Swampy Summit, Otago Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, so that's where that Norwegian guy doing Beautiful Day came from. I remember threads about it on EYKIW back in the day.

Nice. :up:

How long's the degree?

Camping festivals just don't appeal to me. That "glamping" shit was made for softcocks like me who need, at bare minimum, indoor plumbing, a good shower, and a couple of power points. I'd go if the lineup were superb enough though.

I feel like there's a North Carolina bathrooms joke here but it's just not coming together for me.
thanks! it's a two year degree, so i'm already at the halfway mark. it's nice knowing that, but also pretty terrifying that this time next year i'll have graduated and will need to get my ass in gear and enter the real world again. :uhoh:

they really don't to me either tbh, but it was an epic way to hear a lot of psytrance in one fell swoop. there's never any shows around here so going to shows always involves a 5-6 hour drive so at least doing some kind of weekend thing makes it more worth it rather than a one night thing. at least the one we're going to next weekend does allow re-entry so we can get a hotel room instead of camping, especially great since it'll be summer by then. although we all (it was me, the bf, and two of his friends camping) totally underestimated how fucking cold it would be up in the mountains — especially hilarious bc one of his friends didn't live that far from the site — i think mainly because a cold front came in. it was COLD. like a low of 40f (4c). and i was wearing these thin cargo capri pants, regular shirt, and a thin hoodie. i brought no pants, no thicker hoodies, only one dang blanket. we all thought we'd be baking in the heat so i brought layers of stuff so i could add/remove clothing if need be. but last night it was so cold i could see my breath, geez. and it's freaking mid-may.

at the very least, there were actual bathrooms (plenty of portable ones too but there was a building with real bathrooms and showers) and our site did have a power hookup although it wasn't working. luckily we had a converter thing to inflate air mattresses using the car's cigarette lighter.

i thought of the whole north carolina bathroom thing too! :lol: luckily the vibe was totally cool, i.e. if i'd gone into the men's bathroom i don't think anyone would've cared. it was a cool experience (minus falling while packing up the car and scraping the hell out of all of my limbs) but i'm not sure if i want to do it again.

thanks! it's a two year degree, so i'm already at the halfway mark. it's nice knowing that, but also pretty terrifying that this time next year i'll have graduated and will need to get my ass in gear and enter the real world again. :uhoh:

they really don't to me either tbh, but it was an epic way to hear a lot of psytrance in one fell swoop. there's never any shows around here so going to shows always involves a 5-6 hour drive so at least doing some kind of weekend thing makes it more worth it rather than a one night thing. at least the one we're going to next weekend does allow re-entry so we can get a hotel room instead of camping, especially great since it'll be summer by then. although we all (it was me, the bf, and two of his friends camping) totally underestimated how fucking cold it would be up in the mountains — especially hilarious bc one of his friends didn't live that far from the site — i think mainly because a cold front came in. it was COLD. like a low of 40f (4c). and i was wearing these thin cargo capri pants, regular shirt, and a thin hoodie. i brought no pants, no thicker hoodies, only one dang blanket. we all thought we'd be baking in the heat so i brought layers of stuff so i could add/remove clothing if need be. but last night it was so cold i could see my breath, geez. and it's freaking mid-may.

at the very least, there were actual bathrooms (plenty of portable ones too but there was a building with real bathrooms and showers) and our site did have a power hookup although it wasn't working. luckily we had a converter thing to inflate air mattresses using the car's cigarette lighter.

i thought of the whole north carolina bathroom thing too! :lol: luckily the vibe was totally cool, i.e. if i'd gone into the men's bathroom i don't think anyone would've cared. it was a cool experience (minus falling while packing up the car and scraping the hell out of all of my limbs) but i'm not sure if i want to do it again.

I'm confused by the fact I've essentially been in the real world for 2.5 years now. I don't know how I've cobbled together work for that long.

Pretty sure if I ever do a camping festival it'd be one of those ATP ones at a proper holiday park. And I really don't see the appeal in traipsing around in mud, which seems to be the main theme of your average Australian camping festival. I traipsed around in enough mud on Stewart Island last month to last me a good long time. The shoes I wore are still probably in shock.

I'm confused by the fact I've essentially been in the real world for 2.5 years now. I don't know how I've cobbled together work for that long.

Pretty sure if I ever do a camping festival it'd be one of those ATP ones at a proper holiday park. And I really don't see the appeal in traipsing around in mud, which seems to be the main theme of your average Australian camping festival. I traipsed around in enough mud on Stewart Island last month to last me a good long time. The shoes I wore are still probably in shock.
:lol: i know what you mean, it still kinda shocks me that you're not in university anymore either.

oh yeah, this festival was at a camping ground. plus we were at an actual campsite at night, we just didn't have an rv and thus could only use tents. but if we'd had stuff for it, we could've made use of the electricity and water hook-ups. heck, some people just slept on the ground out by the music/dancing tent. especially since it was so cold, i don't know how they did it. i'm pretty proud of myself for not getting sick either.

I like that I managed to leave university by... staying at the university.

Goddamn students, get off my campus. I'm trying to work here. Universities are like the public transport network that runs perfectly to time without any damn passengers to delay services.

I'm taking about seven different vitamin and mineral supplements and I feel physically the healthiest I have in a while.

It could be that "seriously, drink a lot less" thing my doctor bitches about.

But honestly it could be either.

I like that I managed to leave university by... staying at the university.

LOL.

I like that when I left school I was adamant I wouldn't be back in one ever (I wasn't expecting the life/relationships thing to happen for me so no children to deal with, although I'm as far away from that now as I was then!) and now my career goal is to end up back in a school.

If anything my disdain for school has only increased with time. Shame too, because if I ever decided academia was a worthless crapshoot and wanted to teach high school, well, one guy I know who recently finished his PhD just walked into a very cushy job in the teaching sector (it helps he also has teaching qualifications, but there are bridging courses that wouldn't take too long).

Instead I'm thinking of applying for a postdoc in Armidale, NSW. Look it up if you don't know where it is. You'll quickly realise why I'm hesitating.

I'm taking about seven different vitamin and mineral supplements and I feel physically the healthiest I have in a while.

It could be that "seriously, drink a lot less" thing my doctor bitches about.

But honestly it could be either.

I feel pretty good thanks to my running. Now there's a sentence I never thought I'd type.

And I'm still drinking like a fucking fish, so there. (Well OK, I'm reining that in.)

Also can I just say, some women are just impossible to get a read on. I currently have exactly no idea where I stand with my ex right now. Whether she's interested in trying again, whether we're friends, whether we're just both being stupid, or what the hell.

Actually fucked if I know. And no, I will not be asking.

So basically Armidale is kinda like Champaign, IL.

More like middle of fucking nowhere, Montana. At least you can get to Chicago from Champaign.

Nobody will ever tour Armidale, so if I want to go to a gig I'd need to fly to Sydney or do an all-day train trip. This is my main consideration here.

I probably could've said Traverse City, MI. though people actually travel there, apparently.

actually Champaign is excruciatingly inconvenient.

More like middle of fucking nowhere, Montana. At least you can get to Chicago from Champaign.

Nobody will ever tour Armidale, so if I want to go to a gig I'd need to fly to Sydney or do an all-day train trip. This is my main consideration here.

well hearing that I'm convinced that Armidale is more like Paris, IL

I once had the misfortune to see Kasey Chambers. It was for a good cause, Sound Relief, but never again.

Kasey_Chambers.jpg

I thought my monitor was tilted wrong. Then I adjusted the brightness and contrast.

Still can't work out what fucking colour she is in this photo. I think it's green?

OK I probably shouldn't have posted in FYM last night after seven pints.

Oh there was only one. But I called America a retrograde country of reprobates. Probably didn't win anybody over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom