Shuttlecock X: Cobbler gets on stage and forces U2 into a medley of Outkast covers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My battery is low, but I'll just say this: I've been critical of their setlist choices, but I will no longer do that. I had so much fun tonight, I didn't care what they played.

Also, I thought the warhorses sounded better than on previous tours. With or Without You, in particular, sounded fresh to my ears, and I've disliked every version since Elevation.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using U2 Interference mobile app

I had a great time there too. It's clear that once you're there, the setlist doesn't matter all that much. I would be complaining here it about Elevation-> OL, live I take whatever they give me. Elevation was fun. OL wasn't unexpected given Mandela's birthday. I think they felt bad for those two songs and gave us full October as a prize. I really love this song.

Positives:
The opening 4 songs are so great. This wasn't the first time I heard Electric Co - got it during Vertigo - but it sounded so fucking amazing.
Out of the new songs, Cedarwood and Raised By Wolves were my favorites. RBW rocked much harder than I expected.
SHINE LIKE FUCKING STARS.
The stage setup was great for GA. I was very close to the main stage until the intermission, then very close to e-stage for the second part, and stayed back for the encores.

Negatives:
The old warhorses were a mixed bag, but in a surprising way. The stuff that I thought would be boring was actually okay - Pride and WOWY. But Streets was somewhat underwhelming. The thing about the warhorses is that the crowd just loves them so much.
Bullet is so misplaced. It just doesn't work there.
What's wrong with EBTTRT? It doesn't sound right; it lacks some energy.
I miss the slide solo in MW.
Didn't get to meet BoMac. Hopefully in one of the other shows.

I might go back tomorrow depending on whether I find tickets. We'll see. And then the final 6.

We just got a douchebag wave from NSW.

Oh, you did get a wave. And MAYA got a little more...if you know what I mean......(a brief chat).

2 things, well, 3 things:

1 - OCTOBER

2 - CHRIST, THE ELECTRIC CO

3 - FUCK YES

Positives:
The opening 4 songs are so great. This wasn't the first time I heard Electric Co - got it during Vertigo - but it sounded so fucking amazing.
Out of the new songs, Cedarwood and Raised By Wolves were my favorites. RBW rocked much harder than I expected.
SHINE LIKE FUCKING STARS.
The stage setup was great for GA. I was very close to the main stage until the intermission, then very close to e-stage for the second part, and stayed back for the encores.

Negatives:
The old warhorses were a mixed bag, but in a surprising way. The stuff that I thought would be boring was actually okay - Pride and WOWY. But Streets was somewhat underwhelming. The thing about the warhorses is that the crowd just loves them so much.
Bullet is so misplaced. It just doesn't work there.
What's wrong with EBTTRT? It doesn't sound right; it lacks some energy.
I miss the slide solo in MW.
Didn't get to meet BoMac. Hopefully in one of the other shows.

I might go back tomorrow depending on whether I find tickets. We'll see. And then the final 6.

If I had to rank the warhorses:

Really Fresh

Bullet the Blue Sky
Until the End of the World
Electric Co.
With Or Without You

Fresh

Pride
Vertigo
Beautiful Day
City of Blinding Lights
I Will Follow
Sunday Bloody Sunday

Doing OK but not setting the world on fire

Mysterious Ways (has sounded better in the last few shows at least)
Even Better Than the Real Thing (feels like Miss Sarajevo did on 360 after it played a majority of shows on Vertigo)
Where The Streets Have No Name
One (I know I know I haven't seen it in person yet so I can't judge)

Last edited:
Can't fucking believe they did October.

Makes sense before EBW but can we please have October/NYD? EBW/October/NYD/COBL would work well.

Did they play October because the rumored Mr. November was rumored to be in attendance ?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Very nice to see and hear October back. Beautiful song.

The thing was that it was totally unplanned. Bono leaned in and asked Edge if he remembers how to play October, and Edge nodded.

Mm.. Not sure about that. There was a spoiler with the setlist before the show that had October on it, so I hear. That doesn't mean he didn't still ask, or that maybe they were a little nervous to do it, but it wasn't unplanned.

Mm.. Not sure about that. There was a spoiler with the setlist before the show that had October on it, so I hear. That doesn't mean he didn't still ask, or that maybe they were a little nervous to do it, but it wasn't unplanned.

That could be. This was literally right in front of us, so from our vantage point, that's what we saw happen. Maybe it was something along the lines of "When we get to that point, let me know how you feel, and if you still want to, we'll play it."

That just sounds like Bono being Bono.

There's no way he would know the lyrics if they didn't rehearse it beforehand.

Yeah, there's no way they both were able to pull it off spontaneously without a hitch after a 26-year gap.

I was close to the e-stage as well, and was very surprised when I read that October was listed in the printed set. There was definitely a conversation between Bono and Edge just before, and it looked like an audible at the time. Maybe the question was whether to play it in full (piano section then vocal section).

On the lyrics: there are probably fewer than 20 words in the entire song. He's bad, but not that bad.

Back
Top Bottom