....talk about the weather - part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MsMofoGone said:
Oh no ... NOT severe !! :ohmy:
Hope you're safe and they're NOT as bad as they predict !! :up:

:hug:. Thanks. I don't think it's supposed to be too bad today-out here, they claim a "severe" storm is one with a lot of rain and some wind...which tends to be pretty typical for this area. That's all they're expecting, and even then, we only have a chance of storms through the next couple of hours or so...it'll all taper off to mere showers through the night.

That is one nice thing about living in Wyoming..."severe" out here doesn't automatically conjure up the kinds of images like those that people in the Midwest/Plains think of when they hear that word.

Originally posted by MsMofoGone
Today, I am getting heavy rainfall this morning with actual cloudy overcast ...
kind of eerie looking outside, rather depressing !! :tsk:
The High is gonna reach 82 and the rain will change to actual
Thunderstorms by noon.
Although storms, they are NOT supposed to be that severe !! :wink:

Heh, well, that's good :).

It's been pretty quiet here most of the day, but a few thundershowers have begun to pop up-been hearing the occasional rumble of thunder.

I'm just happy 'cause we've got some pretty decent weather coming up these next few days. Reasonable temperatures, rain tomorrow, but sunshine the rest of the time (at least, that's the forecast as of now).

I just can't believe we're gonna have temperatures in the 50s tomorrow for our high :ohmy:. It's gonna be pretty chilly tomorrow.

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:

That is one nice thing about living in Wyoming..."severe" out here doesn't automatically conjure up the kinds of images like those that people in the Midwest/Plains think of when they hear that word.

You're real lucky then ... as I live in the Midwest !! :wink:
When we get severe weather ... usually that means duck and cover (take shelter) :yikes:

Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel

I just can't believe we're gonna have temperatures in the 50s tomorrow for our high :ohmy:.

WOW !! Please send that weather over here to Central Illinois !!
I think all the people in this state would faint, if that weather was here for even one night !! :shocked:
It's just NOT possible during this month !! :sad:

MsMofoGone said:
You're real lucky then ... as I live in the Midwest !! :wink:
When we get severe weather ... usually that means duck and cover (take shelter) :yikes:

Heh, yeah, I know what that's like, believe me. But, uh, heh, heh, I guess I spoke too soon earlier...the southern part of our county's actually under a tornado warning right now. The storm's south of our town and moving away from us, but still... There's apparently an actual tornado on the ground near a town in the southern part of the county right now :ohmy:. We also had a severe thunderstorm warning for our part of the county earlier-had some pretty good hail come down there for a minute or two.

This isn't a common thing, however, so you're right, we are generally luckier than those in the Midwest, normally this doesn't happen when severe storms are forecast. But still, funny I say that earlier about it not being too bad tonight, and then this comes up. Like I said, our town is fine, the tornado won't hit it-matter of fact, it's not even storming here right now, it's just cloudy...but anyone in the southern part of the county's gonna wanna be on the lookout.

WOW !! Please send that weather over here to Central Illinois !! I think all the people in this state would faint, if that weather was here for even one night !! :shocked:
It's just NOT possible during this month !! :sad:

LOL, yeah, unfortunately, that's not very common out there this time of year. I'd definitely be willing to let you share in the cool weather :D.

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:

There's apparently an actual tornado on the ground near a town in the southern part of the county right now :ohmy:. We also had a severe thunderstorm warning for our part of the county earlier-had some pretty good hail come down there for a minute or two.

WOW ... hopefully the tornado isn't major and won't be in anyone's path !!
As for hail, yeah I know what that's like !! :tsk:
I used to park my automobile outside ... One day when we had hail with a severe storm, it dented my entire car from hood to roof to trunk !! The absolutely crazy thing was when I reported it to my insurance, they were NOT going to cover the damage as they do NOT cover damages caused by an Act Of God. I moved 6 mos. later from my apartment and found a home with a garage because of that reason !! :wink:

anyone in the southern part of the county's gonna wanna be on the lookout.

If their warning was early enough, I'm sure those people have taken immediate shelter !!
I hope everything's alright for them!! :hug:

MsMofoGone said:
WOW ... hopefully the tornado isn't major and won't be in anyone's path !!

