Star Wars Ep. 4,5,6, Vs The Lord of the Rings Trilogy - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Star Wars Ep. 4,5,6, Vs The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Star Wars Ep. 4,5,6 33 57.89%
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy 22 38.60%
Both Suck, I think............................ 2 3.51%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-02-2007, 02:33 PM   #76
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by elevated_u2_fan

along with Airplane II (better than the original IMO)
It's good and has Shatner, but I still like the original more.

X-2: X-Men United was an amazing sequel, as was Back to the Future Part II and Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan.

Old 05-02-2007, 02:44 PM   #77
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 05:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto

It's good and has Shatner, but I still like the original more.

X-2: X-Men United was an amazing sequel, as was Back to the Future Part II and Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan.
It is kind of sad how had bad X-Men 3 and Star Trek 3 were considering the direction both films could have taken. That's probably the biggest knock on Return Of The Jedi. There was so much potential in it that was never seen.

Old 05-02-2007, 02:51 PM   #78
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:44 AM
The Search for Spock was a solid movie, but is bad compared to the bookends of that 3 movie story arc: Wrath of Khan and The Voyage Home.

A Bryan Singer X-Men 3 would've been the shit, instead we got an amazing reboot of the Superman series. Win-win.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:44 PM   #79
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:44 AM
There's also one major flaw in logic here as well. The LOTR novels don't mean shit in this debate. This is about the films through and through and only the films.

But aaaaaaanyway. A Bryan Singer X-Men 3 would NOT have been shit. Instead we got a terrible X-Men sequel and a completely disappointing Superman reboot.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:02 PM   #80
War Child

Local Time: 10:44 AM
I have tried on more than one occasion to stay awake during the Lord of the Rings films.

I haven't pulled it off yet. Everybody in my family hates me for it.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:07 PM   #81
ONE
love, blood, life

The LOTR trilogy were so awesome on the big screen. At home, I could fall asleep to them.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:11 PM   #82
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:44 AM
maybe you need a 42" plasma screen and a surround system.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:40 PM   #83
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

I was going to make this point earlier but there is a fundamental flaw in your logic here... Without LOTR (the books) there would probably be no Star Wars.

Really? I have never seen an interview where Lucas has mentioned LOTR as any type of inspiration for Star Wars. I'm not saying you are wrong because certainly I havent seen every interview or read every word Lucas has said about the subject. Do you have a specific interview or book where he said that as I'm curious?

What I have read or heard Lucas say is that his inspiration for Star Wars was Flash Gordon and the Saturday afternoon serials that played at theaters when he was a kid (where he got the inspiration for Indiana Jones also). I know he looked into mythology, etc. while writing the screenplay. But he had the basic story in his head, he used historical and mythological stuff for the details in the story which might explain some similarities but not the story itself. But I havent ever seen him mention LOTR specifically.

Peter Jackson has however said that Star Wars and what Lucas had done was one of his inspirations to make a BIG movie like LOTR. He said it in the TV tribute they did for Lucas. Of course maybe he was just saying that for the special. But I dont think so.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:29 PM   #84
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc
There's also one major flaw in logic here as well. The LOTR novels don't mean shit in this debate. This is about the films through and through and only the films.

They do mean something big in my opinion, because it's the fact that the movies don't live up to my visions from the books that made me choose Star Wars.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:01 AM   #85
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:44 PM
Why the trilogy of Lord of The Rings of course! So long as you take LOTR trilogy movies at face value and forget about the actual books they're based on. Coz it's an almost impossible job to reproduce the books in their entirerity into movie format, I mean the movies as they are are all over 3 hours long or more!! But I think Peter Jackson did an amazing job of keeping true to the essence of JRR Tolkien vision of Middle Earth and even though I love the Star Wars trilogy too but LOTR is far suprieor in every way!
Old 05-03-2007, 05:07 AM   #86
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:44 AM
LoTR films trump Star Wars for me on virtually every level. I've never been that much into Star Wars - I first watched the trilogy when I was 16 or so and while I liked it I didn't love it. I didn't much like LoTR books either but I absolutely adore the films. Fantasy/epic films are so very, very hard to do right and Peter Jackson did a spectacular job IMO.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:12 AM   #87
Blue Crack Addict

http://www.spookybug.com/origins/lotr.html
Old 05-03-2007, 08:16 AM   #88
Refugee

It's Star Wars for me. I do love LOTR but nothing will beat watching Star Wars: A New Hope on the big screen when it came out when I was 7 years old.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:19 AM   #89
Refugee

http://www.randomescape.com/RandomLink5_03_07.htm

This might run a close second.

Chewbroccoli
Old 05-03-2007, 09:55 AM   #90
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

I was going to make this point earlier but there is a fundamental flaw in your logic here... Without LOTR (the books) there would probably be no Star Wars.

On the movie side, I agree that LOTR would probably not exist without SW blazing the trail in terms of special effects and CG (especially with the dreaded special editions and Episode I).

In terms of story however, the archetype characters of Luke, Han, Obi Wan, Vader, Lea, etc all have roots in LOTR. Now, I'm not going to totally praise Tolkien here either since he pretty much lifted a great deal from early mythologies such a Beowulf and King Arthur but I look at him and Lucas as two peas in a pod; they both reinvented a classic tale for a new generation in an accessible manner.
Well, if there is a flaw in my logic there is in yours as well - as you say, the characters and story of Star Wars is that of mythical archetypes. The LOTR books really doesn't mean anything for Star Wars, the greatest influence is probably Flash Gordon, along with Kurosawa probably.

And what I mean by Star Wars leading the way for LOTR is not just CG, it's risk. Epic moviemaking had been dead since the early 60's, and those were historical films. Nobody had ever put such a huge budget in fantasy filmmaking. Star Wars is probably the most influential film in American filmmaking since Citizen Kane or some of Hitchcock's films.