Switchfoot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lmjhitman said:

in fact, some of us think that the current incarnation of U2 is shit, and even compared to THAT, switchfoot are still somehow shittier.

so yeah, that would make switchfoot like, really, REALLY BAD.

:up:

nminor said:
i think that most of you are looking at this the wrong way. u2 and switchfoot don't really appeal to the same market. like it or not, there aren't many teenagers getting into u2 at this point in their career. (there are exceptions of course, me being one of them) but if some kid turns on the radio and hears 'dare you to move' or 'we are one tonight' and decides that life is still worth living, or it helps them get through at tough time in their life, it that such a bad thing? (if you think i'm joking, i'm not, i've seen and heard of things life this happening) it could be why i like them so much, a lot of the lyrics appeal to me on a personal level. 'bands' like black eyed peas, gorrilaz, etc., even if they are 'groundbreaking', so what? maybe i haven't accepted the fact that music can't change the world. do i have to?

and there's always the cool story of when jon foreman met bono: he tried giving him $40 for a u2 concert that he snuck into back in the day, and bono gave it right to him! good thing too, it was his last $40. he does mention bono in a song also, 'gone'. there are good lines in that one too, about 'do we know what life is, outside of out convienent lexus cages...'

but i won't get into that :whistle:

worst post of the year, thus far.

i DETESTE these lame throwaway phrases like "but if some kid turns on the radio and hears 'dare you to move' or 'we are one tonight' and decides that life is still worth living, or it helps them get through at tough time in their life, it that such a bad thing?"

you sound like bono, and that's not a good thing.

and please don't ever, EVER say that the gorillaz don't mean anything when you're hyping switchfoot. you don't have a clue, i'm sorry.

ummm...gorillaz just plain sucks. Switchoot isn't as bad as most of you are saying. But gorillaz is ASS.

:giggle:

It just gets worse. Let the consumption of human flesh begin.

AEON said:
ummm...gorillaz just plain sucks. Switchoot isn't as bad as most of you are saying. But gorillaz is ASS.

Wow.

Last edited:
I don't like their name. It sounds like a disease affecting livestock.

What's sad for me is an up and coming band I've been following for years is opening for them right now

Poor Eisley. I guess you gotta get exposure somehow.

AEON said:

don't you have re-runs from survivor four to watch?

i'm guessing something along those lines would be something you'd find appealing, am i right?

Zoomerang96 said:

i DETESTE these lame throwaway phrases like "but if some kid turns on the radio and hears 'dare you to move' or 'we are one tonight' and decides that life is still worth living, or it helps them get through at tough time in their life, it that such a bad thing?"

you sound like bono, and that's not a good thing.

and what if its true?

is it to late to agree to disagree?

maybe i did over state them. no, i did. but they are not 'shit'. i don't care what you say.

hmm

well i was into switchfoot before they were mainstream because i listen to christian rock and they have been cool for quite a few years now...i got the beautiful letdown way back when and such

the beautiful letdown has some really great songs, but i dont listen to them a lot, they are not like a hugely awesome band, mainly cuz they are selling out, they shouldnt lose their christian source. But they are still great, and I hope they dont lose focus, because they have an awesome position as a christian band in the mainstream

AEON said:
you know i read your list in the top 15 thread and, with the exception of htdaab, it's really quite good. so good that i wonder if you're the same aeon that made this thread and posted the above comments. it's like you're a musical dr. jekyll and mr. hyde.

and, you're right. switchfoot aren't nearly as bad as we're saying. they're much, MUCH worse.

lmjhitman said:

you know i read your list in the top 15 thread and, with the exception of htdaab, it's really quite good. so good that i wonder if you're the same aeon that made this thread and posted the above comments. it's like you're a musical dr. jekyll and mr. hyde.

and, you're right. switchfoot aren't nearly as bad as we're saying. they're much, MUCH worse.

Please do not mistake me for a Switchfoot fan. I started this thread to get some feedback. Three weeks ago, I never heard of them. I downloaded some songs I have found their stuff pretty good. Not the best of all time, but pretty good. I did a little research on them and they were compared to U2 because of the Christian background and the "crossover" success.

Believe it or not, I'm quite picky when it comes to music. In fact, I never listen to the radio. Only CD's or news (thats how much modern music sucks). There are few newer bands I think have some potential. I really think The Killers can really make a big impact if they don't let the hye get to their head. I thought The Strokes could be great until their latest album.

BTW - I've never seen one episode of Survivor. I like the shows House, 24, and Lost and that's about it. And gorrillaz is still pure, unadulterated ASS. I can't stand gimicks. Just a pet peave of mine.

yes, i've heard the problem with gimmicks from the uptight turds who thought u2 went "all electronica on us pure fans who want them to be as good as the police".

the only gimmick is their image.

the music kicks ass.

u2 has always had gimmicks. most of them were pretty cool, until they threw in the towel.

I don't think of the fact that they appear as cartoons as a gimmick as much as I think it's innovative.

And as zoomazoomzoom said, the music really does kick ass. Listen to Demon Days front to back and tell me they're not a very special, unique group. Even if you don't like their style/image/music, you have to admit they're doing more for the music industry than Switchfoot

inmyplace13 said:
Even if you don't like their style/image/music, you have to admit they're doing more for the music industry than Switchfoot

I really don't judge a band by their ability to "do something" for the music industry. If that were so, I would be an Eminem, P-Diddy, N' Sync, Mariah Carie fan.

For me, it all comes down to whether or not I like the music. I can't say I like gorrilaz music...or their freaky looking cartoon avatars.

AEON said:

Please do not mistake me for a Switchfoot fan. I started this thread to get some feedback. Three weeks ago, I never heard of them. I downloaded some songs I have found their stuff pretty good. Not the best of all time, but pretty good. I did a little research on them and they were compared to U2 because of the Christian background and the "crossover" success.

Believe it or not, I'm quite picky when it comes to music. In fact, I never listen to the radio. Only CD's or news (thats how much modern music sucks). There are few newer bands I think have some potential. I really think The Killers can really make a big impact if they don't let the hye get to their head. I thought The Strokes could be great until their latest album.

BTW - I've never seen one episode of Survivor. I like the shows House, 24, and Lost and that's about it. And gorrillaz is still pure, unadulterated ASS. I can't stand gimicks. Just a pet peave of mine.

Nothing wrong with liking Switchfoot. You heard something that you liked and latched on to it... be it potential that you saw in the band or its something in their music you're into (be it the meoldy, the themes they're singing about, or the style)...

Opinions are like assholes, y'know...

Last edited:
inmyplace13 said:
I don't think of the fact that they appear as cartoons as a gimmick as much as I think it's innovative.

And as zoomazoomzoom said, the music really does kick ass. Listen to Demon Days front to back and tell me they're not a very special, unique group. Even if you don't like their style/image/music, you have to admit they're doing more for the music industry than Switchfoot

What are the Gorillaz doing for the music industry more than Switchfoot?

I have doubts that mentioning Brian Eno can save any thread or give a thread or someone's musical tastes any credibility... but here's a pic anyways to see if anything happens...

c_73-09-23_n38.JPG

Flying FuManchu said:

What are the Gorillaz doing for the music industry more than Switchfoot?

Putting out a sound that's fresh and unique.

We need more of it.

Flying FuManchu said:

Nothing wrong with liking Switchfoot. You heard something that you liked and latched on to it... be it potential that you saw in the band or its something in their music you're into (be it the meoldy, the themes they're singing about, or the style)...

Opinions are like assholes, y'know...

Well said.

AEON--Bold

Nminor--Maybe slightly nuts.

Snobbery is, sadly, strongly entrenched in the arts. All you have to do is take a look at the 15 top albums thread and you had to know this thread was not going to be received well. There are rules, unspoken rules. There are bands that are "okay" and there are bands that are "not." Switchfoot is not.

And to suggest that postivity might be good! Madness! Unspoken rule: angst and darkness are real. Hope and light? Cheese, man. Cheese. (Granted, expressing hope and light without being cheesy is a LOT harder, and those who try usually fail. What U2 knows is that you can't appreciate the light without understanding the darkness. Most artists don't get that).

Having said that. I like Switchfoot well enough. I enjoyed The Beautiful Letdown--I thought it was a fresh, modern sound. I liked the lyrics well enough.

But I wouldn't put them in the same category as U2. Not even close. Sonically, of course their sound is completely different. It's the sort of band that would really get a lot of attention from say, the teenage girl audience (which there is nothing wrong with--it's just not the U2 typical U2 audience. Never has been). Lyrically, t Jon Foreman is no Bono. Anyone who has a shoutout to Bono in their songs is no Bono. His lyrics are not horribly bad, some are pretty good in my opinion, but they're not fresh. The topics aren't fresh and the way he approaches the topics isn't fresh. Spiritually, I would say, they are also completely different. Switchfoot is a "youth group" Christian band who managed to be lucky enought to crossover into the mainstream. While I listen to a lot of Christian music (because I'm a Christian and the music speaks to me where I am) the Christian music industry really annoys the hell out of me. U2 is a band whose members (at least some of them) are Christians but they've never been a "Christian" band. They didn't start out in the Christian niche market. They didn't try to "crossover." U2 has always just been who they are, and it's one of the reasons the Christian music world can't figure out what to do with them. "Is Bono a Christian? Well he sings "Forty". But then he says "fuck" on national televison? And then there was that whole 'Pop' thing with the wake up dead man and if god will send his angels. We don't know"

The fact that U2 isn't "trying" to be something is why I respect them.

I might suggest Rich Mullins as a lyricist to match Bono, in terms of quality, if not style. . .

As to the Gorillaz. I confess, I'm an old man. I don't know what's going on in music these days. I just like what I like.

The hard thing is to just like what you like, and let people laugh. The easy thing is to have the "right" tastes in music, and get people's "respect."

maycocksean said:
Snobbery is, sadly, strongly entrenched in the arts. All you have to do is take a look at the 15 top albums thread and you had to know this thread was not going to be received well. There are rules, unspoken rules. There are bands that are "okay" and there are bands that are "not." Switchfoot is not.

And to suggest that postivity might be good! Madness! Unspoken rule: angst and darkness are real. Hope and light? Cheese, man. Cheese. (Granted, expressing hope and light without being cheesy is a LOT harder, and those who try usually fail. What U2 knows is that you can't appreciate the light without understanding the darkness. Most artists don't get that).

Thankfully, threads like this help us "out" the true followers of the rule book. The Bullshit is neck high and getting deeper.

The guy on my radio said that "Dare You To Move" was going to be the anthem for the 2004 Vote. And he was always pimping their grammy nomination.

Guess not! :drool:

Back
Top Bottom