The Most Beautiful Song You've Ever Heard?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
joyfulgirl said:
"Winter" by Tori Amos is one of them...although it has suffered from overplay in my house.

Also Tori's covers of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and "Somewhere Over the Rainbow". Hell, about 20 Tori Amos songs qualify!

Tori Amos is cool. I haven't heard a lot of her stuff, but I like what I have heard.

"Spark" and "Silent All These Years" are awesome songs (I love the piano in "Spark", my god, she's one mean piano player in that song!).

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:

(I love the piano in "Spark", my god, she's one mean piano player in that song!).

Angela

In every song, Angela! Let me know if I can help get you started on some Tori. I love it when people get into her!

Oh, and I love "Crush," too. :heart: Kind of an unusual song--it just doesn't follow the usual pattern.

U2ME3 said:
REM - Electrolite

Definitely second this one. Electrolite is possibly one of REM's best songs ever in my humble opinion. A perfect melody and it has a violin in it too! The album is worth a look too - New Adventures In Hi-Fi contains both REM's best and worst career moments. Best, see ebow the letter; worst, see Binky the Door Mat. Of course I'm talking to myself anyway so who cares.

Wow...just thinking of all the songs listed wants to make me cry! You guys have great taste! Instead of making a huge list of my favorites, I'll just say one that wasn't mentioned:

"Feels Like Home" performed by Bonnie Raitt. I'm not sure who wrote it though. For some reason I'm thinking Randy Newman...?

You guys have great taste! Instead of making a huge list of my favorites, I'll just say one that wasn't mentioned:

Same here, I'd like to add Wild is the Wind - David Bowie

Wow - good question.

I agree with "As tears go by" (also Out of time and She's a rainbow) from the Stones and "Yesterday" (also The long and winding road and Julia) from the Beatles and I agree with "That I would be good" from Alanis Morisette. Great choices!

"Somebody" from Depeche Mode
"Everbody hurts" from REM
"Into my arms" from Nick Cave
"Somewhere over the rainbow" and "Auld lang syne" and "Amazing grace" and "Holy night" from evergreens
"Tears in heaven"/"River of tears" from Eric Clapton
"My way" from Frank Sinatra

From the classical music, "Nessun dorma". If anyone has heard it, the part where Pavarotti hits two high C's is unforgettable. (the "Vinceeeeeeero" part)

As for U2...it's a tie between With or without you and Stuck in a moment.

I heard "Songbird" a while ago in a TV special about Fleetwod Mac and I quite liked it. :)

Last edited:
Also "Love me tender" from Elvis.

I thought of more U2: Running to stand still, Heartland, All I want is you, Stay, Kite, In a little while

Also "Love me tender" from Elvis and Unchained melody (good choice!) for standards.

I thought of more U2: Running to stand still, Heartland, All I want is you, Stay, Kite, In a little while.

there are so many, so I just want to tell the story of this one

I have an old friend who is becoming a very talented luthier. I hope Edge drops in to his store when he visits Australia. He won't regret adding a "G.E. Hollingsworth " to his collection. I love the smell of his workshop, all the beautiful timbers, the grain, the beauty of the guitar body shapes..ahhhhh.
He told me he'd learnt a new "celtic" type song. I begged him to play it, because I only had a brief time to visit. He apologised for possible bum notes( there weren't any) He sat on the stool and played on one of his guitars and the tale the song told brought a tear. Such beautiful use of words and a very touching subject. I was so moved, outside th eworld racing by, the music brought us totally in to the moment.He wasn't sure of the title but knew the guy from Fairport Convention wrote it. I figured it may be called "Red Molly" and just did a web search. My son is trying to work it out now from the tab, without having heard the song...I'll have to get a copy of it somewhere for him.I want to learn it too.
It is called "1952 Vincent Black Lightning" by Richard Thompson.

" he smiled to see her cry":sad: "and he gave her the keys.....I see angels on Ariels in leather and chrome swooping down to carry me home..."

there are so very many beautiful songs and beautiful versions...eg."First Time Ever I Saw Your Face"
I'll try not to write a tome each time I discover one.:yes: :wave:
can't resist adding a pic...I'm so proud of what he is teaching himself...one of his electrics

Attachments

• bdjan13-2003.jpg
    bdjan13-2003.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 55
Imagine from John Lennon is a great pick whoever beat me to it! :) Also Jealous Guy is a gem.

Every breath you take from The Police.

This is going to lower my music cred around here, but "Goodnight My Angel (Lullaby)" by Billy Joel is a beautiful song.

Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley
Stay & Running To Stand Still - U2
North Dakota - Lyle Lovett
Fields Of Gold - Eva Cassidy (Sting cover)
Bulletproof (Wish I Was) - Radiohead
Spoon - DMB
The Lonely 1 - Wilco
Landslide - Fleetwood Mac
The Drugs Don't Work - The Verve

and that's about all I can think of at the mo'...

Diemen said:

Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley
The Lonely 1 - Wilco
Landslide - Fleetwood Mac

Landslide is possibly my favorite song ever.

I'll add:

California Stars- Wilco
Beatles- Something
Coldplay- Yellow
Bonnie Raitt- I Can't Make You Love Me
Ryan Adams- Come Pick Me Up
Lucinda Williams- Side of the Road
My Darling- Wilco

Too tired to think much past recent listening, but I still have a few which are just so lovely.

Hallelujah -- Jeff Buckley's version

Glow Worm -- The Church -- Strange title, but lovely song. Sounds as if it is a romantic love song, but Steve Kilbey actually wrote it (well the lyrics anyway, the music was by the whole band) so that some day his twin daughters would know how very much he loved them. So very sweet.

Maya -- The Church -- Regret never sounded so lovely.

June -- The Church -- "June arrives, rumoured days, days of willing into being. In the nest, futures hatch. It's such a lovely thing to see." "June is here. There is love, in the background constantly." Beautiful song. And one of the twins mentioned above name is Electka June.

For Whom Do You Sail? -- Gersey "Nervous and hopeless and dressed to believe" and "For you only I could fail/Still I ask for whom do you sail?" Beautifully sad.

heres songs:

Elton john - tiny dancer
enya - only time
u2 - unforgettable fire
u2 - night and day
u2 - one tree hill

an some others i can't recall now.

"Pyramid Song" and "Fake Plastic Trees" by Radiohead

"Everybody Hurts" and "Imitation of Life" by R.E.M.

"Yellow" and "The Scientist", "We Never Change" by Coldplay

"Tomorrow", "If God Will Send His Angels", "One", "Running to Stand Still", "One Tree Hill", "Where The Streets Have No Name", "Walk On", "In A Little While", and "Love is Blindness" by U2

Back
Top Bottom