The 2007-08 NHL Hockey thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man has Lidstrom been around forever. He's like the Swedish Larry Robinson, or Ray Bourque.

Anyone see the hit in the Rangers game last night, on Matt Cullen? It drew a 5 minute major but I agree with Barry Mullet that it was a clean hit...there's no rule saying you can't hit a guy if his head's down; if there was Jeremy Roenick would probably have about 8 less concussions in his career.

CTU2fan said:
Yeah I've been watching games like crazy. Including the Celtics broadcast in Chinese :)

Watching the CAL-VAN game right now, oddly enough on a European channel broadcasting a CBC feed. :hmm:

Incredible find, man. :up::up:

BonoManiac said:
^ Yeah yeah whatever. :wink:

Anyway, I would understand why you'd be in a good mood, after the Red Wings just locked up Nicolas Lidstrom until 2010.

if he doesnt break a hip...

and hey LarryMullen's_POPAngel, while we are all cracking jokes, is chelios still luging or did he decided to back stab the blackhawks organization again and went back to the red wings...

wanker:mad:

tpsreports2424 said:

and hey LarryMullen's_POPAngel, while we are all cracking jokes, is chelios still luging or did he decided to back stab the blackhawks organization again and went back to the red wings...

I didn't crack a single joke, mate. I believe all the funny stuff was coming from your end, no?

And um, bitter much? :wink:

CTU2fan said:
Man has Lidstrom been around forever. He's like the Swedish Larry Robinson, or Ray Bourque.

Amen to that.

If I had to pick a favorite player, it just might be him. I was jumping for joy when he was named captain after Stevie left, it was such a natural progression.

I've met him a couple of times, too. Really nice and humble guy.

tpsreports2424 said:

You guys wanna hear a funny Chris Chelios story?

I was at a game in Hartford one night, when Chelly was still in Montreal. Memorable game as the Whale came back from 4-0 down to beat the Habs that night...well anyway, there was a pretty well-known "dancer" in the Hartford area who went by the name of I think Busty Heart. Go figure why :) Well anyway she's at the game and sitting a section over from my seats. The 3rd period is about to start and here comes Busty down the stairs to her seat, and her "assets" are looking like a pair of blimps set adrift. So the Habs are coming back on the ice before the opening draw, and one of the players spots her and points her out to Chelios. Well Chelios just busted out laughing, I mean doubled over hysterical. Funniest thing I've ever seen.

I think that's why Montreal lost...she was our secret weapon :)

I'm looking forward to watching this game. I was at Ralph Wilson Stadium on Sunday for the Bills-Giants game and let me tell you the weather was miserable. That being said, I kept trying to picture how it would look like with a rink, and wished I would be able to witness it live.

Pens' Crosby excited about outdoor game

The Canadian Press

12/28/2007 4:10:20 PM
Sid gets to be the Kid again New Year's Day in Buffalo and he can't wait.

"I thought my outdoor days were done for sure," Sidney Crosby said Friday.

The 20-year-old superstar centre from the Pittsburgh Penguins was on an NHL media conference call in anticipation of Tuesday's Winter Classic game at Ralph Wilson Stadium against the Sabres, the NHL's second foray outdoors after the November 2003 Heritage Classic in Edmonton between the Oilers and Montreal Canadiens.

Back then, Crosby was still a junior with the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League's Rimouski Oceanic.

"I think we actually played that day so I didn't get to see much of it," Crosby said of the 2003 affair at Commonwealth Stadium. "But it looked freezing. I can remember (Jose) Theodore having the tuque on his goalie mask. There's something about playing outside. It kind of brings you back. There's something special about being outside and playing a game."

Crosby doesn't have to go back to his childhood days in Cole Harbour, N.S., to rekindle his last outdoor skate. He revealed Friday that he snuck out for more than a few outdoor skates during his junior days in Rimouski.

"I can remember during some off-days I'd have my trainer sneak my skates in my car and I used to go shoot outside and play outside," Crosby said with a chuckle. "We'd also have 3-on-3 games outdoors with guys on our team. We enjoyed that a lot. I can remember playing under the lights, that was the best time. They'd flood the ice around 8:30 p.m. and think everyone done's for the day and I'd sneak out around 9 or 9:30 ..

"I had a lot of fun doing that and I'm really looking forward to playing outside again."

He'll get his first look at the outdoor rink at Ralph Wilson Stadium during his team's practice there Monday afternoon on the eve of the big game Tuesday.

"The big thing I'm thinking about is probably the wind," said Crosby. "As far as the cold, we've all prepared for that in some way growing up when we were playing outside. But I think the wind could be a factor. You look at football, and coin tosses and things like that, if we're going into the wind for two periods it might be a bit different."

Because the game will be played in the early afternoon, the sun could also be a factor if it's a clear day. Crosby sounded surprised when a reporter asked him whether he'd thought about wearing eye black like football and baseball players do to fight off the sun's glare.

"That never even crossed my mind," said Crosby. "But that may be something that's an issue, too. That could be a possibility, but I'd look pretty funny though."

He's been thinking about what he's going to wear, too.

"I think they've talked to the football people about maybe something that's going to cover your neck and your head," said Crosby. "Definitely you're probably going to be changing your long underwear between periods, at least your top shirt. We'll have to see about gloves and see if guys are comfortable wearing winter gloves underneath your own gloves - they'd have to be pretty thin. I'm sure there's a few ideas bouncing around.

"We get the opportunity to practise the day before so I think that's where you will see some of the adjustments."

Playing in front of more than 70,000 fans will also be a first for Crosby. He says he isn't sure what to expect on that front.

"The weather might have something to do with how wild they are," he said. "If it's freezing they might not be quite as loud, it might be a little long for them out there. But it's something we're all looking forward to, to play in front of that many people. We're on the road, but we know there's a lot of people that will go to that game and pull for our team, too."

Either way, you won't hear Crosby whine about anything in Buffalo. With his parents on hand to watch, Crosby is treating the Winter Classic as a special moment in his already highlight-filled career.

"It could have been other teams doing this so I think we all feel lucky to have this chance," said Crosby.

It's gonna be awesome...as someone who grew up playing 90% of his hockey outdoors (on ice; street hockey is for goobers), I think this is great.

wcice480x285yx6.jpg

Remember when Theodore was consistently good? Ever since that Propecia incident, he's gone down the road of Samsonov and Delilah.

For those wondering about my out of the blue (crack) return, I thought I would get into game shape with the Spengler Cup of hockey forums.

:sexywink:

When I played at UConn we had an outdoor rink. One of those beauties with side walls and a roof, but open ends. Now granted it was UConn, not the Yudon, but the prevailing wind tended to blow through it like a wind tunnel and it was cold as a bitch. I remember one night when my water bottle froze solid on top of my net. We used to put an extra sock inside our helmet to cover the ears. Cold as hell.

They've since enclosed it. Buncha pussies :)

BonoManiac said:

I think you meant to say the Yukon, am i rite? :wink:

Yeah Yukon, that's what I said :wink: I mean meant.

I was thinking instead of real boards they should make snowbank walls for the rink, like we used to after shovelling the pond. It would look like that Mystery, Alaska movie :)

I kind of liked them when they had Wendel Clark and Gilmour and Felix Potvin.

For those that have the NHL Network, there's a live Winter Classic preview show on until 4 p.m. They're interviewing Jim Kelly (a native of Pittsburgh) right now.

ETA: The Sabres are practising now, and Ryan Miller is wearing a Buffalo tuque over his mask. How original. :happy:

Last edited:
Well, not sure what anyone else thought, but I thought today's game was awesome. Not too many sports are able to do something so different without altering rules and such. 70,000 crazed fans in a strong snowfall, game goes overtime, etc......I enjoyed it.

Wow, sidney is truley just a great player.

I knew he was amazing but the dribbling with the puck in the air and the game winning goal just really surprised me..

No spoken words said:
Well, not sure what anyone else thought, but I thought today's game was awesome. Not too many sports are able to do something so different without altering rules and such. 70,000 crazed fans in a strong snowfall, game goes overtime, etc......I enjoyed it.

Yeah, fantastic game. Shame you guys got stuck with the NBC coverage instead of the CBC though.

Buffalo really pulled out all the stops, what a great hockey fanbase. They really added to the atmosphere. Great young talent with the Pens, Crosby is just a great kid.

Brilliant job all round, very exciting to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom