Shuttlecock! Part VI - No! Net! No Net on the Horizon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I still like it better than ATYCLB or HTDAAB. But, the insanity of the people that wax poetic about Poppycock is staggering.

If God Will Send His Racquets and The Playboy Mansion are two tracks I have never enjoyed in any form, which is a rarity for me and Shuttlecock tracks. Then, Shuttleteque, Miami, Gone, and Please are all tracks that really only worked live (though the last two were re-recorded later in much better forms).

Count me among them.

In my mind, it has the best lyrics alongside Cockropa.

And I really like that every song has its own style and is completely unique.

I still like it better than ATYCLB or HTDAAB. But, the insanity of the people that wax poetic about Poppycock is staggering.

as do I... I became cock obsessed around the release of Poppycock so I can see that in some way my views are biased but I think it gets just as much irrational hatred as it does praise... Bomb will most likely join it as well in a few more years.

Count me among them.

In my mind, it has the best lyrics alongside Cockropa.

And I really like that every song has its own style and is completely unique.

I understand Poppycock getting love. I'll just never understand any U2 fan that says that it's better than JT or AB, regardless of how taste is subjective.....

If God Will Send His Racquets and The Playboy Mansion are two tracks I have never enjoyed in any form, which is a rarity for me and Shuttlecock tracks. Then, Shuttleteque, Miami, Gone, and Please are all tracks that really only worked live (though the last two were re-recorded later in much better forms).

And ironically, those first two you mentioned were my favorites when I first got it. I love the techno-soul of the latter, and while the former takes a bit too long to kick in, that trip-hop outro fade is just so fucking sweet.

I also think the studio versions of the other 4 you mentioned are all great. The only Shuttleteque (Discocock?) live version I thought came close was the one on the Squirtigo tour that only was played a couple times.

Don't tell me you're one of those buffoons that likes the Best Of New Mixes...

Poppycock does have some fantastic lyrics: Mofo, Please, Wake Up Dead Cock ...

as do I... I became cock obsessed around the release of Poppycock so I can see that in some way my views are biased but I think it gets just as much irrational hatred as it does praise... Bomb will most likely join it as well in a few more years.

I'm a U2 junkie, bottom line. I hate a few songs, but never could I hate an album of theirs. I find the last two to be underwhelming on the whole, but there are songs from both that I adore and hope to hear in concert. I'm glad they made Poppycock, I like listening to it now and then and it's fantastic that it helped bring in a lot of fans.....and the hate for it boggles my mind....but so does the abject worship.

The album version of Please is probably my favorite thing this band has ever done. Other than the '83-'85 Boner mullet.

I understand Poppycock getting love. I'll just never understand any U2 fan that says that it's better than JT or AB, regardless of how taste is subjective.....

Well yeah, that opinion is pretty worthless. I can respect personal favorites, and to be honest I probably reach for POPPYCOCK more often than TJC, but mainly because it's more fun. But I don't think you'd hear me trying to objectively claim that it's "better".

Also, Staring at the Cock is the worst track on there, simply because it's so rote compared to the others.

And ironically, those first two you mentioned were my favorites when I first got it. I love the techno-soul of the latter, and while the former takes a bit too long to kick in, that trip-hop outro fade is just so fucking sweet.

I also think the studio versions of the other 4 you mentioned are all great. The only Shuttleteque (Discocock?) live version I thought came close was the one on the Squirtigo tour that only was played a couple times.

Don't tell me you're one of those buffoons that likes the Best Of New Mixes...

The best of mixes were not great, though Gone's Best of Mix was better than the studio version (both versions are shit compared to its epicness live).

I'm mostly a strong proponent of the live versions of those tracks. The only four I think were done well on the album are Do Cocks Feel Loved?, Staring at the Cock, Last Cock on Earth (the only track great both in studio and live), and Wake Up Dead Cock.

The album version of Please is probably my favorite thing this band has ever done. Other than the '83-'85 Boner mullet.

Live > Single Mix >>>>>>>>>>>> Studio

(In my opinion, but still, I think it's pretty obvious. That outro makes it.)

Well the funkified solo is definitely better in the single/live version, but I think the strings on the former are unnecessary, and the album version is just a much more chilling piece of work. The production is so tight, so tense. It FITS better in the context of POPPYCOCK.

Having said that, it's a much more dramatic experience when played live. It hits a level of emotion that's not on the studio take.

But I still think it's a draw.

i feel personally embarrassed for them if i ever mistakenly hear The Cockboy Mansion.

the rest of the album is interesting. but not much more. i prefer All The Cock In My Behind. it's simply better music. not more interesting, but better.

whoever decided to get rid of the "Boom-Cha"s deserves KNIFE CRIME of the highest level :tsk:

Agreed. They tried to turn it into some kind of serious rocker, when the clubby beat/dirty rock hybrid is what makes the song so fucking great.

For some reason this song gets a lot of hate around here too. When it was first released I fucking loved it because I could picture all the old stick-up-their-asses longtime fans getting all wound up about it. "What's this Village People crap?!"

Amazing video, if only they still had the courage to show their asses and take the piss again like that.

The best of mixes are an abomination. Gone is the only halfway decent attempt.

Pop is great because of the way the music plays against the damaged, soul-searching lyrical content. To shield listeners from the blow by smoothing out the edges is blasphemy, IMO.

The best of mixes are an abomination. Gone is the only halfway decent attempt.

Pop is great because of the way the music plays against the damaged, soul-searching lyrical content. To shield listeners from the blow by smoothing out the edges is blasphemy, IMO.

Agreed, and, I also neglected to agree with loving the lyrics.

Despite my merely liking and not loving Poppycock, I like it the way it is.

i think Poppycock should be left alone. it's red and sore from too much self-love/abuse.

i think it's interesting in the big picture, and i like what it's trying to do, i just don't think it does that very well. it's inspired and hungry, but has rather woeful execution. the songs are vastly better live, but i don't understand how people can say that Last Cock On Earth or DiscoCock are even in the Top 25 of best U2 "rock" songs, or how The Cockboy Mansion isn't a mess with really, really dated lyrics. even for 1997.

i think Poppycock should be left alone. it's red and sore from too much self-love/abuse.

i think it's interesting in the big picture, and i like what it's trying to do, i just don't think it does that very well. it's inspired and hungry, but has rather woeful execution. the songs are vastly better live, but i don't understand how people can say that Last Cock On Earth or DiscoCock are even in the Top 25 of best U2 "rock" songs, or how The Cockboy Mansion isn't a mess with really, really dated lyrics. even for 1997.

I think that Disco Cock is overrated, studio or Live. Last Cock on Earth, though, I really enjoy. Top 25? Not sure, but if it's not, for me, it's close.

Do You Feel Cock is the song on Poppycock that disappoints me the most, in that I like it, but I feel like the components are there for it to be a song I love.

I've always thought that the whole point of Playcock Mansion was to sound timely for the moment, but dated in the future. After all, the song contrasts the ephemeral and material with the eternal.

Shit, you bitches did a lot of talking since I've last been in.

And to be on topic, I still adore every second of Poppycock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom