Switchfoot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
inmyplace13 said:

Putting out a sound that's fresh and unique.

We need more of it.

I haven't listened to Demon Days, and I liked their previous effort but I've always thought of it as Albarn's pet project with cutesy cartoon characters... maybe their new album is fresh and unique, but I don't think they have any more effect on the music industry than Switchfoot

Canadiens1160 said:
For good measure

aladdin3.jpg
aladdin2.jpg

See Bowie looks cool, Eno looks tacky...

MrBrau1 said:
I've think I've heard that "Dare You to Move" song.

Don't think I had any strong love/hate reaction.
so would 'ambivalent' describe your reaction accurately?

would you go so far as to call it bland?

lmjhitman said:

so would 'ambivalent' describe your reaction accurately?

would you go so far as to call it bland?

Wow, let it be. You've got your point across. Beating it into the ground won't convince anyone new, fyi.

Ambivalent. Yes. That's correct.

I didn't pay attention enough to judge whether
is was bland or not.

I won't be writing love letters.

Nor will I be writing hate mail.

maycocksean said:

Nminor--Maybe slightly nuts.

enh, it was a bad day.

maycocksean said:

And to suggest that postivity might be good! Madness! Unspoken rule: angst and darkness are real. Hope and light? Cheese, man. Cheese. (Granted, expressing hope and light without being cheesy is a LOT harder, and those who try usually fail. What U2 knows is that you can't appreciate the light without understanding the darkness. Most artists don't get that).

I agree, but i think switchfoot has progressed a lot in this aspect. they are no longer a 'worship' band. hell, one of the songs from the new album is called 'the shadow proves the sunshine.' as far as who is doing more for the music industry, i don't really care. i'll listen to what i want to listen to. i dont know how anyone else would define 'doing more for the music industry' but for me its as aeon said- nsync and eminem sold a lot of cd's, does that make them quality artist? some might think so, but not me. don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to say that anyone here is guilty of like nysync. i love bands like radiohead, r.e.m.:drool: , and other 'acceptable' bands, but i don't see them as having a huge impact on todays music scene. thats what i'm trying to say, having a band like switchfoot in the top 40 is fresh, it is different, because its reaching people who wouldn't hear it otherwise.

Flying FuManchu said:

LOL... you just so want to bring out the hate...
not yet.
Originally posted by MrBrau1

I won't be writing love letters.

Nor will I be writing hate mail.
so do you just save that for radiohead? ;)

nminor said:

enh, it was a bad day.

Don't let the bastards drag you down.

nminor said:

I agree, but i think switchfoot has progressed a lot in this aspect. they are no longer a 'worship' band. hell, one of the songs from the new album is called 'the shadow proves the sunshine.' as far as who is doing more for the music industry, i don't really care. i'll listen to what i want to listen to. i dont know how anyone else would define 'doing more for the music industry' but for me its as aeon said- nsync and eminem sold a lot of cd's, does that make them quality artist? some might think so, but not me. don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to say that anyone here is guilty of like nysync. i love bands like radiohead, r.e.m.:drool: , and other 'acceptable' bands, but i don't see them as having a huge impact on todays music scene. thats what i'm trying to say, having a band like switchfoot in the top 40 is fresh, it is different, because its reaching people who wouldn't hear it otherwise.

I don't think they were ever a true 'worship' band (these days every body and their brother is doing a "praise and worship" album in the Christian music industry, but that's a different thread. . .a different forum. . .a different website all together so we won't go there), not in the sense of say a Sonicflood or whatever. I'm just saying they are coming from a different place than U2. I agree with you that's it's nice to see a "quality" Christian band out there being well received in the mainstream market--I just wouldn't put them up in the rarefied air that U2 inhabits. In my opinion, U2 is one of the greatest bands of all time, and as much as I might like Switchfoot, I can't put them in that category (at least not now. . .who knows maybe in 20 years it will be Elvis, The Beatles, The Stones, The Boss, U2, Switchfoot. But I doubt it. If we are all wrong though, you'll have serious bragging rights for "seeing it" when no one else did).

I'm not a big fan of Eminem at all, but I think you'd have to be a fool to not recognize his impact on the world of hip hop (even if you could care less about hip hop). He is unquestionably the first white artist to master the genre--as I've said before elsewhere, he is rap's Elvis. He's definitely a "quality" artist even if I don't care for the product.

Finally, I understand your saying you like R.E.M. and Radiohead and I understand you hating on nsync and all, but that's what just drives me nuts. R.E.M. and Radiohead are the "right" bands. nsync is just so "wrong."

I think I'm going to start a thread called "My Musical Shame" where we all just confess all those "inappropriate bands" that we love. Surely there must be some diehard U2 fan who struggles with a secret passion for the bubblegum pop of Britney Spears.

maycocksean said:

I'm not a big fan of Eminem at all, but I think you'd have to be a fool to not recognize his impact on the world of hip hop (even if you could care less about hip hop). He is unquestionably the first white artist to master the genre--as I've said before elsewhere, he is rap's Elvis. He's definitely a "quality" artist even if I don't care for the product.

I think that is the case in todays music, unfortunately. In most cases, rappers do have the most interesting, provacative things to say. It is the new "rock" music. It's what rock was in 1964. While i find eminem interesting lyrically; musically and styistcally, he sucks, in my humble opinion. I haven't listened to a lot of him, admittely, but i have a cd of his somewhere lying around. Anyway, it seems any interesting melody or instrumentation is sampled from a classic rock song, or a childhood bedtime lullabye. idk, the whole rap scene passsed me by. i get into a few different songs, but as a genre, not my favorite.

maycocksean said:

I think I'm going to start a thread called "My Musical Shame" where we all just confess all those "inappropriate bands" that we love. Surely there must be some diehard U2 fan who struggles with a secret passion for the bubblegum pop of Britney Spears.

:up: :rockon:

i'd post, but i would lose any shred of any integrity i might still have.

screw that, i'm gonna do it

The cynicism is this thread astounds me. Seriously, I'm not a big fan of switchfoot...but I've had it up to here with the 'cool club' atmosphere in this forum. Music isn't a contest; music isn't something you wear. Music is something that is experienced and enjoyed. Some people enjoy the feeling that optimistic music gives them. It seems like depressing/cooler than thou bands get a much fairer shake in here......

Back
Top Bottom