The Cobblers Two 156 Roma St, Brisbane QLD 4000, Australia - Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I mean even in a mainstream sense. The Church and The Go-Betweens, anybody?

And although it hasn't aged all too well, we did pretty well on the nineties alt-rock front.

I remember seeing The Church perform on a HoF thing a month or so ago.

I remember seeing The Church perform on a HoF thing a month or so ago.

And Steve Kilbey gave an unscripted 15 minute speech that was just amazing and hilarious. He was equally full of gags and random anecdotes when we saw The Church live last week; quite possibly the only musician who I'm happy to let ramble on.

Everybody needs to hear The Church's eighties stuff. I mean, if you live in Australia and don't know songs like The Unguarded Moment, Almost With You, Already Yesterday, Under The Milky Way, and Reptile, you don't actually live in Australia.

Also, how did I fail to mention MIDNIGHT OIL!

When it comes to politicised rock music, Bono wishes he was Peter Garrett.

And Steve Kilbey gave an unscripted 15 minute speech that was just amazing and hilarious. He was equally full of gags and random anecdotes when we saw The Church live last week; quite possibly the only musician who I'm happy to let ramble on.
Collin Hay (of Men At Work fame) is apparently hilarious live as well. I really want to catch him next time he comes around again (if he does :()

Not to argue with you because I know that behind the scenes Garrett's apparently very political active and all, but I feel like his music is too on the nose. Doesn't make me like it any less, but a bit of shading is nice.

Not to argue with you because I know that behind the scenes Garrett's apparently very political active and all, but I feel like his music is too on the nose. Doesn't make me like it any less, but a bit of shading is nice.

See, that's what I've always liked about Midnight Oil's music - that when they make a point, they make a point rather than beating around the bush. Not to resurrect every awful "Bono's activism" debate on Interference, but I've always got the feeling that Garrett lives and breathes his causes so much more than Bono ever has.

Plus the Oils in general are so much more political than U2 will ever be. I more think of U2 as a life-affirming sort of band, while the Oils as a social justice sort of band. They serve different purposes.

The Dead Heart for national anthem!

When it comes to dancing like a maniac, Garrett wins at EVERYTHING.

It's just too awesome. :sad:

See, that's what I've always liked about Midnight Oil's music - that when they make a point, they make a point rather than beating around the bush. Not to resurrect every awful "Bono's activism" debate on Interference, but I've always got the feeling that Garrett lives and breathes his causes so much more than Bono ever has.

Plus the Oils in general are so much more political than U2 will ever be. I more think of U2 as a life-affirming sort of band, while the Oils as a social justice sort of band. They serve different purposes.

The Dead Heart for national anthem!

Fair enough, I just have an issue with most anyone who's too on the nose, to me at least it doesn't seem like a quality of fine lyric writing.

I don't know that I agree that Bono doesn't care about his causes (not that that's what you were saying), but when compared to Garrett, clearly Garrett is FAR more involved.

And I agree with that middle paragraph. No real opinion on the last :lol:

Alright, here's Ax's Not-Exhaustive List of Good Aussie Bands in alphabetical order:

Alchemist
Alpine
Astriaal
Beaches
Boom Crash Opera
The Church
Cloud Control
Crowded House
Dirty Three
Eleventh He Reaches London
The Go-Betweens
Hazards Of Swimming Naked
Hunters & Collectors
Laura
Love Of Diagrams
Midnight Oil
Ne Obliviscaris
The Night Terrors
Paul Kelly
Sleepmakeswaves
Sugar Army
This Is Your Captain Speaking
The Triffids
You Am I
Zond

You're forgetting Something for Kate.

By on the nose do you mean obvious? Cos that's what I like about the Oils too. Garrett was very political, so there wasn't much point in wrapping up the lyrics in nuances and extended metaphors.

You're forgetting Something for Kate.

By on the nose do you mean obvious? Cos that's what I like about the Oils too. Garrett was very political, so there wasn't much point in wrapping up the lyrics in nuances and extended metaphors.

What I mean more is like the lyrics to songs like "Beds are Burning" can be painfully exactly. Like, they don't always fit into the beat of the song even in favor of being a complete sentence on how he feels aabout the subject.

JB had no Alpine. I did pick up Tim Finn CD as well as Regina Spektors new live CD/DVD....oh and Springsteen's The Promise! (which I have no idea about)

Cool stuff, Daniel. Want me to grab you a copy of Alpine's EP when I see them on NYE? Was going to pick up a copy for my mother anyway (I traditionally give her a Christmas present of whatever music I've been digging in the past year).

Sorry guys, I don't mean to be deriding Midnight Oil, I really do like them.

Haha, no, I get you. It's just I like that aspect of the Oils. :wink:

Cool stuff, Daniel. Want me to grab you a copy of Alpine's EP when I see them on NYE? Was going to pick up a copy for my mother anyway (I traditionally give her a Christmas present of whatever music I've been digging in the past year).

Yeah that would be great :up: I had a listen to a snippet of them on myspace and its sounds pretty good.

Man, that model thread in LS has just put me into a bit of a funk. Wish I had pursued my model railway stuff more in the past ... lord knows I'd love even just a little New Zealand Railways layout. But fuck me it's expensive, and I can be so crap even at just the kitbuilding ...

Ah hellz, time for me to head out anyway. Have a good one folks! :wave:

Man, that model thread in LS has just put me into a bit of a funk. Wish I had pursued my model railway stuff more in the past ... lord knows I'd love even just a little New Zealand Railways layout. But fuck me it's expensive, and I can be so crap even at just the kitbuilding ...

Same, mostly because I never got into card collecting the way I wanted to :(.

I just suck at the pretentious theorising of literature. I can do the "this field is inadequately explored" side of things, justifying why my work's necessary, but some highfallutin explanation of why other historians haven't looked at it? Bleh. Stuart's made it a bit easier for me with some pointers though.

And there we go, post office done. Now I need to wrap presents and have lunch. I should stop pretending I'm going to have a productive week. It's half over already, christ.

I didn't even get to that point... I just sucked at reading about molluscs. I dunno if science lit reviews are different to humanities ones, but I don't remember being told to give highfallutin explanations of WHY a field hadn't been explored. Usually it would have come down to "No one knew these fossils were here before" or something.

I need to wrap some things...

I mean even in a mainstream sense. The Church and The Go-Betweens, anybody?

And although it hasn't aged all too well, we did pretty well on the nineties alt-rock front.

The Oils... INXS...

Don't dismiss the entire musical output of this country until you've listened to all of it, Vlad. :tongue:

Off to get some lunch and probably be mobbed my Christmas shoppers :wave:

Eek, good luck! I'm going to have to get to a Koko Black shop before Friday night without getting crushed... which means Chadstone. :crack:

Except when he entered mainstream federal politics and (presumably) got gagged by the Labor Party... I can't wait to read his autobiography. Would love to know what's going on in his head.

I heard that Alexis On Fire cover of The Dead Heart today. :up:

Back
Top Bottom