Star Wars Ep. 4,5,6, Vs The Lord of the Rings Trilogy - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Star Wars Ep. 4,5,6, Vs The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Star Wars Ep. 4,5,6 33 57.89%
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy 22 38.60%
Both Suck, I think............................ 2 3.51%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-01-2007, 11:02 PM   #61
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:30 AM
I won't lie - I was so excited for The Phanton Menace, and even the next one. I won't lie again - I really liked them at first. There was really nothing like sitting in a big theater with a couple hundred other people who'd grown up with the Star Wars movies erupting in cheers and applause when the first images came on the screen.

It was only upon further reflection and viewings that I realized they kinda sucked. But it was fun to go see them. And they each had their moments (none of which involved JarJar Binks).

I mean, come on ... Liam Neeson and Ewan MacGregor? They got points just for that.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:54 PM   #62
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2

I meant that the feel, look and theme of Star Wars was around in the form of everything from Flash Gordon to Lost In Space. I should have made that clearer.
Ah, ok. Yes, Lucas was definitely inspired by those old flicks.

But he still came up with Star Wars all on his own. LOTR has been around long before the movies.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:09 AM   #63
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:
Originally posted by phanan

Ah, ok. Yes, Lucas was definitely inspired by those old flicks.

But he still came up with Star Wars all on his own. LOTR has been around long before the movies.
But LOTR has a completly unique feel and doesn't feel like the books at all. Star Wars on the other hand just feels like another cheap science fiction show with the exception of Empire. Taking inspiration isn't back, I just have a hard time excepting that something as unique and beautiful as LOTR could be less than a film that could get lost in similar movies. There are no movies similar to LOTR.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:29 AM   #64
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
I won't lie - I was so excited for The Phanton Menace, and even the next one. I won't lie again - I really liked them at first. There was really nothing like sitting in a big theater with a couple hundred other people who'd grown up with the Star Wars movies erupting in cheers and applause when the first images came on the screen.

It was only upon further reflection and viewings that I realized they kinda sucked. But it was fun to go see them. And they each had their moments (none of which involved JarJar Binks).
My brother was one of those guys who waited in line to see it at midnight when it opened. He got real excited too, then said how he covered his face and sunk lower and lower in his seat as TPM got worse and worse. I hadn't seen it since the theater and I rented it a few weeks ago. It's a BAD movie. But I am not a prequel basher and I get real annoyed with all those purists who bitch that Lucas 'ruined' the saga with them.

ROTS was worthy of the saga, but it gave me a completely different view of Vader than I got from the old movies. A BETTER one, one that made me feel sorry for him instead of hating him. Before I'd thought he was just some asshole who ditched his wife and babies of his own free will to go with the Emperor. Now I can't ever feel the same way about Anakin, all I can see is this pitiful hot guy crying and worrying about his wife, and getting duped by a mean old man.

Quote:
I mean, come on ... Liam Neeson and Ewan MacGregor? They got points just for that.
Yeah
Old 05-02-2007, 08:12 AM   #65
Refugee

Local Time: 03:30 AM
Old 05-02-2007, 08:43 AM   #66
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Man

well, this poll is star wars vs. lotr. not sure why you need to have seen gone with the wind in order to compare these two.
Don't ever watch Gone With The Wind, whatsoever

What I mean is the more movies you see, the easier it is to seperate the bad from the good ones. Like now, for instance.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:49 AM   #67
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2

But LOTR has a completly unique feel and doesn't feel like the books at all. Star Wars on the other hand just feels like another cheap science fiction show with the exception of Empire. Taking inspiration isn't back, I just have a hard time excepting that something as unique and beautiful as LOTR could be less than a film that could get lost in similar movies. There are no movies similar to LOTR.

LOTR is one of many adaptations, one of many epic movie trilogies, and it should be noted that without Star Wars, the LOTR movies would never have been made.

Nothing is special about LOTR except for the story, which was what secured its success.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:26 AM   #68
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by God Part III

LOTR is one of many adaptations, one of many epic movie trilogies, and it should be noted that without Star Wars, the LOTR movies would never have been made.

Nothing is special about LOTR except for the story, which was what secured its success.
I was going to make this point earlier but there is a fundamental flaw in your logic here... Without LOTR (the books) there would probably be no Star Wars.

On the movie side, I agree that LOTR would probably not exist without SW blazing the trail in terms of special effects and CG (especially with the dreaded special editions and Episode I).

In terms of story however, the archetype characters of Luke, Han, Obi Wan, Vader, Lea, etc all have roots in LOTR. Now, I'm not going to totally praise Tolkien here either since he pretty much lifted a great deal from early mythologies such a Beowulf and King Arthur but I look at him and Lucas as two peas in a pod; they both reinvented a classic tale for a new generation in an accessible manner.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:49 AM   #69
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:
Originally posted by God Part III

All films are basically adaptions in the sense that one is putting a vision that is confined to words and illustrations to film. It is what you do with it that determines how good the movie is. LOTR was just words on a page, basically colorless and mute. What Peter Jackson did was turn those words into a world that you could live in and touch. Middle Earth has a feel like no other place in film history.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:32 AM   #70
Blue Crack Addict

"The Empire Strikes Back, and Terminator 2 are the best sequels ever" - right after Godfather part II.

It took time to make LOTR because the effects weren't evolved enough, and there was nobody around to try and take on such a famous story. I enjoy both trilogies and both are in my top movies - I watched the DVDs of LOTR movies last week and I thought "this must be what S. Wars must have felt like". Maybe a slight nudge to S. Wars for the s. effects impact and the pop-culture significance.

I will say that LOTR is probably the first major movie trilogy I can think of (S. Wars, Godfather...) where a certain episode isn't significantly weaker than the previous ones, even if that is due to the awesome source. As a book fan I do wish certain stuff was done differently (Gimli, Faramir and leaving out Scouring of the Shire) and the last movie had too many endings, but I disagree with the purists that disliked the films. It is, after all, an adaptation and an interpretation, not a straight re-telling of the story page by page. I never saw the alleged homosexualness of hobbits or elves.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:50 AM   #71
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by fly so high!
Old 05-02-2007, 12:04 PM   #72
The Fly

Local Time: 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by elevated_u2_fan

I was going to make this point earlier but there is a fundamental flaw in your logic here... Without LOTR (the books) there would probably be no Star Wars.
QFT.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:25 PM   #73
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:30 PM
Books schmooks; books are for losers. just like reading.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:23 PM   #74
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:30 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl
"The Empire Strikes Back, and Terminator 2 are the best sequels ever" - right after Godfather part II.
What about Aliens? Huh? Huh? Huh? It's in the Top 5.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:30 PM   #75
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto

What about Aliens? Huh? Huh? Huh? It's in the Top 5.
along with Airplane II (better than the original IMO)