Sexy Peak, Idaho Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
phillyfan26 said:
I think the reference to "school" is because college has become more and more of a requirement now. It's not as big a deal to go to college, it's expected more than it used to.

I think there are a number of things Americans are wrong on. I don't think them referring to university as school is one of them.

Oh, this is another thing that drives me nuts, but there's a good reason (for a change?). In New Zealand, 'college' is the word for high school (and I've noticed almost every private high school in Australia is Something College too). I've been online for years and it STILL confuses the shit out of me when Americans use it to mean university. Haven't gotten used to it yet.

Axver said:

Oh, this is another thing that drives me nuts, but there's a good reason (for a change?). In New Zealand, 'college' is the word for high school (and I've noticed almost every private high school in Australia is Something College too). I've been online for years and it STILL confuses the shit out of me when Americans use it to mean university. Haven't gotten used to it yet.

Totally agreed on that one. AFAIK America's the only place that calls university "college", apart from Malaysia, right?

I really don't want to have to go through this thread defending everything about America. It is what it is, I live here, I deal with it.

major_panic said:
Do what Ax and I do, and find fulfillment in debating over the internet. It's one of the only places you'll be able to find people who'll match your intellectual capacity.

I know for sure that in my circle of friends, I'm just about the only one who actually thinks things through carefully, and thinks long and deep about theology, life and philosophy. So it's kinda hard to talk about it to anyone.

University people are a bit meh, I've found that everyone already has friends and the weird Asian guy just gets ignored.

Quoted for truth. All of it, except replace 'weird Asian guy' with 'weird nerdy guy'. I love being intellectually challenged but it so rarely happens offline ... sigh.

I also love how everybody says "people don't really know that many others in uni so they all want to make friends!" Yeah, that totally explains why whenever I walk into new courses, there's already people hanging around in little groups and cliques while I'm just sitting there by myself ...

major_panic said:

Totally agreed on that one. AFAIK America's the only place that calls university "college", apart from Malaysia, right?

Yeah, I believe its usage in the US is fairly unique.

But considering US English isn't really worthy of being called English, I can't say I'm entirely surprised.

phillyfan26 said:
I really don't want to have to go through this thread defending everything about America. It is what it is, I live here, I deal with it.

Fair enough. You do know that you're an honorary Australian / Kiwi, right?

And don't mind Ax and I, we just have this... thing against America. :lol:

phillyfan26 said:

I know I knock the place too much. I promise you, I don't go out of my way to find things I don't like. I don't quite get why the US does such a job of pissing me off, in a way totally unlike any other country.

I do feel bad about it, you know.

Axver said:

I also love how everybody says "people don't really know that many others in uni so they all want to make friends!"

I believed in this from when I graduated up till I started attending university, to the point of not really hanging out much with my friends from high school when I saw them at uni, just to make some new friends.

Turns out that everyone else had a different idea. Too bad, old chap, go and be lonely somewhere else.

So I joined the wushu club, and it's slightly better since. I still hang out by myself at uni, though. Doesn't help that I'm not the naturally friendly type unless I really try.

Axver said:

I know I knock the place too much. I promise you, I don't go out of my way to find things I don't like. I don't quite get why the US does such a job of pissing me off, in a way totally unlike any other country.

I do feel bad about it, you know.

What he said.

I certainly understand how America can seem bizarre in some aspects, but then again most countries seem bizarre to others in some ways.

As much as America fucks up some shit, there are a lot of good things about it. And I'm not leaving, all my family and friends are here, so I just have to deal.

Hey PFan, how's the girl thing going, by the way?

And don't feel obliged to answer if you don't want to, just curious.

She's going to Italy for Spring Break, so there won't be any updates for about a week and a half.

However, I'll be home all week, so I might be here more.

major_panic said:
I believed in this from when I graduated up till I started attending university, to the point of not really hanging out much with my friends from high school when I saw them at uni, just to make some new friends.

Turns out that everyone else had a different idea. Too bad, old chap, go and be lonely somewhere else.

So I joined the wushu club, and it's slightly better since.

I was fucked from the outset:
1. I took a year off.
2. Only a couple of people from my school went to university in Brisbane, let alone at UQ. I heard one or two were at UQ but I never saw them. Everybody else stayed at the hick unis on the Gold Coast.
3. NONE of my friends went straight to uni. There was a group of four of us, myself included. Sam tried to join the Air Force, then did odd jobs and is now starting uni this year. Aaron's done non-uni tertiary courses and isn't quite clear on where he's going. Jamie spent a year in England and then went to Toowoomba because it was the only uni he could get into.
4. I then moved to Melbourne.

That's cool. No plans for when she rocks back home? Y'know, start with hanging out more and see where it goes from there, sorta thing?

phillyfan26 said:
I certainly understand how America can seem bizarre in some aspects, but then again most countries seem bizarre to others in some ways.

As much as America fucks up some shit, there are a lot of good things about it. And I'm not leaving, all my family and friends are here, so I just have to deal.

It's not that it seems bizarre, but that it seems to do things wrong, to ruin things, and so forth. I mean, why even touch the spelling of English? I wish one day I could decipher my reaction to America properly. I never used to be negative towards it. In fact, I was pretty pro-American until I got online. Surprising, I know.

major_panic said:
That's cool. No plans for when she rocks back home? Y'know, start with hanging out more and see where it goes from there, sorta thing?

Yeah, I plan on trying to make some plans with her, but, you know, it's easier said than done. We've never hung out too much outside of school, so it'll be interesting to see if that starts happening more frequently. If it does, I think it's a good sign.

Axver said:

I was fucked from the outset:
1. I took a year off.
2. Only a couple of people from my school went to university in Brisbane, let alone at UQ. I heard one or two were at UQ but I never saw them. Everybody else stayed at the hick unis on the Gold Coast.
3. NONE of my friends went straight to uni. There was a group of four of us, myself included. Sam tried to join the Air Force, then did odd jobs and is now starting uni this year. Aaron's done non-uni tertiary courses and isn't quite clear on where he's going. Jamie spent a year in England and then went to Toowoomba because it was the only uni he could get into.
4. I then moved to Melbourne.

In a totally not-funny-at-all-way,

AXVER'S SOCIAL LIFE = OWNED

Just had to do it.

Trust me, I sympathise with you heaps. It's the opposite for me with friends from high school going to uni, except they now all mostly ignore me having made friends of their own and discovering girls. :madspit:

phillyfan26 said:

Yeah, I plan on trying to make some plans with her, but, you know, it's easier said than done. We've never hung out too much outside of school, so it'll be interesting to see if that starts happening more frequently. If it does, I think it's a good sign.

I guess the hard thing then will be putting it to her in a not-very-mildly-suspicious way that you want to hang out, but don't necessarily want to hop into a relationship.

Axver said:
It's not that it seems bizarre, but that it seems to do things wrong, to ruin things, and so forth. I mean, why even touch the spelling of English? I wish one day I could decipher my reaction to America properly. I never used to be negative towards it. In fact, I was pretty pro-American until I got online. Surprising, I know.

The spelling of English thing is from hundreds of years ago. :shrug:

I think America, as of recently, has fucked a lot of shit up, you know, with Iraq, with burning a lot of bridges, etc. I think of the southern US seceded from the northern US, everyone would be happier.

phillyfan26 said:
I think America, as of recently, has fucked a lot of shit up, you know, with Iraq, with burning a lot of bridges, etc. I think of the southern US seceded from the northern US, everyone would be happier.

That would be made of SuperWin, yes. It'd also be quite hilarious.

major_panic said:
In a totally not-funny-at-all-way,

AXVER'S SOCIAL LIFE = OWNED

Just had to do it.

:lol: It's true - it had to be said!

Trust me, I sympathise with you heaps. It's the opposite for me with friends from high school going to uni, except they now all mostly ignore me having made friends of their own and discovering girls. :madspit:

Ugh, I hate it when that happens. I really value Jamie's friendship; despite all our time apart, we're closer friends now than we've ever been and we both go to great effort to see each other. Sam, however ... he was a seriously close friend once, but now he seems far more interested in his church group. What's that I smell, another feel-good mission trip?

phillyfan26 said:
The spelling of English thing is from hundreds of years ago. :shrug:

Eh, I still maintain you guys royally fucked up there. It's called the Oxford English Dictionary, and until 1993 when they decided -ize should have the same standing as -ise, it told you everything you needed to know about English. Fuck Webster.

I'd totally be cool if the South seceded. Or fell into the sea. That'd be even better. The northeast didn't seem so bad. I mean, I'd take Boston over Sydney or Brisbane any day of the week.

major_panic said:

That would be made of SuperWin, yes. It'd also be quite hilarious.

Well, the south would probably be fucked considering everyone in the world could hate them without conscious anymore. The conservatives would move down there, the liberals stay up here, and that would be that. The levels of respect would make sense: we'd get more, they'd get less.

We'll be the United States of America, they can be Jesusland.

Axver said:
Ugh, I hate it when that happens. I really value Jamie's friendship; despite all our time apart, we're closer friends now than we've ever been and we both go to great effort to see each other. Sam, however ... he was a seriously close friend once, but now he seems far more interested in his church group. What's that I smell, another feel-good mission trip?

I get the thing about missions trips, but at least they help people out, even if it does cost aforementioned people an earful of religion that they might or might not be prepared to accept. But yeah, they help people out a lot of the time, which is more than most can say for themselves :shrug:

It does seem to become a more inward-focused and congratulatory thing though. "Hey look, we helped starving kids in India, aren't we great?"

Fuck, guys, I'm going to need to go if I want to meet Ali and Melissa tomorrow. I need some decent sleep.

I was gonna try to get some MP3s off you until I saw what time you were still up at. :wink:

Axver said:
Fuck, guys, I'm going to need to go if I want to meet Ali and Melissa tomorrow. I need some decent sleep.

Good thinking. I've been telling myself that I should go soon, but I'm not tired at all. I should probably just sleep anyway though.

major_panic said:
I get the thing about missions trips, but at least they help people out, even if it does cost aforementioned people an earful of religion that they might or might not be prepared to accept. But yeah, they help people out a lot of the time, which is more than most can say for themselves :shrug:

It does seem to become a more inward-focused and congratulatory thing though. "Hey look, we helped starving kids in India, aren't we great?"

I am being a bit hard on Sam because his mission trips do sound like they've done a fair amount of good and weren't overloaded with religion. I don't appreciate that he's quite happy to push that as his little bit of righteousness that trumps everything else though.

And my high school's mission trips were just self-congratulatory crap that did almost nothing for anybody. All the stories without fail were not about how somebody was helped or some place improved, but about how good a time the group had and all the fun things they did together. You got a sense they were only in it for a weekend of fun, with a veneer of meaningfulness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom