Tea, South Dakota Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
wow i am liking brandon moss more and more without the helmet or hat. do me brandon. i'm so hitting the bars at home in search of him and jacoby.

Varitek said:

1. when we say it we mean central america. and we're closer, so there.

2. wow didn't know you had that in you.

1. You're the first American I've encountered who's used it to only mean Central. What makes me laugh in light of your statement is this from Wikipedia's page: "Often, particularly in the United States, the term may be used to refer to all of the Americas south of the U.S., including such countries as Belize, Jamaica, Barbados, Trinidad and Tobago, Guyana Antigua and Barbuda and the Bahamas, where English prevails."

And I've written about Latin America academically. I didn't get anywhere further north than Chile.

Perhaps most telling is that U2VT has never received complaints about calling the fourth leg of the Vertigo Tour the Latin American leg, yet we still get complaints about calling the fourth leg of Popmart "Rest of the World"!

Axver said:

1. You're the first American I've encountered who's used it to only mean Central. What makes me laugh in light of your statement is this from Wikipedia's page: "Often, particularly in the United States, the term may be used to refer to all of the Americas south of the U.S., including such countries as Belize, Jamaica, Barbados, Trinidad and Tobago, Guyana Antigua and Barbuda and the Bahamas, where English prevails."

And I've written about Latin America academically. I didn't get anywhere further north than Chile.

Perhaps most telling is that U2VT has never received complaints about calling the fourth leg of the Vertigo Tour the Latin American leg, yet we still get complaints about calling the fourth leg of Popmart "Rest of the World"!

i've always thought of it as central, and the islands, vs south. :shrug: i'm also not really feeling the xkcd mentality so much on this, more the special olympics mentality.

plus the point still stands that there are multiple sports in these countries, and that baseball is played and is vastly popular in more than just japan and the us.

Varitek said:

i've always thought of it as central, and the islands, vs south. :shrug: i'm also not really feeling the xkcd mentality so much on this, more the special olympics mentality.

:lol:

Actually, I have a tendency to primarily think of Central America when Latin America gets mentioned too. I suppose it's because I think of North America and South America as very clear continental terms, but when you want to discuss the countries straddling that divide, it's not so easy, so you fall back on Latin America. Certainly if I'm just discussing South American countries, I'll stick to "South America" and will only use "Latin America" if I want to group in countries to the north, e.g. on U2VT where I wanted to group Mexico with Brazil, Argentina, and Chile.

Varitek said:
plus the point still stands that there are multiple sports in these countries, and that baseball is played and is vastly popular in more than just japan and the us.

I never said there weren't multiple sports! I don't even know where you got that idea. I, however, was under the impression you were arguing that it was the leading sport - which it is in the case of a few, but not in the case of all.

The Dutch also probably have the best cricket team from continental Europe too.

And they brought the lulz at the last Cricket World Cup.

Axver said:

I never said there weren't multiple sports! I don't even know where you got that idea. I, however, was under the impression you were arguing that it was the leading sport - which it is in the case of a few, but not in the case of all.

you said japan and the us played baseball and 2 countries weren't enough to make a sport. or something. i was pointing out that many more countries play.

Alright, I really do need to go, it's past midnight and I was intending to get an early start on the trainspotting tomorrow.

Keep the postwhoring going, folks. :wave:

Since when was there another meaning?

(Argh, need to tear myself away from the computer.)

LENNY DINARDO too? jesus christ the a's bullpen is so boston 2004

moss-dinardo or moss-street: which was the better looking matchup? i'd do all 3 of them. and jacoby.

Right, I'm fading fast; this time I'm definitely out for the night. :wave:

Axver said:

Frankly, I don't think Bruce has recorded a single good studio album, at least of the five or six I've heard.

What I've heard live is rather good though. In other words, I wouldn't walk across the street to pick up his entire discography for free, but I'd pay to see him live.

There's no doubt he's one of the best live acts around, but he's got several legitimate classic albums under his belt, and obviously Born To Run is the biggest one.

Listen to Jungleland, one of the best songs of all-time. A classic tour de force of suburban America.

Axver said:

I love how both of you need to do things to keep yourselves awake.

Personally, I just switch to a sport that keeps me awake without me having to actually do anything.

I'm usually up early in order to go to work, but getting up at 6am to watch TV, no matter what sport it is, can be tough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom