The 2007-08 NHL Hockey thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hockey is silly. No one even watches it anymore. It's dumb and boring and not fun and it just makes people angry - like for example - suppose your team is playing pretty much the worst team in the NHL and they lose - AND get shutout - that's just stupid, right? Right. Therefore hockey is dumb, I'm done with it.

Islanders letting you down again Beav?

The farking Leafs tonight looked totally unmotivated.. and the interview afterwards with the coach.. where he seemed like he was either totally exhausted and about to either bang his head against the wall or collapse... yeesh...

So I have come to a decision.

I've spent the first quarter of the season trying to figure out a team to support. The only condition has been that it has to be a Canadian team, and it can't be Ottawa or Montreal.

As I've said before here, I liked the Leafs when I was little, when they had Doug Gilmour and Felix Potvin and Wendell Clark, but stopped paying close attention to hockey in the few years before the lockout. Since then I've tried at the start of every season to get back into them, but I just can't. Permanent mediocrity and an ownership group that seems like they don't give a rat's ass about putting a winning team on the ice has turned me off. I just can't like the Leafs anymore. Last year I spent the year watching for the enjoyment of the sport, instead of following any one team. I'd watch whatever game was on and pick one of the teams to root for, ad infinitum. But a sport is a lot less interesting to watch without a team to follow and throw all your support behind.

So, after spending last year deliberating a bit, and the first quarter of this season seriously looking, I have decided on a team. I'm going to support said team for the rest of the year and see how I feel about them. If we get along great, it could be the start of a beautiful relationship. If not, I'll get over it and move on.

I've picked this team because the management seems genuinely interested in putting a good team together, they have the potential to be great, and they're doing well right now. They have a good young corps and a few veterans that are continual fan favourites. They grind when they need to and play finesse hockey when they can as well. Good goaltending helps too.

The team?

The Vancouver Canucks.

:up::up:

BonoManiac said:
^ Just curious, but how much support is there for the Pittsburgh Penguins in Halifax given that Sidney Crosby is from Cole Harbour?

Not all that much for the Penguins themselves, but this city would give a collective blowjob to Sidney Crosby if it could.

He was a good kid (he's also a distant cousin by marriage, we played street hockey when we were little), but he's turned a douchebag as he grew up from all the attention.

For example, my friends and I went to East Side Mario's downtown, and as we were on our way in we saw Sidney coming out (by himself). We got in and asked the server if it actually was him, and she said yes, she served him and his driver. Apparently for a $60 meal, he left a $3 tip. :huh:

Most of the people who think he can do no wrong are the teenaged girls who think they're going to marry him, or the old men who do nothing but watch hockey (like my grandfather).

Everybody else mostly wishes he does well, but couldn't really care less. Myself included, I don't wish him ill, but if he breaks all of Gretzky's records and wins a dozen Stanley Cups or flips out and self-destructs in a year or two, it won't matter a lick to me.

DaveC said:
So, after spending last year deliberating a bit, and the first quarter of this season seriously looking, I have decided on a team. I'm going to support said team for the rest of the year and see how I feel about them. If we get along great, it could be the start of a beautiful relationship. If not, I'll get over it and move on.

I've picked this team because the management seems genuinely interested in putting a good team together, they have the potential to be great, and they're doing well right now. They have a good young corps and a few veterans that are continual fan favourites. They grind when they need to and play finesse hockey when they can as well. Good goaltending helps too.

The team?

The Vancouver Canucks.

:up::up:

Excellent decision! :hi5: :wink:

Roberto Luongo is the reason we do well. He's a solid, confident goaltender, and he's done great things for the team.

They played fantastically last night against Pittsburgh. Even though they lost in the shootout, it was a thrilling game. Worth watching every second.

a009-osgood3-0805y_08-09-2005_KP7Q0GR.jpg

:rockon:

ThoraSEB said:

Roberto Luongo is the reason we do well. He's a solid, confident goaltender, and he's done great things for the team.

We'd like him back, please. And Chara. And we'd like to redo our DiPietro draft and take Heatley instead. Also, give us back Peca, Poti, Kozlov and Parrish. And a few others. Thanks!

UberBeaver said:

We'd like him back, please. And Chara. And we'd like to redo our DiPietro draft and take Heatley instead. Also, give us back Peca, Poti, Kozlov and Parrish. And a few others. Thanks!

How in God's name was Mike Milbury able to keep his job for so long? He traded away a virtual all-star team, and drafted rather poorly.

BonoManiac said:

How in God's name was Mike Milbury able to keep his job for so long? He traded away a virtual all-star team, and drafted rather poorly.

:shrug: He had purty lips? I dunno. The man was a failure of epic proportions. I think he's managing a Wendy's in Tulsa now. I hear they're fifth in the state. Just signed a french fry maker for 5 years, $8mil. THings are looking up for him!

elevated_u2_fan said:
April, did you see that save/trip Hassek made on Gaborik in the Wild game?

awesome save :lol:

Nope, didn't see it.

I tend to ignore when it comes to Hasek.

Beav, I think that Wendy's needs an assistant manager - Matt Millen will be applying for the job any day now. (She and the entire city of Detroit wishes.)

You guys are in first place! Why get rid of the GM? Or is he the old GM? If so, I'm sure Milbury will give him 7 years @ 14 million. He probably has "potential" like Yashin did. Shit, they'll probably make him the Captain!

UberBeaver said:
You guys are in first place! Why get rid of the GM? Or is he the old GM? If so, I'm sure Milbury will give him 7 years @ 14 million. He probably has "potential" like Yashin did. Shit, they'll probably make him the Captain!

Oops, sorry, was cross referencing professional sports teams GMs. Millen is the Lions GM. :reject:

Nice showing by the Flyers tonight...hat trick for Lupul (6 points I think), hat trick for Umberger. A little chippiness by the Pens late, but that's expected given the score. First double hat trick for the Flyers since '85...2 of my old favorites, Dave Poulin & Tim Kerr.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom