The Joker - Page 59 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2008, 09:40 PM   #871
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:02 AM
back on topic...

Many Movie Theaters Decide to Leave the Bat Signal on Till Dawn

LOS ANGELES — “The Dark Knight” just spilled over into early morning.

In a frenzy, fans have bought so many late-night tickets for the July 18 opening of the next Batman movie that theaters in places like San Diego, Chicago, and even Eagan, Minn., are scheduling 6 a.m. screenings for those who can’t get in at midnight or 3 in the morning.

Movie theaters have sometimes opened their doors at odd hours for their most highly anticipated films, say, an entry in the “Star Wars” series, and midnight shows have become part of the summer blockbuster ritual.

But all-night sellouts far in advance of an opening have come only with the near ubiquity of online ticket sales. Fandango.com, for instance, reports well over 1,500 wee-hour showings for “The Dark Knight” in theaters that typically do not open their doors before about 10 a.m.

“The Dark Knight,” which stars Christian Bale as Batman, is directed by Christopher Nolan. It builds on his “Batman Begins,” which took in more than $200 million at the domestic box office for Warner Brothers after opening to a solid, but not spectacular, $49 million in domestic ticket sales in June 2005. The film also had strong sales on DVD.

This time much of the fan interest has been driven by word of a career-topping performance by Heath Ledger, the Australian actor who died in January. His louche interpretation of the Joker has already inspired Oscar talk.

“In the public mind, opening weekends have been eventized,” said Thomas Tull, the chairman of Legendary Pictures and an executive producer of “The Dark Knight.”

Increasingly, fans have paid certain movie openings — most recently that of “Sex and the City” — the attention once reserved for rock concerts, basketball games or the introduction of a hot product like the iPhone.

About 38 percent of ticket buyers polled by Fandango said in a recent survey that they intended to take some or all of July 18 off to see “The Dark Knight.”

While Sony Pictures opened “Hancock,” Will Smith’s somewhat arch take on superheroes, to a respectable $66 million last weekend (it has made more than $100 million to date), much of the audience had jumped ahead.

According to Movietickets.com, about one in four of the respondents to a survey of moviegoers under 25 polled between June 24 and June 28 said “The Dark Knight” was the next movie he or she expected to see in theaters.

Viewers seeking Imax screenings may have to wait. All of the first week’s showings at Lincoln Square are sold out, except for some 6 a.m. screenings, Whit Clay, an Imax spokesman, said.

Source: NY Times

they STILL don't sell tickets here...

and opening day is next Wednesday... so the real premiere should be Tuesday at midnight... I'M SO THERE !!!

Old 07-10-2008, 10:17 AM   #872
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:02 AM
The theater I always go to isn't selling tickets yet either, but the same chain in other towns is. Have no idea why. I want to see it the day it opens, I can't wait.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:45 AM   #873
Blue Crack Distributor

I really cannot wait until next weekend.

I have an IMAX theatre really closeby, I may see it there.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:51 PM   #874
ONE
love, blood, life

I don't know if any of this was to known to you guys or not, but it was on Wikipedia in the entry for 'The Penguin':

Quote:
Nolan Series
In response to speculation that the Penguin, with Philip Seymour Hoffman approached for the role, would have a small role as a British arms dealer in The Dark Knight, franchise director Christopher Nolan said he considered the character difficult to portray on film, explaining, "I'd be more excited to have Philip Seymour Hoffman in the film than to have the Penguin. There are certain characters that are easier to mesh with the more real take on Batman we're doing. The Penguin would be tricky."[3] Recently, viral marketing for the Dark Knight included a Gotham Times newspaper, featuring a newspaper ad for the Iceberg Lounge, one of the Penguin's businesses.Prior to the release of The Dark Knight in 2008, David Goyer ruled out using the Penguin or Catwoman as a villain in a future film, prefering to use antagonists from the comic that had not yet been portrayed on the big screen
Old 07-11-2008, 08:42 PM   #875
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 07:02 AM
i'm getting really excited about this movie. plus i found out the theater right by my house is having a midnight premiere on thursday

edit: k, i bought tickets! it's either then or in a week or two after its release. i don't think i can stand to wait
Old 07-11-2008, 09:00 PM   #876
The Male

Local Time: 05:02 AM
Hoping this hasn't been posted yet:

YouTube - The Dark Knight Trailer Spoof

Quite hilarious

Now.
Old 07-12-2008, 01:17 AM   #877
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Having fun with the changing weather in Illinois...and wanting to meet Bono again. Please...for christ sakes call me Weldy!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Hoping this hasn't been posted yet:

YouTube - The Dark Knight Trailer Spoof

Quite hilarious
I have this on my favorites
Old 07-12-2008, 03:37 AM   #878
Blue Crack Addict

If Mad Hatter shows up at all, he should be played by Michael Emerson.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:34 PM   #879
Refugee

If you check out any of the websites for The Dark Knight, they've all been "jokerized" for this week's premiere.
Old 07-13-2008, 01:21 PM   #880
Blue Crack Supplier

Just bought tickets for the midnight show at my favorite theatre in Los Angeles.

I'm excited. The only bad thing is that they don't usually show more than a couple trailers, so I'm worried we're not going to get the Watchmen teaser.
Old 07-13-2008, 01:24 PM   #881
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Just bought tickets for the midnight show at my favorite theatre in Los Angeles.

I'm excited. The only bad thing is that they don't usually show more than a couple trailers, so I'm worried we're not going to get the Watchmen teaser.
It might get on there---it's a fairly well-anticipated movie, especially for the crowd that'd go to a MN show of TDK.
Old 07-13-2008, 02:50 PM   #882
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Ugh, my chances to go to a midnight show or nil, I'll end up seeing it after opening weekend, too.

Oh well, I better get a Watchmen trailer when I go.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:00 AM   #883
New Yorker

Looks like Batman beats the shit out of him! OMG!!

Old 07-14-2008, 08:48 AM   #884
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:02 PM
That shot of Dent looking completely broken at 1:08 is some powerful stuff. I think Eckhart is going to have an equally amazing performance as the much more publicized Ledger.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:44 AM   #885
Blue Crack Distributor

I hope we get to see it this weekend, or early next. Some friends have tickets for the Imax for the 22nd since all the showings this weekend were sold out.

Tags
batman, heath ledger, the dark knight, the joker