The Mist (Stephen King) - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Old 11-27-2007, 11:01 AM   #16
Blue Crack Supplier
Local Time: 03:35 PM
Look, I can quote things from the RT forums as well:

It's indefensible? Well, I'm about to defend it:

Thomas Jane's character had just come from seeing his dead wife strung up in a cocoon by giant spiders. The survivors then see a ridiculously massive monster walk over their car, and they feel miniscule and doomed. Knowing what these creatures do, and out of gas, they had every reason to believe they were going to suffer a horrible, painful death. Jane didn't want that for his son. The fact that the army sweeps in right then and saves the day is a terrible irony, and it horrified and disturbed me, which is what a good horror film should do.

What's odd to me is that if spiders had swarmed in on Jane's character after he exits the car and brutally killed him as film faded to black, everyone would think he made the right decision. I hate to use the cliche hindsight is 20/20... but...

Old 11-27-2007, 11:12 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 02:35 PM
Doesn't change the fact that they fucking drove down a barren dirt road for god-knows-how-long until they simply ran out of gas. Great, now we're in the middle of nowhere, and we can't see shit. The point is, the script just doesn't make any sense. What kind of logic is that to follow? How about, "Oh we have 3/4 of a tank here, that's enough to travel so many miles, let's try to drive to hotel, or this mall, or this GAS STATION, or something that even resembles the slightest lick of human intelligence. If David even cared a little bit about those people and his son, his grand plan for escape would have amounted to more than "Let's just drive South through the woods until we run out of gas and die."

The entire plot is just so obviously contrived to lead to that "tragic" moment at the end of the film. And it's just so devoid of reason to begin with, that the effect of it should be lost on anyone even half awake during the film.

Then on top of it we have the whole "ironic" (more like completely fucking ridiculous) arrival of the army convoy IMMEDIATELY after that happens, along with the magical disappearance of the mist.

I'm sorry, but no amount of reasoning can justly defend such a half-assed, asinine script.

Old 11-27-2007, 11:20 AM   #18
Blue Crack Supplier
this is going to be another one of those agree to disagree moments I suppose...
Old 11-28-2007, 07:45 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
I don't know. I get what he was trying to do with the ending, but it just doesn't work for me. If they left out the army stuff and just had David get eaten by something or whatever I wouldn't have minded as much...but with the army, it was too much.

Also I generally get pissed off when bad stuff happens to babies & kids in movies. It just turns me off. Take "The Hills Have Eyes" for example...speaking of B monster flicks. Pretty cool movie for what it was, but if the mutants had killed the baby I'd have hated that too.