Shag Point, New Zealand Superthread - Page 14 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2008, 10:07 AM   #196
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
I've been meaning to ask: what on earth does your e-mail address mean? And how do you tell it to people? I have a hard enough time with amakaxver that I sometimes just give people my university address as it's simply my real name.
Thayendanegea is Mohawk Iroquois for "he who places two bets", or something roughly akin to that. It was the native name for Joseph Brant, an Iroquois chief loyal to the British during the American Revolution.

I just pronounce it with my best knowledge of how to pronounce Mohawk (actually, I did study it a bit a couple years ago) and when they pause and look at me I say "uh, it was this Indian chief".

Old 07-04-2008, 10:10 AM   #197
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevated_u2_fan View Post
I just sent a test email, let me know if you get it... I never got any kind of a bounce back from the original email so that's kind of odd
Got it!

Old 07-04-2008, 10:15 AM   #198
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sad Punk View Post
Got it!
Cool!

I'll send you the album in a couple of minutes.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:17 AM   #199
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 02:19 PM
Quote:
Thayendanegea is Mohawk Iroquois for "he who places two bets", or something roughly akin to that. It was the native name for Joseph Brant, an Iroquois chief loyal to the British during the American Revolution.

I just pronounce it with my best knowledge of how to pronounce Mohawk (actually, I did study it a bit a couple years ago) and when they pause and look at me I say "uh, it was this Indian chief".
Hah, that's awesome.

See, I just get tired of spelling out my e-mail address for people, and yours seems like it would be even more of a pain to spell out. Though it's especially frustrating for me because my accent apparently shows the most when I spell things out, and some people are stunningly dense (once tried to spell 'goanna' to a guy at high school and it came back 'goainina' because he thought I was saying 'in' ...).

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-04-2008, 10:19 AM   #200
Vocal parasite

OK. Bonnie, how familiar are you with Catherine Wheel's discography? I was just intending to find their first two albums, but there's a full discography torrent here. Think it'd be worth it? The average ratings on RYM seem to indicate they fell victim to the standard shoegaze band curse of producing a couple of good early albums and then going to shit ...

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-04-2008, 10:19 AM   #201
Blue Crack Addict

My cat Stimpy is up on the table. He just stood on the spacebar for five seconds.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:21 AM   #202
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:19 PM
Quote:
OK. Bonnie, how familiar are you with Catherine Wheel's discography? I was just intending to find their first two albums, but there's a full discography torrent here. Think it'd be worth it? The average ratings on RYM seem to indicate they fell victim to the standard shoegaze band curse of producing a couple of good early albums and then going to shit ...
Just avoid their last album. They did not fall to shit, but, I will admit that their musical direction changes after their first 2 albums.

Their B-sides are actually pretty good, so, find the Like Cats and Dogs stuff if you go above and beyond the first 2 albums.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:22 AM   #203
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I imagine there are people here that would deny it, but the general opinion is that Catherine Wheel are THE shoegaze-band-that-went-to-shit. Their later stuff is the worst of the worst. I'm mainly saying word-of-mouth here, but I have heard post-Chrome stuff that really stinks.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:24 AM   #204
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
Just avoid their last album. They did not fall to shit, but, I will admit that their musical direction changes after their first 2 albums.

Their B-sides are actually pretty good, so, find the Like Cats and Dogs stuff if you go above and beyond the first 2 albums.
I don't even mind their later stuff altough it is fairly generic...

Cats and Dogs is pretty good - I agree, they actually do a half-decent cover of Wish You Were Here...
Old 07-04-2008, 10:25 AM   #205
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I don't even mind their later stuff altough it is fairly generic...

Cats and Dogs is pretty good - I agree, they actually do a half-decent cover of Wish You Were Here...
They also cover Spirit of Radio.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:26 AM   #206
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post

The torrent in question actually has Like Cats And Dogs as well as the five main albums, so that's cool. Looks like they put a Pink Floyd cover on there - should be interesting. (Edit: And hey, by the time I post, it's already mentioned!)

Love the contrasting opinions from you and Bonnie on the later works.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-04-2008, 10:27 AM   #207
Blue Crack Supplier

Now that I really thing about it, Andre, for you, do not bother beyond the first 2 albums. The bottom line is despite my feelings towards the other albums, you will not like them, and that's the point of this exercise. Go with the first two, maybe get the B-sides, call it a shoe-gazey day.

But, they did not go to shit. They went another route. Some liked it, some did not. Easy as that.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:28 AM   #208
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Love the contrasting opinions from you and Bonnie on the later works.
Elf and Mike are obviously bigger fans than I am, so I'd say their advice is more knowledgable. But I can at least say that if you want shoegaze, don't go for the later stuff.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:30 AM   #209
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
But I can at least say that if you want shoegaze, don't go for the later stuff.
We all agree on that.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:31 AM   #210
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Cool!

I'll send you the album in a couple of minutes.
on its way

Tags
superthread