Shuttlecock II: This is Where We Can Reach Around

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are a number of things I have always liked about the original version of the song; one is the lightness of touch, the momentum, the out-of-time-ness; at the time I wondered if there was some hope there for a way forward in their music that could keep that sense of a band three feet off the ground they'd had at their peak, in their new 'traditional back to basics' era. Maybe not, but it was a fair try.

The lyrics, although not flawless, whatever that entails, are another part. There's more in there than in any two or three autobiographical albums.

You beat me to it. Really good.

I like Pop more and more every day. It's weird, it has always been held in pretty high regard on this forum, but it is catastrophically underrated by critics/public.

This has been making the rounds on social media. It's fake, of course, but still sort of funny.

Bxqq53lCYAAFPFP.jpg:large

The love for Pop around here is certainly justified. Bono is the star there: he's never been so introspective or confrontational. Mofo is probably the best set of lyrics he has ever written.

To my ears, the beauty of U2's 90s work - Pop included - is that very little sounds dated, and a lot of it feels like something that could be released today and not feel out of place.

Wow, really? The drums and production value sound extremely dated to my ears.

I'm not a big fan of either version of Mercy. I guess it would have been better than Stand Up Comedy or something. But it's time may be passed until it gets completely reworked or just sampled into a new song.

Don't have a lot of time right now, but just wanted to pop in with a quick comment about Iris:

In the verses, Bono is using his lower register really effectively, and that makes me happy, because we so rarely get to hear his lower register anymore. His voice in the verses almost sounds like JT-era Bono.

:up:

Is it ok the other one is TUF? Does that meet your approval?

Fuck off.

Don't have a lot of time right now, but just wanted to pop in with a quick comment about Iris:

In the verses, Bono is using his lower register really effectively, and that makes me happy, because we so rarely get to hear his lower register anymore. His voice in the verses almost sounds like JT-era Bono.

:up:

I love the music and vocal on the verses. The chorus...not so much.

The final section is good too--"Iris standing in the hall...", etc., but it's a mixed bag for me.

I was drinkin' some wine
When I was pregnant with Lance
What's the use of abortion?
Give the bastard a chance

I know I'm a streetwalker, honey...and you're horny
If you've got 6 dollars...I'm ready
If you've got lice...I'm eager
And put your telescope...in me a little deeper

I was licking the stitches
With two cocks to rub
I'm rimming the ridges
of someone else's bum