Symphonic Album Mini-Game: Quarterfinal, Heat 3 - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Please vote!
phillyfan26 7 50.00%
Screwtape2 7 50.00%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-11-2007, 08:53 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 06:30 PM
A three-way would be best in my biased opinion. Plus we know Lemonchick will beat both of us.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:55 PM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 04:30 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
Hmm. I'm not sure what to do. Trying to use points from the groups strikes me as a little tough given the two come from totally different groups and thus their results aren't very comparable.

Shall we just manually count hardyharhar's vote and move on, or should both advance to a three-way clash? In the past, we've just gone for three-way clashes.
I'm not sure if you're saying to omit PhillyFan by counting hardyharhar's vote, but that would be grossly unfair.

Since the results were so close, maybe people wouldn't mind a three-way, but then again, some other people lost out by a very thin margin as well.

Are we going to do the same thing for those people?

Old 10-11-2007, 09:03 PM   #18
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 10:30 AM
It was just that hardyharhar seemed to have just missed the deadline, and his vote would have broken the tie.

But the more I think about it, the more I'm in favour of just going by past precedent of allowing both to progress to a three-way clash. I'm not seeing how close victories are relevant to that ...

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 10-11-2007, 09:07 PM   #19
Refugee

For example:

Lancemc lost his round by 1 vote to LemonMacPhisto. But the standings showed that they were tied prior to the quarterfinals, 10-10. It's about the same situation as Screwtape/Phillyfan, isn't it?
Old 10-11-2007, 09:11 PM   #20
Vocal parasite

... so? He lost. I'm not seeing why anything needs to be done about it.

Need I bring up the All Blacks as an example of a close and unjust lost but still aren't being let through to the semi-finals of a far more important tournament, the Rugby World Cup?

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 10-11-2007, 09:14 PM   #21
Refugee

Well, I guess I'm just not understanding the rules of the competition. I thought tiebreakers were handled by points won in previous rounds.

I'm just playing devil's advocate -- I'd like to see a result that everybody thinks is fair. Whatever you guys decide.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:18 PM   #22
Vocal parasite

But there is no tiebreaker in the example you provided, as one contestant clearly lost. And all previous ties we have had were simply settled through points allocation as they weren't sudden death rounds like this one. I don't think we ever articulated a policy for sudden death ties! We never do and it always happens!

So I think we should just go with the past precedent of sending both through. That's had consensus support in the past.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 10-11-2007, 09:22 PM   #23
Refugee

If there's consensus, then it's fine with me! And next time the situation comes up, we'll know what to do.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:43 PM   #24
Vocal parasite

I think for now, we should send both through. I would like to formulate some actual plan to break ties so that we don't end up with three-way rounds, but not in the middle of a tournament. We'd just rush things and I wouldn't want anyone to feel unfairly eliminated due to that.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 10-11-2007, 10:37 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Well, I did outline the tiebreaker scenario back in Desert Island III, so I'm not sure why people are questioning it now.

I know it sucks for the person who loses the tiebreaker, and I understand the desire for both to get another shot, but we are basing this on the World Cup format that you wanted. You certainly don't have two teams advancing together there, so you shouldn't have two moving on here, either.

phillyfan has one more overall point than Screwtape, so he should probably be able to advance. Furthermore, he has a better overall record and vote differential as well.

That's my opinion, anyway. I won't be able to do the semifinals until the morning now, so feel free to think about it some more. I'm open to other ideas. Not sure how much I like the three-way option, though. I think it would be unfair to the winner of Heat 3 (who would face the winner here) because then that person could have potential votes taken away that they might have had if it was only two people.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:32 PM   #26
Vocal parasite

Oh, you did outline a tiebreaker scenario? As is probably evident by my last few posts, I'd completely forgotten! Sorry about that.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 10-11-2007, 11:36 PM   #27
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:30 PM
It's by overall points, that's how I progressed during the quarters in the last game I believe.

I think it's probably the only fault of this system as opposed to the round robin one.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:30 PM   #28
Blue Crack Supplier

I go away for one night and all of this happens? What's gotten into you guys?

Tags
desert island