Tampa Bay RAIDS Oakland

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

z edge

I serve MacPhisto
Looks like Tampa Bay Bucs found their new coach alright, Oakland's Jon Gruden. They supposedly signed him to a 5 year $18-20 million contract, to be announced at a press confrence tomorrow. It also looks like it is going to cost Tampa 1st and 2nd round draft picks this year, another #1 pick in 2003 and another #2 in 2004.

Damn, IMO this is bad news for Oakland who has been in the playoffs in the last 2 years under Gruden. They were heavily favored in the AFC in 2000, only to fall in the AFC Championship game to the Baltimore Ravens. Of course, I still can't see why the Bucs got rid of Tony Dungy.

This is all the info I have right now, should be more tomorrow.

This ought to make Bonovist happy
smile.gif

Gruden is a good coach but I don't know if he's worth all those picks and cash.

------------------
Me3

I think this trade helps Oakland, Gruden was unhappy, wouldn't have stayed past next season, and this way they got all those draft picks, which is a BIG DEAL, Tampa will suffer in the long run, they better hope Gruden works magic with that offense, but I don't see it happening (no Tim Brown, Jerry Rice, Tyrone Wheatley, Rich Gannon, etc in Tampa)

I think the thread should be titled "Oakland Raids Tampa Bay".
The Raiders made out like bandits, 4 picks and $8 Mil (be sure Al Davis loves that) for a coach who would have left in a year at the end of his contract.
Gruden will be a good fit in TB, he had the "most talented" team in the AFC and couldn't get to the Super Bowl, now he can continue that frustration in Tampa.
The Glazers are idiots.

I think the main thing is that Gruden could no longer get along with Al Davis. Hope he realizes it "ain't" gonna be any better with the Glaser Boys.

I agree Edgey, I will never see the reasoning behind the firing of Dungy. The fact remains that the Bucs main line is aging and to give up all those draft picks might be a high price to pay at this point.

Gruden though takes everything that a player can give and pulls it out of them, and has a way of coaching to the strengths of his players while minimizing their weaknesses.. I know.. sounds a bit like common sense, but I'm not worried too much about the lost draft picks, however, I am sweating about the line, Like someone said it is aging, But I'm sure they can pick up some people in free agency.

L.Unplugged

Back
Top Bottom