Springsteen VII ~ Wrecking Ball

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
you may just want to buy 3 or 4 songs

go to the site I listed, I just listened to the whole album

here is the best review anyone can have on the 11 songs available there:

1. 3/5 we take care of our own - written to pander to right wing fan base
2. 1/5 easy money - boring, trite , whooping and yelling, is this a ho-down , and one more red dress
3. 0/5 shackled and drawn - WTF? easy money redux, just more whooping and yelling, this is a ho-down
4. 4/5 jack of all trades - sounds like a Tom Waits song, an artist than also began in the 70s but has managed to remain legit
5. 3/5 death in my hometown - catchy little diddy
6. 2/5 this depression - blah, yawn, more boring
7. 4/5 wrecking ball - well written and delivered, should have called it 'your wrecking ball' as 'wrecking ball' is a more brilliant and haunting song written by Neil Young
8. 2/5 you've got it - for the fan that hangs on every word, breath and not much here, just filler
9. 1/5 rocky ground - over produced, gospel, rap, mess. Not really a horrible song, you just can rate it as a Springsteen song.
10. 4.5/5 land of hope and dreams - this sounds like the real Springsteen, early to mid 80s, some of the same references, and borrowed lyrics, and yes I heard the big man
11. 4/5 we are alive - a well written song, it rates high on the lyrics alone, I hope someone else covers it and leaves the clapping, ring of fire and corny crap out

I don't care. I go back to when I first heard Hungry Heart on the radio back in 1980, and I think that opinion is garbage, in all honesty.

70's era Bruce ain't coming back, just like 80's U2 won't. Artists change and evolve over time - doesn't mean they don't release quality music anymore.

I think the PopMatters review was right on.

so is this album actually worth checking it out?

Yeah.

It's far from perfect, but it's his most interesting and vital album since The Rising.

Without including the 5 star Rolling Stone review, this already has an 80 on metacritic.

I see a special edition listed on Amazon that has two bonus tracks, but I don't see a regular version of the CD to compare it to. What are the bonus tracks?

The bonus tracks are listed on Wiki as "Swallowed Up (In The Belly Of A Whale)" and "American Land."

I haven't heard either song. Although, I don't think Bruce would last very long in the belly of a whale. Wouldn't he just punch his way through the whale's stomach with his bare fists? Or start tickling the whale with his Fender Telecaster until the whale laughs and spits him out? Or would he sing an old church hymn until the whale achieved a relaxed, contented state that would allow him to just slide out of there?

Yeah.

It's far from perfect, but it's his most interesting and vital album since The Rising.

That's pretty high praise to me, as I love both Devils & Dust and Magic. If it's stronger than both of those, I will be damn happy.

if you go to the site you can take an hour and listen to the whole album, I did

also, there are :heart: (likes) beside each song, they tend to agree with about 75% of those song ratings. again it has some decent to good songs, but it is hardly a 5/5

L A Times gave it 2 1/2 :shrug:

I wouldn't say it's a 5/5, but a 4/5 sounds about right.

I'll bet most of those ratings are from people over at Backstreets, which is a terrible forum, filled mostly of idiots who can't bear to see Springsteen change at any given time (there's also a small percentage who are complete homers and think every single thing he's done is pure gold). He's doing a folk album? It sucks. He's doing a Seeger-inspired album with no E Street? Fuck him. A song with rap in it? The horror.

And I think some of these old time reviewers are the same way, sadly.

deep said:
if you go to the site you can take an hour and listen to the whole album, I did

also, there are :heart: (likes) beside each song, they tend to agree with about 75% of those song ratings. again it has some decent to good songs, but it is hardly a 5/5

L A Times gave it 2 1/2 :shrug:

The good thing about opinions is that they aren't facts.

Back
Top Bottom