The 10 Most Essential albums of the 60s any music fan should own!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
Why I'm asking for only 10 is so that it doesn't look too much like a mindless list thread and those who need to be exposed to this fine decade in music can actually start slow with a few albums and go from there.

Also, I realized that the only 60s albums I pretty much have are the Beatles ones and the Floyd/Zep/Doors ones from the late 60s. :reject: Now's your chance to admonish me for not owning any Beach Boys, Stones, Dylan or Hendrix albums. :wink:

Simon & Garfunkel's Greatest Hits, if you're allowing greatest hits packages. Any of the early Bob Dylan albums are great! Highway 61 Revisited and Blonde on Blonde being my favorites.

How about this one? :shifty:

400px-Electric_ladyland_nude_front_and_back.jpg

I have never seen this cover before now. :lol:

Rubber Soul
Revolver
Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band
Magical Mystery Tour
The White Album
Let it Be
Abbey Road

PlaTheGreat said:
I have Pet Sounds, Zoots :flirt:

:hyper:

I'm really surprised that nobody has posted any lists yet. :lol:

well... except for the total Beatles fest that Mr. GirlsAloud man posted!

Last edited:
SeattleVertigo said:
Simon & Garfunkel's Greatest Hits, if you're allowing greatest hits packages. Any of the early Bob Dylan albums are great! Highway 61 Revisited and Blonde on Blonde being my favorites.

Simon & Garfunkel's GH came out in the 70's, though.

From Genesis To Revelation by Genesis
In The Court Of The Crimson King by King Crimson
Astral Weeks by Van Morrison
Surrealistic Pillow by Jefferson Airplane
The Doors by The Doors
Axis: Bold As Love By Jimi Hendrix Experience
Disreali Gears by Cream
Days Of The Future Passed by Moody Blues
A Love Supreme by John Coltrane
Oribsongs by Roy Orbison

Well if we're including The Beatles, I'd have to include Sgt. Peppers, Abbey Road, AND The White Album. If we're excluding them and Floyd/Zep/Doors, here are my recommendations:

John Coltrane, A Love Supreme (good call, Screwtape)
Miles Davis, Bitches Brew
The Beach Boys, Pet Sounds
The Velvet Underground and Nico, S/T
The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Electric Ladyland
The Who, Live at Leeds
Bob Dylan, Highway 61 Revisited
The Kinks, Arthur (or The Decline and Fall of the British Empire) *
The Rolling Stones, Let it Bleed
Ray Charles, Modern Sounds in Country & Western Music

* or substitute for The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society

lazarus said:
The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Electric Ladyland

Do you prefer that one to Are You Exp?

Also, Beach Boys.... I was kinda thinking one of those sprawling hits collections. I miss songs like I Get Around and Surfin' USA that are not on Pet Sounds.

Zootlesque said:
Also, Beach Boys.... I was kinda thinking one of those sprawling hits collections. I miss songs like I Get Around and Surfin' USA that are not on Pet Sounds.

Dude, who cares? You can get those songs anywhere, but Pet Sounds as a whole is a great album, with or without those hits. Pet Sounds is an important album, as it was one of the major influences on Paul McCartney before the Beatles made Sgt. Peppers.

Very, very good choices, everyone. :drool:

Zoot, you can't go wrong with anything that's been listed so far, they're amazing, classic albums. If you want to try something a little different though, a little less common, some good, 60's poppy fun, then look up stuff by Paul Revere and the Raiders, The Grass Roots, and Tommy James and the Shondells. There are various greatest hits packages out there by each of these bands. :up:

BonoManiac said:
Pet Sounds is an important album, as it was one of the major influences on Paul McCartney before the Beatles made Sgt. Peppers.

Yeah I've heard about that.

Well, thanks for the suggestions everyone. I do own some 60s albums, guys... Beatles/Floyd/Zep/Doors :p and a Dylan self-made hits collection and same thing with the Stones. But now I can put more albums on my wishlist. :drool: :crack:

Btw, BoMac.... as I type this I'm in the process of acquiring Pet Sounds from a kind hearted soul here.

Zootlesque said:

Do you prefer that one to Are You Exp?

AYX has the big singles on it. Axis is really trippy, probably the most consistent. But Ladyland is the fucking epic, the BIG statement from a career cut way too short. I think if you want to check out his crowning achievement, warts and all, you're best served by getting that one.

This is a tough one, just picking 10. I'll keep it to one album per artist:

1. Beatles - Abbey Road (1969)
beatlesabbeyroadju9.jpg

2. The Kinks - Village Green Preservation Society (1968)
kinksmk8.jpg

3. The Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed (1969)
50b1d98c18lx2.jpg

4. Led Zeppelin - II (1969)
ledzeppelinledzeppelinijq4.jpg

5. The Byrds - Greatest Hits (1967)
pictureka6.jpg

6. Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited (1965)
3937lgcz2.jpg

7. The Moody Blues - Days Of Future Passed (1967)
daysoffuturepassedpd3.jpg

8. King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King (1969)
kingcrimsoncourtwl4.gif

9. The Zombies - Odessey And Oracle (1968)
1428113zc0.jpg

10. The Velvet Underground - White Light/White Heat (1968)
pictureke4.jpg

Does White Light/white Heat sound better than VU&N, and is it better?? Cos that album sounds like a dog.

I have the Essential Bob Dylan, and sadly apart from a bunch of about 10 or so tracks I can't say I'm that keen on it, though I spotted today 61 Revisited for $10, so I'll grab that next time I'm there.

I don't any many 60s albums.... any recommendations for Doors, jimi, etc?

COBL_04 said:
I don't any many 60s albums.... any recommendations for Doors, jimi, etc?

For Jimi, see Laz' post.

For Doors, the best place to start is at the top! Their self titled debut. I also like Morrisson Hotel. I've heard that Strange Days is good but I only know a bunch of songs on there.. whatever's on the Best Ofs. Actually, you can't go wrong with a Best Of to start with!

COBL_04 said:
Does White Light/white Heat sound better than VU&N, and is it better?? Cos that album sounds like a dog.

It sounds WORSE. Much, much, worse. But it's an experience, Danny. Nico has some songs that are total shit, mixed with some classics, while White Light is sheer mayhem, with no real breaks, and it coheres very well. It's also incredibly influential, though probably less so than Nico. I rank it considerably higher, though I may be in the minority.

PS: The Doors are horribly overrated.

in alphabetical order

Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica
Frank Zappa - We're only in it for the money (though I'd also recommend 69s Hot Rats)
James Brown - Live at the Apollo
Johnny Cash - At San Quentin
Leonard Cohen - Songs of Leonard Cohen
Neil Young - Everybody knows this is nowhere
Sly & The Family Stone - Stand
The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
The Flying Burrito Brothers - The Gilded Palace of Sin
Townes van Zandt - Our Mother the Mountain

actually Neil Young will have to go for Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell's You're All I Need

:hmm: Lemme see... Many of my favourites have already been mentioned. And they're probably all famous albums, but for a very good reason. :) But I figure that more mentions hopefully convince some to actually pick up those records.

(one album per artist, BTW)

The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited
The Beatles - Rubber Soul
The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Electric Ladyland
The Doors - The Doors
The Velvet Underground & Nico - The Velvet Underground & Nico
The Rolling Stones - Beggar's Banquet
Aretha Franklin - I Never Loved A Man
Otis Redding - Otis Blue: Otis Sings Soul
Love - Forever Changes

Back