The 2010-2011 NBA Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
again, they'd have to be the biggest dopes on the face of the planet to have another league go through labor hell first and still do it... and again, the nbapa is a very weak union.

the owners will get most of what they want.

Thanks for posting the articles. I sure hope for my own living that this is the way it falls into place.

Got back from China on Sunday and heard that the NBA will not be going there next year (for fear of a potential lockout). The whole lockout possibility became pretty real for me at that point.

Thanks for posting the articles. I sure hope for my own living that this is the way it falls into place.

Got back from China on Sunday and heard that the NBA will not be going there next year (for fear of a potential lockout). The whole lockout possibility became pretty real for me at that point.

Ahem. I posted them. :)

Speaking of which:

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: NBA Seeks Rollback Of Existing Player Salaries

An NBA spokesman confirmed to RealGM that the league is in fact seeking to roll back existing player salaries, rather than simply changing the rules dictating the terms of future contracts.

In attempting to reduce player costs by approximately one-third, the league is not making a distinction between signed contracts currently in force and those that would be signed after the new collective bargaining agreement takes effect.

Ahem. I posted them. :)

cookie.gif
:wink:

I read SI's NBA preview today and I'm starting to get excited for the beginning of the season. I stopped liking the NBA for the longest time but, the last 2-3 years have found me getting back into it.....and having a team cast as the bad guys makes things even more interesting, not to mention the fact that I find Durant's progress fascinating....and I also enjoy Kobe the player, don't really care anymore about what he's like off the court.

Here's hoping that we have a fun, exciting and competitive season.

Go 76ers.

:(

I read SI's NBA preview today and I'm starting to get excited for the beginning of the season. I stopped liking the NBA for the longest time but, the last 2-3 years have found me getting back into it.....and having a team cast as the bad guys makes things even more interesting, not to mention the fact that I find Durant's progress fascinating....and I also enjoy Kobe the player, don't really care anymore about what he's like off the court.

Here's hoping that we have a fun, exciting and competitive season.

Go 76ers.

:(

I'm beyond excited for a Magic/Heat rivalry, though the Celtics are the best team in the East until proven otherwise. If this season doesn't light the fire under Dwight's ass, then I don't know what will.

I want to see if those lessons with Hakeem pay off for Dwight. Watched some of the Youtube clips of it, interesting stuff, at least to me.

And, yes, agreed that the Celtics are tops in the East until someone proves otherwise.

I want to see if those lessons with Hakeem pay off for Dwight. Watched some of the Youtube clips of it, interesting stuff, at least to me.

And, yes, agreed that the Celtics are tops in the East until someone proves otherwise.

perhaps assistant coach ewing threw up his hands and went "alright, well if you're not gonna listen to me, at least listen to this guy who kicked my ass"

What I want to know is who taught Hakeem? He was so raw coming out of Houston.....and a decade later he's about as polished down low as anyone I've ever seen......does anyone know who worked with him?

What I want to know is who taught Hakeem? He was so raw coming out of Houston.....and a decade later he's about as polished down low as anyone I've ever seen......does anyone know who worked with him?

well first i wanna thank you for bringing that video to my attention... being a student of hakeem's post moves who preaches to post players i coach about how great he was and teaching what he did, that video was fantastic.

as for the question... i'm sure he spent some time with pete newell at some point. other than that, i think he made most of what he does up, based on the simple principle of move & counter move.

it's so simple, but it's a lost art. it's what i try to teach every post player i work with... having post moves are fine, but eventually somebody is going to figure out what you're doing. the key is not to have a million moves. the key is to have a few base moves, with a bunch of counter moves off of those simple base moves.

hakeem made a living with this. frankly i think he took the legacy of kevin mchale and jack sikma and made it his own, at a level that nobody has ever done before, or since.

I was gonna guess Newel's big man camp but was blanking on his name.

De Nada re: the clip, it should be required viewing for anyone with an interest in the game.

And, while you clearly know more about the game than I ever will, I completely agree that the key is to perfect a base of moves then learn to expand outward a little from that core. Hakeem was amazing, at least to my eyes, at combining exquisite footwork with hard to not bite on ball fakes.....almost balletic.....

Who today has post moves you can admire even a little? Duncan, obviously. Who else? Who gets the ball down low and just goes to work......

I was gonna guess Newel's big man camp but was blanking on his name.

De Nada re: the clip, it should be required viewing for anyone with an interest in the game.

And, while you clearly know more about the game than I ever will, I completely agree that the key is to perfect a base of moves then learn to expand outward a little from that core. Hakeem was amazing, at least to my eyes, at combining exquisite footwork with hard to not bite on ball fakes.....almost balletic.....

Who today has post moves you can admire even a little? Duncan, obviously. Who else? Who gets the ball down low and just goes to work......

only duncan. shaq when he was younger had very good footwork. he was always underrated as far as his actual skill went. garnett has some quality moves as well.

short of that? nobody. the days of the dominant post player are dead, and it's largely due to how we teach them when they're younger. if they're tall and coordinated we try to make them wing players, if they're uncoordinated nobody takes the time to help them develop their skills anymore, they just tell them to go by the rim, get some rebounds, and try to dunk the ball. these players never develop the necessary skills. dwight howard is a perfect example.

i always try to teach the post players i get to work with about how things used to be. finally get to see one play big time this year, at tennessee... even though a lot of my efforts were for naught because his dad had him convinced that he would be the next magic johnson and not a post player, but eh... whatever.

got another kid i've spent a ton of time with who's a sophomore at blair academy now. if he can grow another 2 inches or so he'll be a stud d1 player, but at 6'7" he's likely to get stuck in that "he should be a wing at that height" bullshit and end up as a very good mid-major player instead. like that kid from st. mary's.

:sigh: i miss dominant post players.

Big Z, when healthy, would try and post up and do some shit but it was....not smooth....but at least his back was to the basket.

the key to that statement is "when healthy" i don't think he's been healthy this decade.

what's really sad is that a guy like rik smits was maybe the 6th or 7th best center of his day, and he'd be the best back to the basket player in the league if he played today.

what's really sad is that a guy like rik smits was maybe the 6th or 7th best center of his day, and he'd be the best back to the basket player in the league if he played today.

Did I ever tell you I saw Rik Smits at Metallica at the old Foxboro Stadium, in 2000.
Saw him in the concourse leaving the men's room, later noticed him backstage rocking out while Metallica was playing. a 7'4" guy rocking out to Metallica stands out.

back on topic...

i'm baffled by something i've seen in a couple of different places now.. nba "experts" picking the nets to finish with a better record than the knicks.

now, don't get me wrong... i'm not gonna sit here and tell you that the knicks are going to challenge the eastern conference elite... we'll talk about that if/when they can snag carmello without giving up the house... but they did add one of the best power forwards in all of basketball, added a very good point guard to boot, and some nice role players around them... plus the maturation of some of their younger players... and the nets won 12 games last year and added... jordan farmar and joe smith? and the nets will be better than the knicks? really, tim legler? really, sports illustrated?

come on, man.

realisticly speaking... this knicks team will finish second in their division and battle the hawks for the 5 seed, probably losing out that battle and finishing as the 6. amar'e will compete for first team all nba honors and finish with stats somewhere between 25 and 30 ppg and 10 to 12 rpg.

if they can swing a deal for 'melo without giving up everyone then they can push their way past the hawks and get into the conversation with the celtics, heat, bulls and magic, but probably will still be just outside that group unless one of their young players that they don't send to denver can make a huge jump, be it gallo or toney douglas. landry fields could be the sleeper of this year's draft. he may end up starting.

Ohhhhhh, Scott Jurgenson. That training video was fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom