Shag Point, New Zealand Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ha, you'd be screwed if you lived here! in february, everyone has to go digital or they won't receive channels anymore. we've been digital for maybe 10 years? we had digital cable then switched to satellite. now all our tvs are hd :drool:

I believe that analogue broadcasts are meant to stop in 2011 here, though I read somewhere that there may be some legal provision that will require them to keep broadcasting in analogue ANYWAY (I'm sure it's something to do with the Outback's technological isolation).

I'll get a digital TV one day, but only when the analogue one craps out and I actually would be getting a new TV anyway.

:giggle: i'll start doing that now. i'll post something like "i didn't see this show, but i'm sure it was good!" in every concert thread.

:laugh:

So, can you answer the earlier question about whether Timo posts over there?

I don't see myself going there until another Finn-related tour rocks through Melbourne and I find myself in need of setlists.

This is true. I wanna say my TV is digital, but I'm not too sure. It has a nice flat-screen, but it's not HD.
from what i've heard from the stupid commercials, anyone with satellite is okay because they show everything in digital. for cable, unless you have some el cheapo plan, it should be digital as well. at least here, i'm not even sure if the cable company here (time warner) has analogue cable anymore. it sounds like people watching the basic three channels with an antenna need to buy that stupid box.

I believe that analogue broadcasts are meant to stop in 2011 here, though I read somewhere that there may be some legal provision that will require them to keep broadcasting in analogue ANYWAY (I'm sure it's something to do with the Outback's technological isolation).

I'll get a digital TV one day, but only when the analogue one craps out and I actually would be getting a new TV anyway.
yeah, that makes sense. the government is assisting (don't know how much) people with buying the boxes if they need them, but for people living in the outback, they might not even have means to call or anything.

:laugh:

So, can you answer the earlier question about whether Timo posts over there?

I don't see myself going there until another Finn-related tour rocks through Melbourne and I find myself in need of setlists.
i haven't seen him post in forever. about right when i joined, actually. it's a conspiracy! :scream:

i always have some worthless crap to post about the finns :reject: just picture me here, except i talk about the finns. well, moreso.

yeah, that makes sense. the government is assisting (don't know how much) people with buying the boxes if they need them, but for people living in the outback, they might not even have means to call or anything.

i haven't seen him post in forever. about right when i joined, actually. it's a conspiracy! :scream:

i always have some worthless crap to post about the finns :reject: just picture me here, except i talk about the finns. well, moreso.

You know, when this whole thing started the boxes were only supposed to be like $20, but I've been seeing them at wal-mart for $50, that seems pretty crappy since it's the government that's pushing the cable companies hand on this one anywaysq

oh god, i just read dalton's post earlier about seeing nsw on a bike. last week i saw someone who looked exactly like him, hair and everything. i wonder if he was subbing for dalton at mcdonald's? :hmm:

So my purchase of 1 ticket from ticketmaster (that came at a hefty price) has given me ONE free iTunes download (wow.). Any suggestions before I just download a Tom Petty snog with it?

Way to have bad timing. :tsk:

It was time relatively well-spent, thankfully.

The fucking idiots next door are lighting off fireworks over their lawn. Thankfully, it has rained all day, so we won't all be incinerated.

You know, when this whole thing started the boxes were only supposed to be like $20, but I've been seeing them at wal-mart for $50, that seems pretty crappy since it's the government that's pushing the cable companies hand on this one anywaysq
i bet the ones at wal-mart are other brands making them, and not the ones the government is going to give out. i'm sure samsung, panasonic, sony, whoever is trying to make some extra cash :tsk:

Yeah, the Outback always has some issue with new technology. I think I read that with analogue vs digital TV, analogue is easier, cheaper, and more effective for broadcasting over long distances, while a total switch to digital would leave some people living in gigantic shadows without TV reception. Don't quote me on that, though, as I may just be talking out my arse due to knowing fuck-all about how the technology really works.

And yeah, I think the government here does subsidise the set-top boxes, but ... I don't feel the need to get one. Why spend money or something I don't need? I might as well go out and buy some petrol too, for the car I can't drive.

Bah! Why has he disappeared off the face of the planet! :rant:

And there doesn't have the postwhorehouse. :wink:

i bet the ones at wal-mart are other brands making them, and not the ones the government is going to give out. i'm sure samsung, panasonic, sony, whoever is trying to make some extra cash :tsk:

And Wal-Mart's really playing this thing up too, having a clock above them counting down to the moment that analog cable is getting shut off. I wonder how many people that have digital cable, and just don't know any better they've suckered into buying those.

And Wal-Mart's really playing this thing up too, having a clock above them counting down to the moment that analog cable is getting shut off. I wonder how many people that have digital cable, and just don't know any better they've suckered into buying those.

Given how many people voted for Bush TWICE, probably plenty of suckers.

Yeah, the Outback always has some issue with new technology. I think I read that with analogue vs digital TV, analogue is easier, cheaper, and more effective for broadcasting over long distances, while a total switch to digital would leave some people living in gigantic shadows without TV reception. Don't quote me on that, though, as I may just be talking out my arse due to knowing fuck-all about how the technology really works.

And yeah, I think the government here does subsidise the set-top boxes, but ... I don't feel the need to get one. Why spend money or something I don't need? I might as well go out and buy some petrol too, for the car I can't drive.

Bah! Why has he disappeared off the face of the planet! :rant:

And there doesn't have the postwhorehouse. :wink:
yeah, i've seen videos from the mid 70s (!!!) from australia that are in black and white. it said that the region was still broadcasting in black and white. it just came as such a shock to me. so it isn't surprising that some parts of australia would have problems with the digital conversion.

and for boxes, at least here, you can get them for free if you can prove you can't afford it. but of course, there's that whole mess of showing you can't pay for it. who knows what kind of ridiculous standards they'd set?

and i know! i tried to add him as a facebook friend a while back, and while i never got a denial notice, i never got an approval one either :depressed:

geez, that is sad. that's another reason i don't go to wal-mart. i feel bad for anyone hooking those ugly boxes (yeah i'm assuming they're ugly) to their receiver and tv, possibly confusing hdtv with dtv. "ah don't got no aych day tay vee, we're gownnuh lose awr tay-vee if we don't bah this bawx!"

the only songs by them I know are things I heard from desert Island, and I don't even remember how anything went :huh:
:sad:

Unbelievable. I imagine only a handful of people would need to buy anything at all; how many are still on analogue cable, honestly? :huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom