The Official 2006 NBA Playoffs Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Headache in a Suitcase said:
lets go colts...

please, the refs did not 'cause the mavericks to win this series in anyway. what advantage do the mavericks have over the spurs anyway that would make you believe that the David Stern, whom has such a great relationship with Mark Cuban, would tell his officials to give an edge to the Mavs?

heck, the mavs were even whistled for more fouls. if the spurs had pulled it out, i'm sure we'd here maverick fans and, uh, owners complaining about how the refs jobbed them... and that would be bullshit, too. the reason why the mavs had more fouls against them is because the spurs attack the rim, and dallas took more jumpshots. plain and simple, end of story. if you attack the rim you draw more fouls. if you shoot a lot of jumpers, you draw less. period.

and even if for some unknown reason you really believe that cuban payed off the refs (and even made them suspend their #2 scorer for game 6 just to not look suspicious), the spurs still had the ball with a chance to win the series at the end of regulation. they missed.

now back to reality... that really was a great, great series, capped off by an epic game 7 in which the two hall of fame players on the court were both at the top of their games. just think about that for a second...

Tim Duncan - 12 of 24 for 41 points, 15 rebounds, 6 assists, 3 blocks
Dirk Nowitzki, 11 of 20 for 37 points, 15 rebounds, 3 assists, 15 of 16 from the line

that was an all time performance... an espn instant classic, so to speak... that we witnessed last night.

THAT was great basketball... and certainly made up for the eye-sore detroit/cleveland game 7, which even watching the highlights of made you want to pull a oedipus and stab yourself in the eyeballs.

I love how every one of Headaches basketball related posts involves eye gouging.

lets go colts...

please, the refs did not 'cause the mavericks to win this series in anyway. what advantage do the mavericks have over the spurs anyway that would make you believe that the David Stern, whom has such a great relationship with Mark Cuban, would tell his officials to give an edge to the Mavs?

heck, the mavs were even whistled for more fouls. if the spurs had pulled it out, i'm sure we'd here maverick fans and, uh, owners complaining about how the refs jobbed them... and that would be bullshit, too. the reason why the mavs had more fouls against them is because the spurs attack the rim, and dallas took more jumpshots. plain and simple, end of story. if you attack the rim you draw more fouls. if you shoot a lot of jumpers, you draw less. period.

As I mentioned earlier, the Mavs deserved to win the series.

And would probably have done it without some extremely questionable calls.

That is what makes me mad. There was no need for being partial.

In my opinion, Bavetta needs to believe that, when you are like 200 hundred years old and you cannot see anymore, it is time to retire.

inmyplace13 said:
Dick Bavetta looks like a giant scab.

He looks like the evil preacher from the Poltergeist movies.

dickbavettagross5sx.jpg

jbeck5mw.jpg

LemonMacPhisto said:

He looks like the evil preacher from the Poltergeist movies.

dickbavettagross5sx.jpg

jbeck5mw.jpg

Maybe he is the same guy... reincarnated.

He needs to retire. A gazillion years in the league does not necessarily make you a better official, especially when you can´t run, hear or see.

I really hope there's a Dallas-Miami Finals

that would be too great.

The two best teams in the playoffs right now IMO.

The draft lottery is tonight. New York could end up giving a #1 overall pick to Chicago, or we could have shit luck with lottery position just like we have every year in the post Jordan-era until 03 with the exception of 99 when we drafted Brand and promptly traded him away for a cup of urine two years later. 01...only #4 and we passed on Jason Richardson and maybe Pau Gasol to draft Eddy "Why should a 7-footer rebound the ball anyway?" Curry. 02...#2 instead of #1, so we took Jay Williams, who promptly almost got himself killed a year later in a motorcycle accident. For that we passed on Amare. 03 and 04 were fine for us.

I swear I'm gonna be pissed off if this pick ends up #3 or #4. I want top-2, preferably #1.

A couple of fun ramblings today from Bill Simmons:

I don't care if Dallas ended up winning -- that was still one of the defining Dick Bavetta Games of all time. Hold your head up high, Dick. Hold your head up high. Duncan shot about 75 free throws and was allowed to jump over everyone's back on every rebound. You did your job. You still have the touch.

I can't believe Tim Duncan has made it through nine years in the league without committing a foul.

U2@NYC said:

Go to bed.

Or better yet, to a baseball game.

Why don't you go get a tasty margarita on the River Walk and stop talking about basketball for awhile?

Oh wait, you don't actually live in or have any affiliation with the Spurs besides the fact that the bald-spotted flop machine is from the same country as you.

bandwagon1la.jpg

Why dont you two stop bickering or you'll both be put on suspension from this forum.

#1 Toronto
#2 Chicago

I wanted #1. But I'm fine with #2.

I want LeMarcus Aldridge. Word is, Toronto wants Morrison or Barginini. We'll probably get Aldridge unless Toronto trades down to a team that wants Aldridge.

the only thing that's semi comforting about the eddy curry trade is that this draft blows

Keep telling yourself that.

If the Knicks suck again next year, we could land Oden.

Good Lord, I haven't seen the Pistons give up this many uncontested layups in...ever.

wow, Headache...you gotta check this site out. I just stumbled upon it.

http://www.selltheknicks.com

It's a site dedicated to getting the fans to create enough of an uproar to get Dolan to sell the Knicks. I kid you not, it's a real site. The guy who started it put his link on the Knicks board on realgm.com. Somebody said they sent the link to the producers of PTI(Pardon The Interruption).

:lmao:

Last edited:
The Heat took the crowd right out of the game by scoring the first 11 points, withstood a third-quarter run that put the Pistons ahead by three, then used an intentional foul against Ben Wallace with 2½ minutes left to prevent Detroit from doing anything that might shift the momentum.

"When they get on a run, they get on a run by making 3s, which is what they were doing and getting back in the game," Riley said afterward. "[If] you've got a 25 percent free throw shooter, I think you have to take your chances on that one possession. It isn't something I would make a habit of doing."

Wallace missed his two free throws and Antoine Walker scored on Miami's next possession, and that was about it.

this is why pat riley is pat riley and ben wallace is the worst offensive player in the entire nba.

inmyplace13 said:

Why don't you go get a tasty margarita on the River Walk and stop talking about basketball for awhile?

Oh wait, you don't actually live in or have any affiliation with the Spurs besides the fact that the bald-spotted flop machine is from the same country as you.

And why don't you focus on answering posts addressed to you, instead of simply jumping at any opportunity to insult me?

Oh, wait, you have the mind of a 3-year old.

Of course.

Enjoy your 5 seconds of fame. :tsk:

What incredible seasons for Cleveland and Clippers! They just lost against the strongest. I'm happy for Mavericks, they deserved the conference final after so many years, and even after Nash's leaving. San Antonio has won a lot, time to make the way to other teams. I'm really excited about Dallas-Phoenix!

I have a feeling this Mavs-Suns Game 1 might have been more exciting if I hadn't been watching it from my office computer on ESPN GameCast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom