Smackover, Arkansas Superthread - Page 22 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2008, 09:08 AM   #316
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 10:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisaura View Post
I'm just reading about the period when printing was invented, and how the English government was trying to establish a standardised spelling and everything... Imagine petty bureaucrats having the power to determine how we're spelling everything today!
Actually, I'd be down with that. I like how some languages have central authorities to determine how the language is spelt. Then we might actually avoid the US English bullshit officially, rather than having to just assert the Oxford English Dictionary as definitive.

Quote:
Also, feel free to send me some of that Tuareg stuff, Ax...
If we're serious about doing a Phail recording session sometime soon, just bring over your MP3 player and plug it into my computer and I can give you stacks of music.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-03-2008, 09:08 AM   #317
Blue Crack Supplier

Also, belated hello to blueeyedgirl

Old 07-03-2008, 09:10 AM   #318
Vocal parasite

Quote:
I think it might be a leftover from shorthand, like I also think '&' is... and most people don't object if you use '&', although it would be a bit odd.

I know I was using @ and & and that other squiggle that means "with" a lot when I was taking notes at uni.
I actually find @ takes longer to write by hand than 'at' does, and half the time it comes out so badly that I'm not sure entirely what it is.

I have been known to use & in my university notes on occasion, but it well and truly precedes Internet/text speak, so I can happily rationalise it that way.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-03-2008, 09:12 AM   #319
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:52 PM
Quote:
Also, belated hello to blueeyedgirl
Heya!

However I may be going soon, work tomorrow, blah.

I used to like reading hte journals here, now these new blogs suck. And the contents of some suck too.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:13 AM   #320
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyedgirl View Post
I used to like reading hte journals here, now these new blogs suck. And the contents of some suck too.
I can't say I paid attention to them either before or after the site upgrade. How do they differ now?

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-03-2008, 09:16 AM   #321
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Actually, I'd be down with that. I like how some languages have central authorities to determine how the language is spelt. Then we might actually avoid the US English bullshit officially, rather than having to just assert the Oxford English Dictionary as definitive.
It just blows my mind, though, that some anonymous guy in the 15th century had to figure out which of 500 possible spellings was going to be the standard, definitive, "correct" way of spelling "through", for instance, and that would be that for the rest of time. This one guy's decision determining the scores of millions of future school childrens' spelling tests...

And to be fair to the Americans, I think this book told me that they set about actually making a dictionary with standardised spellings and definitions before the English themselves did. The bit I'm reading now is just the beginnings of English being used as the official language of state, as opposed to French (which had been the case since the Norman invasion of 1066, all the way through until Henry V's time in the 1400s). So these clerks in London had to start spelling all the official documents the same way, but there wasn't a dictionary then, as such.

And if you think US spelling is weird the way it is now, it would have been a million times worse if Benjamin Franklin had got his way.

Quote:
If we're serious about doing a Phail recording session sometime soon, just bring over your MP3 player and plug it into my computer and I can give you stacks of music.
That's right, I remember you said that before.

Must remember to empty said mp3 player before we do that...
Old 07-03-2008, 09:16 AM   #322
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:22 AM
You guys move... Oh, forget it.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:19 AM   #323
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I actually find @ takes longer to write by hand than 'at' does, and half the time it comes out so badly that I'm not sure entirely what it is.

I have been known to use & in my university notes on occasion, but it well and truly precedes Internet/text speak, so I can happily rationalise it that way.
I am quite sure that @ existed before the internet... it's on my mum's antique typewriter, I'm sure of it!
Old 07-03-2008, 09:19 AM   #324
Vocal parasite

Hey, folks, I'm proud of myself. Right now, I'm uploading a batch of nine photos. NONE of them are of trains or trams.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-03-2008, 09:20 AM   #325
Blue Crack Supplier

Hi LMPA...
Old 07-03-2008, 09:20 AM   #326
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Hey, folks, I'm proud of myself. Right now, I'm uploading a batch of nine photos. NONE of them are of trains or trams.

You got a fever or something??
Old 07-03-2008, 09:20 AM   #327
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:22 AM
Quote:
It just blows my mind, though, that some anonymous guy in the 15th century had to figure out which of 500 possible spellings was going to be the standard, definitive, "correct" way of spelling "through", for instance, and that would be that for the rest of time. This one guy's decision determining the scores of millions of future school childrens' spelling tests...

And to be fair to the Americans, I think this book told me that they set about actually making a dictionary with standardised spellings and definitions before the English themselves did. The bit I'm reading now is just the beginnings of English being used as the official language of state, as opposed to French (which had been the case since the Norman invasion of 1066, all the way through until Henry V's time in the 1400s). So these clerks in London had to start spelling all the official documents the same way, but there wasn't a dictionary then, as such.

And if you think US spelling is weird the way it is now, it would have been a million times worse if Benjamin Franklin had got his way.

i just wanna say i like this post. sorry i got distracted by other parts of the internet.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:23 AM   #328
Vocal parasite

Quote:

Are you reading that Journey of English book, or whatever it's called? I enjoyed reading that, though I think it was a bit kind to American English and I felt its coverage beyond the UK and US was weak and superficial. And yeah, Benjamin Franklin's ideas were just a bit insane. I think the main problem with US English right now is that it is so similar to standard English - if it would just hurry up and diverge into its own dialect, then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

And that kind of job would be a nice power trip for a bureaucrat, huh?

I'll have to get in touch with U-Wen and see when would be a good time with him for a Phail session.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-03-2008, 09:24 AM   #329
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:52 PM
Quote:
I can't say I paid attention to them either before or after the site upgrade. How do they differ now?
You used to be able to scroll down a long list and see everyone's name and see the topic title and be able to pick and choose what to read quite easily. NOw you can see about only about 10 and the first one is open in full, which is OK if it's interesting, and not OK if someone is having some existential crisis...

Gah, it's telling me to go to bed, see ya folks!
Old 07-03-2008, 09:25 AM   #330
Vocal parasite

Evening, April!

Quote:

You got a fever or something??
To be fair, they were taken while on a train photographing expedition. They're from the Moonee Ponds Creek Trail, at the city end by the Tullamarine Freeway. A few of that Southern Star Observation Wheel (what a dumb name).

Gig pictures | Blog

Tags
superthread