The 2007-08 NHL Hockey thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah...just put some clubs back in Canada (as Dave said). Start with Quebec...Quebec City should be the Green Bay of the NHL, that's a pretty rabid fan base up there that deserves the NHL. The Habs/Nordiques rivalry was no joke.

Canadiens1160 said:
Time for contraction :wink:

It might help...

The article talks about player's salary and revenue sharing and how the Canadian teams are stronger based on the "unpredictable" Canadian loonie. That tells me that they could be up now, but as the U.S. dollar rebounds (election year), it may be a different story.

:shrug:

You still need to factor in corporate dollars, and where they come from, and the benefit they need to see from reaching specific targeted audiences.

Businesses (sports) are a lot more complicated than the simple "the fan base would be fanatical."

zoney! said:
And, I feel kinda bad for forgetting that I did see an NHL game last year....one that two posters in this thread blew off because there was no free beer! :down:

;)

They were GREAT seats at a great arena, provided by a great interferencer! :D

Yeah, no free beer... :shifty:

Where exactly were the seats, anyways?

Can any one from montreal recomend the best and cheapest way to get tickets to a sold out game. I want to go to a game when I'm there in February. It seems like the brokers are charging much more for the penguins game than the others.

thetitans2k said:
Can any one from montreal recomend the best and cheapest way to get tickets to a sold out game. I want to go to a game when I'm there in February. It seems like the brokers are charging much more for the penguins game than the others.
I'd try Craigslist
http://montreal.craigslist.ca/

Sens played well Saturday.. the Leafs did what they usually do. Put on a good show, make me feel like I like them again, and then lose.

The Leafs raising hopes only to have them dashed again : A Proud part of our Canadian heritage!

I have to say, wow the Canadiens are looking sharp. And Huet... great goalie! I can't believe I just complimented the Canadiens. :yikes:

Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel
Before last night we had won 9 in a row, with more than half of those games being on the west coast.

So, you're welcome.

Yeah, I KNEW the Wings record that's the reason for the hmm.

If it would have been ANY other team, I could say 'OK, they had an off-night'.

But, the Hawks ?? I couldn't believe they had to lose to the Hawks !! Sad, very sad.

MsMofoGone said:

Yeah, I KNEW the Wings record that's the reason for the hmm.

If it would have been ANY other team, I could say 'OK, they had an off-night'.

But, the Hawks ?? I couldn't believe they had to lose to the Hawks !! Sad, very sad.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the Blackhawks are one of the best up-and-coming young teams in the NHL, led by the dynamic rookie duo of Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane. It shouldn't be a surprise that they beat the Wings, or anyone else for that matter.

The Hawks are 7 points behind the Wings, with three less wins. The post-lockout NHL has brought on a level of parity that hasn't been seen in years. The gap between cellar-dweller and top-tier teams is shrinking by the day. For example, last week the worst team in the East, at least point-wise, the Washington Capitals, defeated the best team in the league, the Ottawa Senators.

Originally posted by BonoManiac

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the Blackhawks are one of the best up-and-coming young teams in the NHL, led by the dynamic rookie duo of Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane. It shouldn't be a surprise that they beat the Wings, or anyone else for that matter.

The Hawks are 7 points behind the Wings, with three less wins. The post-lockout NHL has brought on a level of parity that hasn't been seen in years. The gap between cellar-dweller and top-tier teams is shrinking by the day. For example, last week the worst team in the East, at least point-wise, the Washington Capitals, defeated the best team in the league, the Ottawa Senators.

The Hawks' record doesn't mean 'Skippy Peanut Butter' to some of us Chicagoans. There have been 'years' of denial and resentment towards the Hawks and the organization, in general. The fact that Bill Wirtz died, now it seems the organization is changing ... finally for the better, or at least they're trying to change things ... but, rather slowly. Still, mind you ... it will take alot more time before alot of us 'give in' to rooting for the Hawks, or go to see their games (or now watch them on SportsNet) or even to say we have an interest in that team ... Period.

MsMofoGone said:

The Hawks' record doesn't mean 'Skippy Peanut Butter' to some of us Chicagoans. There have been 'years' of denial towards the Hawks and the organization, in general. The fact that Bill Wirtz died, now it seems the organization is changing ... finally for the better, or at least they're trying to change things ... but, rather slowly. Still, mind you ... it will take alot more time before alot of us 'give in' to rooting for the Hawks, or go to see their games (or now watch them on SportsNet) or even to say we have an interest in that team ... Period.

you'll never be a Leafs fan with that attitude :wink:

MsMofoGone said:
The Hawks' record doesn't mean 'Skippy Peanut Butter' to some of us Chicagoans. There have been 'years' of denial and resentment towards the Hawks and the organization, in general. The fact that Bill Wirtz died, now it seems the organization is changing ... finally for the better, or at least they're trying to change things ... but, rather slowly. Still, mind you ... it will take alot more time before alot of us 'give in' to rooting for the Hawks, or go to see their games (or now watch them on SportsNet) or even to say we have an interest in that team ... Period.

Ah, alright. So that's what you meant. I thought you meant it in a "wow, the Hawks suck, they couldn't possibly have beaten the Wings" sort of way.

:wink:

I second Elfa's statement. The only reason the Leafs are the way they are is because the fans just keep on comin' back, so there's no incentive for upper management to actually make the moves necessary to field a winning team. The Montreal Canadiens, actually, are in the same boat. The arena is constantly sold out and television ratings are through the roof.

The only difference is that Montreal ACTUALLY has a future, with a bevy of good, young players both with the big club and in Hamilton.:wink:

What are people's predictions for tonight's Habs vs Leafs game?

If the Habs win, it will be their first victory against the Leafs this season (third game).

The Leafs have a piss-poor record at home so my CDN$ is on the Habs :up:

Originally posted by elevated_u2_fan

you'll never be a Leafs fan with that attitude :wink:

Originally posted by BonoManiac
Ah, alright. So that's what you meant. I thought you meant it in a "wow, the Hawks suck, they couldn't possibly have beaten the Wings" sort of way.

But honestly, the Hawks DO suck ... :uhoh: it must be MY 'denial and resentment' showing through !! :lol:

ladywithspinninghead said:
What are people's predictions for tonight's Habs vs Leafs game?

If the Habs win, it will be their first victory against the Leafs this season (third game).

The Leafs have a piss-poor record at home so my CDN$ is on the Habs :up:

As with every single Leafs game so far there is no way to perdict the outcome. It depends on which team decides to show up tonight..

MsMofoGone said:
But honestly, the Hawks DO suck ... :uhoh: it must be MY 'denial and resentment' showing through !! :lol:

Ummk, that must be it. :wink: The 'Hawks (finally) are building a exciting young nucleus, with Kane, Toews and Marty Havlat (when he's healthy, which is rare!).

In any event, there's so much parity in the NHL these days that, and I know it's a cliché, any team can win on any given night.

Even the Leafs. :wink:

MsMofoGone said:

But you should be happy, your boy Ondrej is on fire for the Thrashers :)

Originally posted by CTU2fan
But you should be happy, your boy Ondrej is on fire for the Thrashers :)

Yes siree bob !! :wink:

Although, Robert Gherson is the new back-up for Freddy Brathwaite (Turple was sent back to Gwinnett) Gherson played last Sunday against Rochester and it went down to a shootout. He ended up getting a win for the Wolves because of that shootout.

See, we don't need Pavelec (Mr. 'Ondrej') ... so many here in Chicago thought the Wolves would become 'toast' withOUT him in net.
They are currently 10-1 with their AHL record. :up:

Yes, now I'm waiting for you all to tell me differently when Gherson ends up losing a game. :reject:

I think the fines against Avery and Tucker are insufficient and an affront to hockey. I think the only proper resolution would be to have the two of them fight TO THE DEATH and then the winner gets killed by Jason Blake who in turn is eaten by lions and Ryan Hollweg - who then gets eaten by the lions. Any other "punishment" just doesn't cut it.

http://www.torontosun.com/News/TorontoAndGTA/2007/11/14/4654536-sun.html

Lusty Tlusty

Leafs rookie winger embarrassed after raunchy self-taken photos create Internet frenzy

Wed, November 14, 2007
By STEVE SIMMONS

Maple Leafs' rookie Jiri Tlusty has been caught with his pants down.

And the naked images of him leave little to the imagination.

Tlusty, the once-hot Leafs callup, is suddenly the centre of hockey attention after naked photos appeared on the Canadian gossip website isthishappening.com late last week.

The photos were actually shot by Tlusty, according to his lawyer, Jerome R. Morse.

"Mr. Tlusty took these photographs of himself with his camera phone last year," Morse wrote in an letter, e-mailed to Zack Taylor of isthishappening.com. "As such, Mr. Tlusty is the owner of these photographs and any unauthorized publication of these photographs is a violation of his copy-right."

Tlusty couldn't be reached for comment yesterday morning but, in an earlier e-mail response to the website, he wrote: "I feel like s--t right now."

"I used poor judgment in this instance last season and I have learned a valuable lesson," Tlusty said in a press release issued by the Leafs last night.

"It will not happen again and I have no further comment."

Leafs GM John Ferguson added: "He made a naive mistake as a teenager. It's a lesson in how something private can easily become very public in the Internet age."

The photos have since been removed from the website after Morse threatened legal action, but they still appear online in other places. Other photos, including one of Tlusty sticking his tongue out close to a male friend, are still on the isthishappening.com website.

According to a number of sources, Tlusty took numerous photos of himself, posted them on his Facebook website and actually e-mailed a full-frontal nude photo of himself to a woman he met online.

'MISTAKE WAS MADE'

All that happened before he joined the Leafs earlier this season but after he was the first-round draft pick of the team in 2006. The photos, circulated electronically among friends, wound up on the gossip website.

Czech-born Tlusty is only 19 years old and improving in his ability to speak English. "A mistake was made and it has been dealt with," said Paul Dennis, the Maple Leafs player development coach, who refused to confirm any of the details surrounding Tlusty's indiscretion.

"Everyone in this case has responded in the appropriate fashion (since it happened). The important thing for people in these situations is seeing the silver lining here and growing from it."

The Tlusty story is just the most recent example of youth tripping over technology and celebrity all at the same time. This has happened with people more famous, like Paris Hilton, and less famous, like the Saugeen stripper a few years back at the University of Western Ontario.

Leafs' coach Paul Maurice admitted yesterday he was made aware of the Tlusty situation recently and indicated the matter was being dealt with internally by the Toronto club.

"(Jiri's) handled it as well as anyone could handle it under the circumstances," said the coach. "It's an excellent learning experience for a young man.

"There has to be a new awareness (about new media). When you're in the public eye, you have to guard how you behave. I hope this young man can put this behind him quickly. I hope he has already."

Since posting the original photos, representatives of isthishappening.com have been interviewed by ETCanada and Much Music and website hits have grown from 50,000 daily, according to Zack Taylor, to more than 100,000.

'A GREAT KID'

"I feel bad for the kid," said Taylor. "But he's a professional athlete -- this is what happens."

Taylor called the reaction to the Tlusty photos "insane."

Tlusty's junior coach, Craig Hartsburg, wasn't surprised to hear that a player had been exposed online, but admitted to be stunned that the player was Tlusty. "This is bizarre," said a shocked Hartsburg. "He's a great kid, a great kid. I never had any issues with him.

"Does it surprise me that something like this happened? No. Does it surprise me that it happened to him? Absolutely."

Messages left for Bobby Orr and Rick Curran, Tlusty's agents, were not returned.

Tlusty, who was in the lineup last night when the Leafs played the Montreal Canadiens, became almost an overnight sensation earlier in the season when he scored the first goal of his NHL career off of his butt against the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Yesterday, however, it was other body parts people were talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom