The Cobblers Two 156 Roma St, Brisbane QLD 4000, Australia - Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And Steve Kilbey gave an unscripted 15 minute speech that was just amazing and hilarious. He was equally full of gags and random anecdotes when we saw The Church live last week; quite possibly the only musician who I'm happy to let ramble on.

Everybody needs to hear The Church's eighties stuff. I mean, if you live in Australia and don't know songs like The Unguarded Moment, Almost With You, Already Yesterday, Under The Milky Way, and Reptile, you don't actually live in Australia.

The really amazing thing about that speech is that's very much just regular Steve -- at least some of the time (he can also be cranky and sullen and all too -- although he's always been very nice to me). I drove him between a couple of tour stops earlier this year and at a rest stop in Ohio he was telling me tour stories he said he couldn't put on his blog. I'll tell you...what he did at that rest stop -- just for me -- was very similar in style to his HoF speech. It was delightful! He certainly is a funny fucker. And he's one of the brightest people I've ever met...he can discuss (intelligently) a whole host of subjects.

It's great to see them suddenly getting attention again. I think for several years they've been essentially out of fashion, and their HoF performance (both Steve's speech and the band's performance) reminded many people how good they are. I'm totally thrilled for them. I'm especially happy because they are touring here in February (ok...I'm not all THAT thrilled about them touring here in fucking February as I'm not looking forward to the possibility of having to drive through a blizzard to see them. I already did that once...) playing three albums (Untitled 23; Priest = Aura; and Starfish) in their entirety.

And now I'll slink back out of the thread and leave you at it. :) My computer is giving me fits and won't let me into Interference (just popped in while I was checking email and such at Kinko's), so I won't be spruiking The Church here for a little while. :shifty:

Hope you all have a great holiday. :)

Ah, I see chronological order isn't essential... :hmm:

Chronological order has its perks for showing a band's progression, but it can also create clunky lists with poor segues.

That said, you can basically just whack on Original Of Symmetry all the way from Newborn to Micro Cuts and get both chronology and cohesion in one fell swoop. They can be a bitch to tracklist outside of that context because it's so cohesive - if you need the single version of Plug In Baby (i.e. with a clean start rather than the segue out of Hyper Music), I can furnish you with it.

Thanks for that, Ax... I do feel sort of obliged to represent the more recent albums too, though. :wink:

I figured. :tongue:

I was being mildly tongue-in-cheek. I'd use Starlight, Uprising, and Resistance. Maybe a live Invincible. I think there are one or two other rockin' tracks on Black Holes that I'd suggest, if I could think of their titles ... ironically, the BHAR era's best song is Crying Shame, a b-side. That'd be a good pick.

I was wondering if the Church talk would lure you in, indra!

The really amazing thing about that speech is that's very much just regular Steve -- at least some of the time (he can also be cranky and sullen and all too -- although he's always been very nice to me). I drove him between a couple of tour stops earlier this year and at a rest stop in Ohio he was telling me tour stories he said he couldn't put on his blog. I'll tell you...what he did at that rest stop -- just for me -- was very similar in style to his HoF speech. It was delightful! He certainly is a funny fucker. And he's one of the brightest people I've ever met...he can discuss (intelligently) a whole host of subjects.

Haha, at the Thornbury Theatre show on 17/12, he nearly told a couple of stories that he then realised he probably shouldn't say publicly. One he'd already begun, and he whispered the punchline to Marty ... we were so close that we almost heard, but just couldn't quite make it out.

Though I must admit I find his blog unreadable! I'll listen to him any day, but not read.

I'm especially happy because they are touring here in February (ok...I'm not all THAT thrilled about them touring here in fucking February as I'm not looking forward to the possibility of having to drive through a blizzard to see them. I already did that once...) playing three albums (Untitled 23; Priest = Aura; and Starfish) in their entirety.

I'd just heard about this! I hope they bring that in some form to Australia ... preferably some form that doesn't involve Untitled 23. I'd love hear P=A and Starfish in full. Even more i'd love Seance in full, but I'm totally aware that's never going to happen!

Have a good Christmas!

I was wondering if the Church talk would lure you in, indra!

Haha, at the Thornbury Theatre show on 17/12, he nearly told a couple of stories that he then realised he probably shouldn't say publicly. One he'd already begun, and he whispered the punchline to Marty ... we were so close that we almost heard, but just couldn't quite make it out.

Though I must admit I find his blog unreadable! I'll listen to him any day, but not read.

I'd just heard about this! I hope they bring that in some form to Australia ... preferably some form that doesn't involve Untitled 23. I'd love hear P=A and Starfish in full. Even more i'd love Seance in full, but I'm totally aware that's never going to happen!

Have a good Christmas!

Yeah, it did...actually found this thread on Google, but my browser crashed every time I tried to get here. Blah.

Sounds as if he was in overdrive at some of these shows, and when he gets like that he'll say almost anything! I have to admit reading him is a different experience...his writing is certainly an acquired taste. I do adore the way he plays with words though, and I'm used to it too since he even writes emails in the same style as his blog.

You don't like Untitled 23? :sad: It's the album I got a thanks in the credits. :) If they do the show there, just show up a bit late -- Untitled 23 is supposed to be the first one they play.

Yeah, it did...actually found this thread on Google, but my browser crashed every time I tried to get here. Blah.

Sounds as if he was in overdrive at some of these shows, and when he gets like that he'll say almost anything! I have to admit reading him is a different experience...his writing is certainly an acquired taste. I do adore the way he plays with words though, and I'm used to it too since he even writes emails in the same style as his blog.

You don't like Untitled 23? :sad: It's the album I got a thanks in the credits. :) If they do the show there, just show up a bit late -- Untitled 23 is supposed to be the first one they play.

The whole band seemed to be in quite a good mood, but Steve especially. It kind of felt like he hadn't switched off after that HOF speech. And goddamn did they play well. I loved that they even have a lute!

I guess I just find his writing style hard to follow. He seems to speak so clearly, yet his writing strikes me as awkward and ideas are lost within a stylistic licence that doesn't appeal to my own favoured aesthetics. I can see what you mean about it being an acquired taste!

I don't outright dislike Untitled 23 (except On Angel Street, which blows), I just find it a bit dull. I'm kind of surprised by the generally positive reviews it has received; that said, Pangaea was good live last week and I enjoyed most other songs I heard live from it in December 2009. Would much rather hear some of their more obscure eighties stuff though.

Get on his case about playing more from Seance live. :wink:

Gah! I think I'm finally finished with my list and I find the perfect song to go along with my theme/storyline. :gah: So now I have to find a way to add it in and make sure it all still works. DAMN YOU, DESERT ISLAND! Damn you to HELL!

*goes back to twiddling*

And Steve Kilbey gave an unscripted 15 minute speech that was just amazing and hilarious. He was equally full of gags and random anecdotes when we saw The Church live last week; quite possibly the only musician who I'm happy to let ramble on.

Everybody needs to hear The Church's eighties stuff. I mean, if you live in Australia and don't know songs like The Unguarded Moment, Almost With You, Already Yesterday, Under The Milky Way, and Reptile, you don't actually live in Australia.

Should this be part of my move-to-australia preparation course?

Ha. You're done, you bastard. *kicks DI* Album art, track order, and explanatory paragraph finished.

Yay today for being Christmas Eve. A typical Australian Christmas Eve I might add, it got to 34C today but was pretty pleasant inside.

Should this be part of my move-to-australia preparation course?

Yes. Yes it should.

As should many of the bands on my list of good Aussie musics.

Yay today for being Christmas Eve. A typical Australian Christmas Eve I might add, it got to 34C today but was pretty pleasant inside.

It's been rather nice here today, around 23C and pleasantly sunny.

Tomorrow looks set to be about 26C. Touch warmer than I'd like (though I believe it consistutes ideal weather by the standards of Charlotte and my mother), but at least it won't be a swelterfest.

Write me a primer, Ax. Also, I'm sending you A Thing. :shifty:

My current temperature's a whole 1C. It's also a quarter past 1 AM...

/music nerd

The RedBook Audio CD protocol states that the maximum amount of time allowed on a CD is 74 minutes. As the nineties progressed manufacturers started to realise that they could overburn to the 79:55 mark without affecting the purity of the digital signal - but after that point, overburning would lead to inconsistency with some CD players.

(Don't ask how I know that.)

Chronological order has its perks for showing a band's progression, but it can also create clunky lists with poor segues.

That said, you can basically just whack on Original Of Symmetry all the way from Newborn to Micro Cuts and get both chronology and cohesion in one fell swoop. They can be a bitch to tracklist outside of that context because it's so cohesive - if you need the single version of Plug In Baby (i.e. with a clean start rather than the segue out of Hyper Music), I can furnish you with it.

I figured. :tongue:

I was being mildly tongue-in-cheek. I'd use Starlight, Uprising, and Resistance. Maybe a live Invincible. I think there are one or two other rockin' tracks on Black Holes that I'd suggest, if I could think of their titles ... ironically, the BHAR era's best song is Crying Shame, a b-side. That'd be a good pick.

I'm never sure when it's safe to assume you're not entirely serious... :wink:

Am thinking of Knights too, if only cos of it winning the Hottest 100... I guess I should try to balance out songs I like against giving her an idea of the range of stuff Muse has produced. I don't know what sort of songs will appeal more to her - her taste in music overlaps a bit with mine, but she's much more into punk and the Smiths and the Clash and that sort of thing. Not sure how Muse will go down at all... *L*

Reggo, I sympathise with DI stress. Been there, done that... once was enough. ;) :hug:

/music nerd

The RedBook Audio CD protocol states that the maximum amount of time allowed on a CD is 74 minutes. As the nineties progressed manufacturers started to realise that they could overburn to the 79:55 mark without affecting the purity of the digital signal - but after that point, overburning would lead to inconsistency with some CD players.

(Don't ask how I know that.)

Aah. I read somewhere that most bottles of drink (or anything) will generally have more than the stated amount in it, just so they can't be sued for having less, or something. Wonder if it's the same sort of idea... :hmm:

Oh man, more of my Christmas presents were Blu Rays than I remembered :uhoh:. Hopefully I can get the drive fixed sooner rather than later so that I can watch them :lol:.

Merry Christmas all!

Hope you're all having good times. We've had delicious foods for breakfast and nibbles, and looks like the turkey will be ready soon. :drool:

Back
Top Bottom