Sexbierum, Holland Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
coolian2 said:
I usually make a point of setting my watch a bit fast just to ensure i never miss the bus.

Of course, the effort is wasted because it's a total lottery as to when the bus will come past my stop so i end up going to the stop even earlier.

:laugh:

Yeah, I've noticed the buses in Melbourne aren't entirely reliable when it comes to their timetable. I've only twice encountered trams shooting through early and they're normally within a minute of their timetabled arrival, so I'm happy with that. The pointless bus to nowhere that cruises down my street, however, must have the worst timetable keeping in the world. Sometimes it just stops at the stop near my place for five minutes because it's empty and has time to catch up.

I would worry that the pointless one past my place is a complete lottery and people would miss it all the time since it has only the vaguest notion of running to schedule, but since probably about 5 people ride it a day, my heart isn't exactly bleeding for them. It should just be cancelled. There are much better bus services a block in either direction!

And AWESOME, just booked my tickets for the last steam train excursion to Albury-Wodonga on the 5'3" broad gauge track (it's being converted to 4'8.5" standard gauge, meaning the preserved Victorian steam trains will no longer be able to run there). Can't wait. :drool:

Axver said:

Here, by law, analogue TV will continue to broadcast until the end of 2011. I have heard that there might actually be some requirement that it continue past that date but I don't know if that's true.

As it stands, I am quite happy with my current analogue TV, and from watching digital TVs, I see no improvement, certainly nothing to make me desire an upgrade. So I won't spend the money.

Well, the thing with the switch from analog to digital is that currently television is taking up two HUGE chunks of broadcast signals, and one of them has to go. There's more potential for the digital broadcasts, and the quality/availability/etc. is better, so the switch is being made.

I believe it's wrong to force people to switch, but on the other hand, there may be other important things that broadcast.

Anyways, that's the US's excuse, and my prof. from History of Broadcasting.

Bleh, now I have to run out the door to a doctor's appointment. I'll see you good folk much later today, as I then am meeting a friend for lunch and have university to attend in the afternoon.

Hope you guys make it to a new thread in the next eight hours or so!

:wave:

Digital TV is not just about the picture quality. It's also about the ability to deliver original content in large quantities to consumers, amongst other things. Analog's time has come and gone.

NSW has appeared at least 3 times in May.

NSW will digital provide me with the option to toggle the sound I am hearing, so that I can for example turn off obnoxious fox/espn newscasters and just hear the crowd/game sounds?

Chances are, if you have cable varitek, you already have digital, and if you cant' already do that, then sorry :(

It's an option on Foxtel digital in Australia for some games.

I'd presume it won't be long before it appears in the USA.

I can't wait to be able to use it here. I'd mute the entire TV to block out all of the commentary idiots, but sport without atmosphere is fucking shit.

There's something to be said for David Bowie for something as ambitious as 1. Outside. Not his best work ever, but really something unique.

coolian2 said:
It's an option on Foxtel digital in Australia for some games.

I'd presume it won't be long before it appears in the USA.

I can't wait to be able to use it here. I'd mute the entire TV to block out all of the commentary idiots, but sport without atmosphere is fucking shit.

:yes:

I think it's more well executed as a concept album, if you were to compare it to something like Diamond Dogs. However, I don't think it's got the song quality overall of anything he did in the 70s besides Young Americans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom