The: Hives, Strokes, Doves, Vines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
did anyone catch 'The Vines' on Letterman?

Holy crap! Craig Nicholls disgraced 'Get Free' and looked like a complete drunken, drugged out wanna-be Cobain, but in my heart of hearts, I did find it very entertaining.

no disk said:
Craig Nicholls disgraced 'Get Free' and looked like a complete drunken, drugged out wanna-be

This is why the Vines turn me off. I was even liking them til I saw the video. He looks like he's lost control of his face and tongue and he's all glassy eyed. :crack:

Last edited:
Roger that, clarity. He looked completely out of it.

However, I've heard a few good interviews with Nicholls and he seems pretty together and ambitious. So, time will tell, I guess.

If you haven't heard Doves yet, you are MISSING OUT!!!
I suggest you start by downloading these songs:

* The Cedar Room
* There Goes The Fear
* Sea Song
* Satellites
* Pounding
* Words

That should give you a good taste of this band. Download 'Words' first (not because it's their best song, but because it's super catchy). 'The Cedar Room' and 'Pounding' are two of their best songs (according to a recent Interference poll). You'll love them!:)

All of you smart people..

What would be the best Doves album to start with? I can't download any mp3s (my computer sucks) but as I know very little about Doves, I need help. ;) Recommendations?

Although I don't have Doves' first album, I don't think you could go wrong starting with their second (Last Broadcast). That's what I did and I absolutely love it. :)

elevatedmole said:

What would be the best Doves album to start with? I can't download any mp3s (my computer sucks) but as I know very little about Doves, I need help. ;) Recommendations?

Either one is incredible. I think it really depends on what you're looking for. I personally prefer Lost Souls. I think it is one of the most beautiful, intensely emotional albums ever. It's very atmospheric and moody and just gorgeous. The Last Broadcast is much more uplifting and catchy (not in a bad way at all).

elevatedmole said:

Well, they are both VERY different albums. Both very good, though. I guess I could put it to you this way: As an *album*, Lost Souls is better, in my opinion, but The Last Broadcast has a higher number of "stong" songs. I guess it would be the difference between say, ATYCLB and Zooropa. Which album do you prefer? If you prefer ATYCLB, I suggest you get The Last Broadcast first. However, if you like Zooropa more, you'd probably appreciate the moody, sometimes dark, sometimes bright, sometimes mind-blowing, and sometimes soft and loud textures of Lost Souls. If you like the starkness of Radiohead, get Lost Souls first. If you like upbeat, sunny-weather breazes and ocean harmonies, get Last Broadcast. I should say both albums have elements of each, but for the purposes recommending something, I have to generalize.

To give you a bit more of an idea, I'll tell you which albums the songs I suggested for downoading are from:

* The Cedar Room (The Last Broadcast)
* There Goes The Fear (Lost Souls)
* Sea Song (Lost Souls)
* Satellites (The Last Broadcast)
* Pounding (The Last Broadcast)
* Words (The Last Broadcast)

Hope that helps.:)

Last edited:
Michael Griffiths said:

Well, they are both VERY different albums. Both very good, though. I guess I could put it to you this way: As an *album*, Lost Souls is better, in my opinion, but The Last Broadcast has a higher number of "stong" songs. I guess it would be the difference between say, ATYCLB and Zooropa. Which album do you prefer? If you prefer ATYCLB, I suggest you get The Last Broadcast first. However, if you like Zooropa more, you'd probably appreciate the moody, sometimes dark, sometimes bright, sometimes mind-blowing, and sometimes soft and loud textures of Lost Souls. If you like the starkness of Radiohead, get Lost Souls first. If you like upbeat, sunny-weather breazes and ocean harmonies, get Last Broadcast. I should say both albums have elements of each, but for the purposes recommending something, I have to generalize.

To give you a bit more of an idea, I'll tell you which albums the songs I suggested for downoading are from:

* The Cedar Room (The Last Broadcast)
* There Goes The Fear (Lost Souls)
* Sea Song (Lost Souls)
* Satellites (The Last Broadcast)
* Pounding (The Last Broadcast)
* Words (The Last Broadcast)

Hope that helps.:)

Thanks Michael :D Much appreciated.

elevatedmole said:

Thanks Michael :D Much appreciated.
This is strange -- I edited my post, but there are still a couple errors in it. I have to tell you: 'The Cedar Room' is from Lost Souls, NOT Last Broadcast! And 'There Goes The Fear' is from Last Broadcast, NOT Lost Souls!!! Argghhh!!!:sad:

Last edited:
What the hell is going on here?

What the hell is the bang and the clatter?

I thought this thread died and all of a sudden there are 41 replies...

Who knew???

Thanks for your opinions - I will check out these bands...

Michael Griffiths said:

:yes: :up: Excellent summary.

MonaVox said:
Shame on you. Strokes, man.

The Vines are kinda scary.

But Strokes.......... Nick Valensi + Mona = :heart:

Oh yeah...Nick's a super-babe. But he needs to eat some food. :sexywink:

Oh, and the Vines kick ass.

Back
Top Bottom