Sexbierum, Holland Superthread - Page 51 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2008, 12:09 AM   #751
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by DreamOutLoud13
The Imperial March from Star Wars?

I find that movie soundtracks, particularly scores, tend to be the very best thing to listen to while writing. The music can represent various moods, while not being obtrusive or distracting.

Although honestly, I rarely try to match the music to the piece I'm writing. Except maybe if I'm writing sex.
I using certain Star Wars themes to help write the noble and heroic parts.

I find music to be a very helpful tool. It brings out in the characters in me and allows them to write through me.

Old 05-19-2008, 12:11 AM   #752
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 06:45 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2
For everyone still here, I was wondering what you guys think is good music to listen to while writing for a villain?
Metal.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-19-2008, 12:13 AM   #753
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by Varitek

you can totally just look like you're taking notes while you're posting.
I always wonder if the people I see in class with laptops are actually taking notes or just wasting time.

I mean, I sit there and look like I'm taking notes in my book, but I'm really just creating setlists or drawing railway maps or scribbling in the margins or whatever.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-19-2008, 12:13 AM   #754
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

Metal.
Is there anything particularly sinister that you'd recommend?
Old 05-19-2008, 12:14 AM   #755
Vocal parasite

Quote:

Is there anything particularly sinister that you'd recommend?
Presumably without death growls?

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-19-2008, 12:16 AM   #756
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by DreamOutLoud13
The Imperial March from Star Wars?

I find that movie soundtracks, particularly scores, tend to be the very best thing to listen to while writing. The music can represent various moods, while not being obtrusive or distracting.

Although honestly, I rarely try to match the music to the piece I'm writing. Except maybe if I'm writing sex.
Personally, for most writing, I simply choose something expansive and atmospheric like The Unforgettable Fire, Captive, Pure Reason Revolution, God Is An Astronaut, or Explosions In The Sky. I find it helps with creativity, probably because I find expansive, spectacular locations to be very inspiring and the music gives me at least something of the atmosphere being there.

Though if I'm writing something fast-paced or dark, I'll choose heavier music. Agalloch for example.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-19-2008, 12:16 AM   #757
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Presumably without death growls?
It doesn't matter. I just want something that sounds sinister and cold.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:20 AM   #758
Vocal parasite

Quote:

It doesn't matter. I just want something that sounds sinister and cold.
Agalloch's music always makes me think of traipsing through a dark, silent forest in Canada or the northwest US in the very darkest depths of winter. Might that be what you're looking for?

(Incidentally, Agalloch's latest release, The White EP, is not metal at all. No growls, no heavy riffage, nothing. It's like ... almost folk with the dark atmosphere of their metal.)

Oh, and have you ever tried apocalyptic neofolk? Sol Invictus's Lex Talionis might be good. Might still have it uploaded.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-19-2008, 12:22 AM   #759
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:45 PM
Okay thanks a lot. Now I'm listening to My Chemical Romance.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:26 AM   #760
Blue Crack Addict

This song appears to be about coming back from the dead in order to exact revenge on your girlfriend for murdering you... or something.

I will avenge my ghost
With every breath I take

I'm coming back from the dead
And I'll take you home with me
I'm taking back the life you stole

This hole you put me in
Wasn't deep enough
And I'm climbing out right now
You're running out of places to hide from me
Old 05-19-2008, 12:27 AM   #761
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Agalloch's music always makes me think of traipsing through a dark, silent forest in Canada or the northwest US in the very darkest depths of winter. Might that be what you're looking for?

(Incidentally, Agalloch's latest release, The White EP, is not metal at all. No growls, no heavy riffage, nothing. It's like ... almost folk with the dark atmosphere of their metal.)

Oh, and have you ever tried apocalyptic neofolk? Sol Invictus's Lex Talionis might be good. Might still have it uploaded.
Agalloch sounds like what I'm looking for. I want the cold of the villain to clash with the warmth of the heroes. The winter sound is a good direction.

I honestly have never heard of neofolk.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:31 AM   #762
Vocal parasite

Quote:

Agalloch sounds like what I'm looking for. I want the cold of the villain to clash with the warmth of the heroes. The winter sound is a good direction.

I honestly have never heard of neofolk.
I tend to write to their debut, Pale Folklore, but their best album is probably The Mantle (which has the sprawling In The Shadow Of Our Pale Companion, my favourite Agalloch song). But Pale Folklore has She Painted Fire Across The Skyline I-III, which has fuelled a lot of creativity.

Well, all I know is Sol Invictus; their music is based on folk but brings in some darker, industrial techniques and is quite bleak. One of Agalloch's primary influences, incidentally, and the motivation behind The White EP.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-19-2008, 12:34 AM   #763
Blue Crack Addict

And this song seems to be from the perspective of a mass murderer who regrets what he's been doing:

Another knife in my hands
A stain that never comes off the sheets
Clean me off, I'm so dirty babe

The kind of dirty where the water never cleans off the clothes
I keep a book of the names and those
Only go so far to bury them
So deep and down we go
Old 05-19-2008, 12:34 AM   #764
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

I tend to write to their debut, Pale Folklore, but their best album is probably The Mantle (which has the sprawling In The Shadow Of Our Pale Companion, my favourite Agalloch song). But Pale Folklore has She Painted Fire Across The Skyline I-III, which has fuelled a lot of creativity.

Well, all I know is Sol Invictus; their music is based on folk but brings in some darker, industrial techniques and is quite bleak. One of Agalloch's primary influences, incidentally, and the motivation behind The White EP.
Thanks. I'm going to see what is out there on Youtube for Agalloch.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:38 AM   #765
Vocal parasite

Quote:

Thanks. I'm going to see what is out there on Youtube for Agalloch.
Last time I looked, I found some live footage of absolutely appalling quality.

The music video for the radio edit of Not Unlike The Waves should be there.

Gig pictures | Blog

Tags
superthread