Smiths: Hall of Fame caliber?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Layton

War Child
I think the Smiths due for Hall of Fame nomination in the next few years. So, I was wondering what the congregation here thinks about their worthiness. A simple yes or no is fine to this question. Do the Smiths belong in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

Oh dear....do you know my answer to this? Hall of fame for what? Creating boring, uninspiring, drab and depressing music. Give me a break there are far more worthy bands out there than The Smiths, in fact there are probably a million and one acts that should go in before The Smiths!:wink:

Simple answer: Yes.

Still simple, but not as short of an answer: Of course they should be admitted. The amount of artists and people in general out there who have been influenced by the work of The Smiths is almost unmeasurable. The Smiths are certainly a band that will be, and absolutely deserves to be, given this kind of recognition. (not that they need it in any way)

Numb1075 said:
Creating boring, uninspiring, drab and depressing music?????

Perhaps.....but no one did it better

Yep if ever I want a song to commit suicide to, then The Smiths would be right up there with Morrisey's depressing and whining voice!:wink:

well, if people REALLY feel compelled to slit their wrists while listening to a certain artist, then the listener might have some screws lose. I've listened to The Smiths and Morrissey a gazillion times and haven't thought about slitting my wrists.

you can admit the smiths to the hall of fame, but none of them will show up (ok maybe rourke and joyce may turn up, only cause they need the attention)

by the way, they should definatly be in:wink:

burns said:
you can admit the smiths to the hall of fame, but none of them will show up (ok maybe rourke and joyce may turn up, only cause they need the attention)

:laugh:

i'm surprised their worthiness is even up for debate.

anyway, mofo pretty much nailed it. :up:

there is a light that never goes out... :drool:

Definately.

And how can The Smiths be ragged on for making depressing music when other well-respected acts like...oh, I don't know...say RADIOHEAD do the exact same thing? :wink:

But yes, The Smiths are great.

XHendrix24 said:
Definately.

And how can The Smiths be ragged on for making depressing music when other well-respected acts like...oh, I don't know...say RADIOHEAD do the exact same thing? :wink:

But yes, The Smiths are great.

Don't even compare The Smiths to Radiohead. Radioheads music may have a down feel to it but I would describe it as brilliantly crafted and beautiful music. The Smiths errrrrrr they made crap music!:wink:

Hell yeah, they should be inducted! They probably never will be though because most people in the U.S. except for music geeks don't even know who they are. :|

rjhbonovox said:

Don't even compare The Smiths to Radiohead. Radioheads music may have a down feel to it but I would describe it as brilliantly crafted and beautiful music. The Smiths errrrrrr they made crap music!:wink:

So does it change your opinion on Radiohead considering they pretty much ALWAYS name drop The Smiths as their favorite band/the band who most inspired their work. Crap, they've even admitted that 'Knives Out' was nothing more than them attempting to make a 'Smiths song'.

That being said, I wouldnt ever say that The Smiths are a "depressing band". They're much like The Cure in this aspect, it's a fairly ignorant generalization which seems to act like a good majority of both bands work doesnt exist. Yes, they do have a lot of "moody" songs, but they also have a lot of the opposite.

I like music.

they deserve it, but it's not gonna happen. the r&r hall of fame is completely clueless. they've failed to induct black sabbath and the sex pistols (among others) yet they've inducted all the beatles (save poor ringo) separately for their respective godawful solo careers. its a meaningless honor anyway, fuck all the aging out-of-touch twats who do the selection.

bollox said:
they deserve it, but it's not gonna happen.

Question ....should The Smiths being inducted in the hall of fame?
Answer.......I think your username answers the question perfectly!

Yes. Smiths :rockon:.

[edit:] Actually that smiley probably isn't appropriate to The Smiths :sad: may be better.

[edit:] Actually even that one may not be accurate... how about :slitting wrists whilst hanging themself smiley:

:yes: !!!!!!! The Smiths deserve it if for no other reason than "How Soon is Now?". :drool: :drool:

(By the way, since I'm in the States & not only know who The Smiths are, but also own several of their albums & some of Morrisey's solo work -- does that mean I'm a music geek??? And why does the prospect of being a music geek make me extremely giddy??? :happy: :laugh: )

Last edited:
Without doubt,one of the most origional bands ever.I thought Johnny marrs guitar playing was very jubilant and Moz's lyrics very witty and not depressing at all.I was lucky enough to see them live in middlesbrough on the queen is dead tour when i was 13 and they were incredible.Should without doubt be inducted.

Back
Top Bottom