Don't know how big it is, but my dad just got a call from someone who's at the station right now that there was apparently some damage in one of the towns down there. Don't know right now whether the damage was minor or major, though-hopefully minor.

As for hail, yeah I know what that's like !! :tsk:
I used to park my automobile outside ... One day when we had hail with a severe storm, it dented my entire car from hood to roof to trunk !! The absolutely crazy thing was when I reported it to my insurance, they were NOT going to cover the damage as they do NOT cover damages caused by an Act Of God.

Insurance companies can be so goofy about those things. I always get a kick out of how most don't cover flood insurance, especially considering that's the most common natural disaster in the country. They cover a ton of other stuff, but not floods. Okay, that makes sense :eyebrow:.

The hail dented your entire car? :ohmy:. Wow.

I moved 6 mos. later from my apartment and found a home with a garage because of that reason !! :wink:

LOL, good idea :up:.

If their warning was early enough, I'm sure those people have taken immediate shelter !! I hope everything's alright for them!! :hug:

Oh, yeah, they had some good warning time-the warning came up almost a full hour ago, and the tornado hit, like, half an hour after the warning started or something, so they had time. I hope they're all okay down there, too :uhoh:. Thankfully, though, most of the southern part of the county is nothing more than open land, so it's not like it's a heavily populated area, which helps. But still, a few people do live there, so hopefully they're all all right.

Apparently we're also under a severe thunderstorm watch until 11 pm our time, too.

Yeah. I really did speak too soon earlier :huh:.

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:

Don't know how big it is, but my dad just got a call from someone who's at the station right now that there was apparently some damage in one of the towns down there. Don't know right now whether the damage was minor or major, though-hopefully minor.

Lemme know, what happened ... hopefully all is alright there !! :wink:

The hail dented your entire car? :ohmy:. Wow.

It was reported as slightly bigger than golf ball size and falling at a speed of 20 MPH !!
Talk about a headache ... I remember some people who were mentioned as ending up in the hospital with a minor concusion ... because when they were hit by the hail, it actually stunned them to a point of feeling light-headed and dizzy !! :tsk: :no:

Rained this morning, heavy and had a rumble or two of thunder. We really needed that rain though. Hopefully we'll get some more. The sky is clearing now, sun poking through and it's a bit humid.

MsMofoGone said:
Lemme know, what happened ... hopefully all is alright there !! :wink:

Uh, well, apparently it's a bit worse than my family originally thought. My dad headed out to the station yesterday evening, and he said that it really looked pitch black off to our south, and that he could see the clouds rotating from where he was. Apparently a sherriff in that area reported two funnels coming together to form one tornado.

And while the southern part of the county had the tornado warning for a while, I guess the town down there that I mentioned yesterday that had reports of damage really didn't actually have any warning after all, because by the time the sirens were sounded and the people were in the process of alerting them and all that, the tornado was already there, that's how quick it spun up. According to my dad, there were a bunch of homes that were damaged, and 40 were completely destroyed, most of which were mobile homes and such. And there were a bunch of injuries, most of which, thankfully, though, were not life-threatening. However, 2 people were killed, sad to say, one was an elderly man sitting in his home, the other I haven't heard who it was yet :(. It's not official yet, but people are saying that going by damages, they're estimating that the tornado was an F2 so far.

They've showed clips of the whole thing on the Weather Channel from time to time today. That must've been one hell of a cold front, then, 'cause parts of Montana actually saw some snow yesterday and parts of my state saw temperatures in the 20s and 30s last night. And after the storms passed here, it was around 50 degrees and really felt like late October outside. It was quite chilly.

But it's just so weird, that whole thing just kinda blew up out of nowhere. One minute it's quiet and calm, the next it's storming and there's tornado warnings (a county east of us and a county directly south of us had tornado warnings, too, last night. But no confirmed tornadoes in those counties, thankfully) and watches and all that sort of thing, and then boom, it's over and it's cold and rainy. Go figure. And like I said, this is not that common for our area of the country. Matter of fact, the last time anyone was killed by a tornado was in July of 1979, and my dad says that one happened in Cheyenne, which is way down in the southeastern part of the state, close to the Nebraska border, and they generally do get those kinds of storms. Up here, that's just rather rare. Very strange.

It was reported as slightly bigger than golf ball size and falling at a speed of 20 MPH !!
Talk about a headache ... I remember some people who were mentioned as ending up in the hospital with a minor concusion ... because when they were hit by the hail, it actually stunned them to a point of feeling light-headed and dizzy !! :tsk: :no:

Oh, wow. Those poor people-yeouch.

Our hail was quarter-sized yesterday. Not anywhere near as big as that (I have seen some real doozies of hailstones on TV before, though...wouldn't want some of those slamming down on my head).

Thankfully, it's a lot quieter today. Didn't wind up getting any of our rain showers people were forecasting, it's just been cloudy and cool. 55 degrees, last I saw, was our temperature.

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:

Apparently a sherriff in that area reported two funnels coming together to form one tornado. And while the southern part of the county had the tornado warning for a while, I guess the town down there that I mentioned yesterday that had reports of damage really didn't actually have any warning after all

That's absolutely terrible !! :tsk: :sad:
You know, actually the weather forecasters are getting to be ridiculous !! :ohmy:
I mean, why they can't pinpoint a tornado's location better

(especially with that new doppler radar) :scratch:
Early warning is so-ooo crucial as it is our only line of defense ... :up:

But it's just so weird, that whole thing just kinda blew up out of nowhere. One minute it's quiet and calm, the next it's storming and there's tornado warnings

Yeah really, that's what I've always heard happens before a tornado develops ...
Totally Unbelievable !! :(

Right now, the low is 70 and a cool breeze is blowing in through the windows in my house !! :wink:

not great actually

its been cloudy and bleak all day and its not raining, as in raining raining but there is a presence of drips of water about, making outdoor activities a write-off

MsMofoGone said:
That's absolutely terrible !! :tsk: :sad:
You know, actually the weather forecasters are getting to be ridiculous !! :ohmy:
I mean, why they can't pinpoint a tornado's location better

(especially with that new doppler radar) :scratch:
Early warning is so-ooo crucial as it is our only line of defense ... :up:

Well, they do what they can, but tornadoes are just still very unpredictable, so it's not always easy to pinpoint the location better. Tornadoes can do some really weird stuff, change direction very quickly. Most of the time, you do get warned early enough, but this tornado just spun up totally unexpectedly. They were not, as far as I know, expecting that sort of thing Friday.

But yeah, it is sad. However, my dad said that when he was at the station on Friday, he got a ton of calls from people in our town offering all kinds of help to the people in the town that got hit-offering shelter for those who've lost homes, offering furniture and food and clothing and all that sort of thing. So there's one upside, at least.

Yeah really, that's what I've always heard happens before a tornado develops ... Totally Unbelievable !! :(

Mmhm. That's why those things scare me, there's no rhyme or reason to them. Only thing that's required for one to form is a storm, but once that's in place, anything can happen. Freaky stuff.

Right now, the low is 70 and a cool breeze is blowing in through the windows in my house !! :wink:

We've got a cool breeze here, too-it's in the low 50s here. 51, I believe, was the temperature last I looked. And my dad says it's a bit drizzly.

Angela

Clouding up here and quite humid. I think the base temp is around 23.. which would be nice.. but the humidity has it feeling like 30C. Blech. I guess there's a system rolling in this afternoon and tonight that we're supposed to get a ton of rain with. Okay not a ton.. but alot of it. Since we've needed the rain.. I'm all for it. I guess part of it is from a tropical system.

it's starting to cool down. I don't know if it's good or bad. I can't believe summer is almost over. I love fall but winter is a nasty mother :censored: so it's hard to enjoy fall knowing what's around the corner. I wish it could stay just how it is right now all year long :sad:

Was in the...70s today, I believe, for our high, and absolutely gorgeous weather-blue sky and sun, with the occasional white puffy clouds, and a nice breeze to boot. And it's supposed to be in the 50s for the low tonight.

Have a chance of rain and/or storms through the rest of this week-hopefully we'll see nothing more like last Friday's weather. But temperature-wise, no real complaints-pretty reasonable highs and lows.

Angela

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom