The Octagon Bar: Off life support, still alive and kicking!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And with that, I can't think of anything else to say that would be even remotely appropriate. :wink:

Uhh...

*turns on the jukebox*

Dance?

:dance:

Oh, perfect timing!

The winter here sucks balls, I was really hoping you weren't planning on coming then.

It's absolutely beautiful around here in July. We have Canada Day on the 1st of the month, which is always a huge party. We've got the waterfront boardwalk, which has actually been named the best in the world on a few occasions...there's tons to see and do here in the summer months.

I'll stop before I start rambling here. Were you thinking of something specific to do while you were up here? Or just a general touristy visit?

*resumes dancing*

Well if you can make it for the Canada Day festivities, I'd really recommend that.

Usually the standard tourist trip involves lots of boardwalk visits, a trip to Citadel Hill (which is right downtown, 5 blocks up from the harbour), and a bit of a trip down the South Shore to Peggy's Cove and Lunenburg (if you have a car - if not, don't bother jumping on a tour, you'll get gouged for all you're worth). A really nice spot which is also right on the water is the Maritime Museum. Lots of stuff about maritime and local history, huge exhibits on the Titanic and the Halifax Explosion...interesting stuff for sure. Of course, there's also the Bluenose which is permanently docked here. If you've ever seen a Canadian dime, you've seen the Bluenose. Fastest schooner in the world for something like 25 years, and was never once defeated in any race. We also have the Public Gardens, which has been named the best example of a Victorian-era garden in North America. It takes up 2 whole city blocks, right downtown.

There's not much to speak of in the way of sports in the summer, as just about everything involving sports in Halifax revolves around our local junior hockey team, the Mooseheads.

One thing you definitely need to do while here though is to take the Alexander Keith's brewery tour. If you've ever seen me order a Keith's in the bar, it's the beer that comes from here. Alexander Keith is such a Halifax figure that he was actually proclaimed mayor. Apparently there was an election for mayor in 1820 (or somewhere thereabouts), and Keith didn't run despite being asked to by nearly everyone. The election had a near-zero turnout, and after the election there was a public meeting where the mayor-elect was effectively forced by the crowd to resign, and Alexander Keith was proclaimed mayor, upon which time he was then re-elected for life. This beer is to Halifax what Yuengling is to Philadelphia, except that it's about 10 times bigger and Keith's is actually good.

We've also got more pubs and bars per capita than anywhere else in North America.

Everyone who comes here always comments on how nice and friendly everyone is. And it's true. Locals here will do anything to make you happy (within reason, of course. :wink: ). Hell, local drivers will even stop for jaywalkers, no matter how badly they get cut off.

It's a really really nice place. You'll love it, I promise. :)

*wonders where that old barmaid's outfit went*

:hmm:

Well, I'm off to Italian class, be back in a little over an hour.

Ciao, bella. :flirt:

DaveC said:
Well if you can make it for the Canada Day festivities, I'd really recommend that.

Usually the standard tourist trip involves lots of boardwalk visits, a trip to Citadel Hill (which is right downtown, 5 blocks up from the harbour), and a bit of a trip down the South Shore to Peggy's Cove and Lunenburg (if you have a car - if not, don't bother jumping on a tour, you'll get gouged for all you're worth). A really nice spot which is also right on the water is the Maritime Museum. Lots of stuff about maritime and local history, huge exhibits on the Titanic and the Halifax Explosion...interesting stuff for sure. Of course, there's also the Bluenose which is permanently docked here. If you've ever seen a Canadian dime, you've seen the Bluenose. Fastest schooner in the world for something like 25 years, and was never once defeated in any race. We also have the Public Gardens, which has been named the best example of a Victorian-era garden in North America. It takes up 2 whole city blocks, right downtown.

There's not much to speak of in the way of sports in the summer, as just about everything involving sports in Halifax revolves around our local junior hockey team, the Mooseheads.

One thing you definitely need to do while here though is to take the Alexander Keith's brewery tour. If you've ever seen me order a Keith's in the bar, it's the beer that comes from here. Alexander Keith is such a Halifax figure that he was actually proclaimed mayor. Apparently there was an election for mayor in 1820 (or somewhere thereabouts), and Keith didn't run despite being asked to by nearly everyone. The election had a near-zero turnout, and after the election there was a public meeting where the mayor-elect was effectively forced by the crowd to resign, and Alexander Keith was proclaimed mayor, upon which time he was then re-elected for life. This beer is to Halifax what Yuengling is to Philadelphia, except that it's about 10 times bigger and Keith's is actually good.

We've also got more pubs and bars per capita than anywhere else in North America.

Everyone who comes here always comments on how nice and friendly everyone is. And it's true. Locals here will do anything to make you happy (within reason, of course. :wink: ). Hell, local drivers will even stop for jaywalkers, no matter how badly they get cut off.

It's a really really nice place. You'll love it, I promise. :)

Awesome!! Thanks so much. :D :hug:

So exactly how many people are you waiting for? :wink:

That was probably the most pointless Italian class ever. We went over the midterm and last class' homework. :slant:

DaveC said:
So exactly how many people are you waiting for? :wink:

That was probably the most pointless Italian class ever. We went over the midterm and last class' homework. :slant:

Ummm..... You and my Stud Monkey? :wink:

That sucks. Mid-terms already? Where in hell did this year go?

I complimented my monkey on his nice shirt today. :combust: It probably went over his head though because he's got an orientation to speak at this afternoon. :angry:

But still... :cute:

Oh, I know. :angel:

Where did everyone else go, anyways? Before I left for class, there were something like 5 or 6 of us here. :scratch:

Back
Top Bottom