis, and I get that days tennis coverage.
1 day, and not even a description at at that.
So, I go day by day by day to get all the tennis dates. Which is already a pain in the ass. So I am full up on the tennis schedule. Well what about fucking anything else that goes on tomorrow? or the next 3 weeks? Tedious bullshit.

You can do it, but it's sort of a pain in the ass.
If I ran NBC sports, I'd be promoting the hell out of the schedule.

Instead of putting out a huge detailed schedule in USA Today or TV guide, much less their wensite, they are trying to get you to watch to get the detailed schedules. Antiquated thinking.

edit* I'll shut up about it, I just don't think it makes good business sense.

Stupid stories on pandas, etc?

If NBC does a story on how the pandas have been waking up at 5:30 every morning to go to the gym to train and staying up until 1:00 to finish their schoolwork, I will put a gun to my mouth.

well NSW, I just came from that website before I started griping, haha.

I could go on and on about it, basically, the format doesn't allow you to get a full scope of what is on and when. It's not horrid, and I know they have a huge task ahead of them but just cave in to some of these antiquated thought processes, that and the schedule beef. Which bugs me more than anything.

Let's say I want to know precisely what's on Sunday afternoon/evening.
I can select Sunday, and find out what times the networks are actually covering.
But there is no event detail.
So, I could select tennis, and I get that days tennis coverage.
1 day, and not even a description at at that.
So, I go day by day by day to get all the tennis dates. Which is already a pain in the ass. So I am full up on the tennis schedule. Well what about fucking anything else that goes on tomorrow? or the next 3 weeks? Tedious bullshit.

Instead of putting out a huge detailed schedule in USA Today or TV guide, much less their wensite, they are trying to get you to watch to get the detailed schedules. Antiquated thinking.

Agreed, that was just the best resource I could actually find on their site.

If NBC does a story on how the pandas have been waking up at 5:30 every morning to go to the gym to train and staying up until 1:00 to finish their schoolwork, I will put a gun to my mouth.

Ha.

We've been getting stories about Beijing and general Chinese stuff, presented by a woman with rather average English skills.

I'm sure when there isn't any sport on we get those stories, but I'm not watching at those times.

I do wish that I could know exactly when events I want to see are on, rather than the vague "In this hour block: gymnastics, swimming, handball, five other sports, and a piece on the value of bamboo"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom