The Mullet, Ireland Superthread - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2008, 08:49 AM   #76
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 12:04 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

Good luck with everything, Vazza.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:53 AM   #77
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Axver, how are you coming on your CD exchange playlist?

Old 05-14-2008, 08:56 AM   #78
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2
Axver, how are you coming on your CD exchange playlist?
Still not even 100% on the artists, heh. I cut The Bats since they're in my Dunedin Sound list. At the moment, I've got The Shadows, Solar Powered People, Chroma Key, and Anathema, but 3 of those 4 could be ditched (The Shadows, of course, stay).

I don't suppose there are any bands I've used in DI or otherwise mentioned that you'd like more of an intro to? I've had a hard time deciding what I want to use here.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-14-2008, 09:00 AM   #79
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Still not even 100% on the artists, heh. I cut The Bats since they're in my Dunedin Sound list. At the moment, I've got The Shadows, Solar Powered People, Chroma Key, and Anathema, but 3 of those 4 could be ditched (The Shadows, of course, stay).

I don't suppose there are any bands I've used in DI or otherwise mentioned that you'd like more of an intro to? I've had a hard time deciding what I want to use here.
I liked the single songs I've heard by God Is An Astronaut and The Verlaines.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:01 AM   #80
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

That couldn't have been more boring if it had tried. I probably did that as a warm-up when I took drum lessons at age 5.

Good luck with everything, Vazza.
It was pretty boring, and pretty hilarious as a u2.com video, but I do think the guitar at the beginning sounded promising and the constant symbols are a little different than the rest of the 00s.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:02 AM   #81
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:34 PM
Quote:

It just seems to me that they're lazy. It says something that it's only May and because we haven't heard anything, some fans are already scared the album won't come in NOVEMBER, half a year away. Most other bands I follow would have only just got to the studio or wouldn't even be there yet for a November release!

I think the last couple of albums show U2 just don't have the passion for music any more. They are rock stars, not rock musicians. I have no faith in them to produce good music any more. I believe they COULD if they were still interested in music, but they aren't. Bono wants to save Africa, Larry's an idiot, Adam's got a foot in the grave, and Edge is on Mars.
Truer words, etc.

Watched the Late Late show interview they did in 1988 recently, and it was interesting to note that Bono thought it took too long to record JT. He thought four months was a ridiculous amount of time.

It's weird, the 80s Bono wasn't exactly the opposite of who he is now (and I'm perfectly aware that people change over 20 odd years), but he sure was a hell of a lot different. Or less lazy.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:02 AM   #82
Blue Crack Addict

(I stuck around cause I saw a thread on aid and civil war in iq...i am pretending that writing a response in some way helped me prepare for my final friday in Political Economy of Africa )
Old 05-14-2008, 09:03 AM   #83
Vocal parasite

Quote:

I liked the single songs I've heard by God Is An Astronaut and The Verlaines.
Probably phanan rather than I could do the best intro to God Is An Astronaut. I haven't actually checked out their latest album yet.

The Verlaines are in my Dunedin Sound disc. Beyond a few songs, I'm actually not that into them. Death And The Maiden and New Kind Of Hero own, though.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-14-2008, 09:04 AM   #84
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Varitek
Old 05-14-2008, 09:04 AM   #85
Blue Crack Addict

oooh i see this is the 2nd time i've missed a "bash u2 in secret so iq doesn't turn into a mess" talk. last time i argued with axver about it on aim, this time i'm gonna tear myself away.

but yeah, i'll be pissed if they can't put out an album after four years and with like a year's worth of work - weren't they working by this time last year? that is indeed lazy, distracted, uncommitted, or something.

maybe they should just quit with the new stuff and do a bunch of farewell tours where they play their whole catalogue
Old 05-14-2008, 09:05 AM   #86
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Probably phanan rather than I could do the best intro to God Is An Astronaut. I haven't actually checked out their latest album yet.

The Verlaines are in my Dunedin Sound disc. Beyond a few songs, I'm actually not that into them. Death And The Maiden and New Kind Of Hero own, though.
I look forward to your Dunedin Sound introduction. Have you put much thought into how you'll introduce people to modern prog? I have to say I am really stuck.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:06 AM   #87
Vocal parasite

Quote:
pretty hilarious as a u2.com video
This aspect, I can't get over. Good fucking god, they're hacks. When they do occasionally get some sort of clip, it's Bono rambling about shit and forgetting the lyrics over the top of Wave Of Sorrow, or Larry fart-arsing around on some rather dull work.

The guitar that's briefly heard is honestly too insubstantial for me to even start to care.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-14-2008, 09:10 AM   #88
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by The Sad Punk
Watched the Late Late show interview they did in 1988 recently, and it was interesting to note that Bono thought it took too long to record JT. He thought four months was a ridiculous amount of time.
Really?! Oh, that's too funny. He says that, then they go and take twenty years to put out six albums.

Quote:
It's weird, the 80s Bono wasn't exactly the opposite of who he is now (and I'm perfectly aware that people change over 20 odd years), but he sure was a hell of a lot different. Or less lazy.
Yeah, back then he read a lot of creative stuff, gave interesting rants, could sing well, and wanted to make music. What the fuck happened?

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-14-2008, 09:13 AM   #89
Vocal parasite

Quote:
maybe they should just quit with the new stuff and do a bunch of farewell tours where they play their whole catalogue

They clearly enjoy playing live more than they like being in the studio. I think they need to break out of this mindset that you can't tour unless you have a new album to promote.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-14-2008, 09:14 AM   #90
Vocal parasite

Quote:

I look forward to your Dunedin Sound introduction. Have you put much thought into how you'll introduce people to modern prog? I have to say I am really stuck.
I have about 3 hours of music (21 tracks) sitting in a playlist that I need to sort. At this stage, it has far too much Porcupine Tree compared to everything else, but I'm not sure this is a bad thing.

Gig pictures | Blog

Tags
superthread