Ryan Adams - Jacksonville City Nights - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-28-2005, 04:07 PM   #46
New Yorker
 
typhoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nowhere, New Mexico
Posts: 3,009
Local Time: 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
I'm not so into the country-ish feel of the new stuff (Whiskeytown excepted).
?!

Everything he's ever done, outside of his awful 2003 records, has been pretty darn country-ish.
__________________

__________________
typhoon is offline  
Old 09-28-2005, 04:39 PM   #47
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by typhoon

?!

Everything he's ever done, outside of his awful 2003 records, has been pretty darn country-ish.
Love is Hell was amazing, one of my all time top 10 albums.
__________________

__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 09-28-2005, 06:53 PM   #48
New Yorker
 
typhoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nowhere, New Mexico
Posts: 3,009
Local Time: 05:50 PM
Yeah, everyone likes those two/that one but me.
__________________
typhoon is offline  
Old 09-28-2005, 08:31 PM   #49
War Child
 
xtihn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: So Cal
Posts: 760
Local Time: 04:50 PM
i have Love is Hell, which i really like. after going through this thread, it seems like a lot of people really like Cold Roses...how is that compared to Love is Hell? and also JCN... any opinions? i'm still debating whether or not i should expand my ryan adams collection.
__________________
xtihn is offline  
Old 09-28-2005, 08:35 PM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
UnforgettableLemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Lansdale, PA
Posts: 7,286
Local Time: 07:50 PM
Cold Roses is very southern/Jam band sounding. Like the Dead, but a lot less hippy and a lot more honkytonk. Still not a totally countryish record though, and much more musically complex than Love is Hell. Jacksonville City Nights is a classicist country album for the most part. A little more reflective than drinkin', but definitely more country than anything he's done thusfar. Both are quite enjoyable, IMO, and i find JCN to be very accessible for some reason, something I haven't found with any Adams recording since Gold.
__________________
UnforgettableLemon is offline  
Old 09-28-2005, 08:41 PM   #51
Refugee
 
boosterjuice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: CANADA
Posts: 1,810
Local Time: 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by xtihn
i have Love is Hell, which i really like. after going through this thread, it seems like a lot of people really like Cold Roses...how is that compared to Love is Hell? and also JCN... any opinions? i'm still debating whether or not i should expand my ryan adams collection.
You should definitely get Cold Roses! There are so many great songs.

About half of the songs are awesome.
__________________
boosterjuice is offline  
Old 09-28-2005, 08:59 PM   #52
War Child
 
xtihn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: So Cal
Posts: 760
Local Time: 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by UnforgettableLemon
Cold Roses is very southern/Jam band sounding. Like the Dead, but a lot less hippy and a lot more honkytonk. Still not a totally countryish record though, and much more musically complex than Love is Hell. Jacksonville City Nights is a classicist country album for the most part. A little more reflective than drinkin', but definitely more country than anything he's done thusfar. Both are quite enjoyable, IMO, and i find JCN to be very accessible for some reason, something I haven't found with any Adams recording since Gold.
oh crap...honkytonk doesn't sound good to me... but musically complex sounds appealing....

i've heard many times that ryan adams' music is described as country-ish/ alt-country so i thought i wouldn't like his music (cuxz i'm not into country) but after i got Love is Hell i liked it a lot.

are his albums drastically different from each other? so...if i like Love is Hell, will i like Cold Roses, or JCN, or ROck n roll, etc...?

i guess i should at least try to listen on itunes or something before i buy...
__________________
xtihn is offline  
Old 09-28-2005, 09:28 PM   #53
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
UnforgettableLemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Lansdale, PA
Posts: 7,286
Local Time: 07:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by xtihn


oh crap...honkytonk doesn't sound good to me... but musically complex sounds appealing....

i've heard many times that ryan adams' music is described as country-ish/ alt-country so i thought i wouldn't like his music (cuxz i'm not into country) but after i got Love is Hell i liked it a lot.

are his albums drastically different from each other? so...if i like Love is Hell, will i like Cold Roses, or JCN, or ROck n roll, etc...?

i guess i should at least try to listen on itunes or something before i buy...
Okay, not LITERALLY honky tonk as in the subgenre of country, but I just meant they're more country than the Dead were (who had their share of country influence).

Also, Love is Hell and Rock N Roll are about as far from his country stuff as you can get. (Rock N Roll being a mishmash of glam, classic rock, and "alternative" think U2 meet the Strokes meet T. Rex meet the Replacements meet.... etc.) Gold is a bit more classic rockish, while Heartbreaker and Cold Roses are pretty balanced still favoring classic rock/country balladry. Jacksonville City Nights is about as country as he could possibly get while still sounding like Ryan Adams.
__________________
UnforgettableLemon is offline  
Old 09-28-2005, 09:33 PM   #54
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 63,730
Local Time: 04:50 PM
Okay, yeah, a lot of his stuff does have that alt-countryish sound to it. "Countryish" was the wrong phrase to describe the new one, I guess.

And now I guess I can't say why I didn't like it.

I like the first Love is Hell EP, but the second wasn't as good. Rock n Roll took a bit to grow on me, but now I really like it.
__________________
corianderstem is offline  
Old 09-28-2005, 11:28 PM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
elevation2u's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: corner of Badlands & Magnolia Mountain
Posts: 5,371
Local Time: 04:50 PM
If I can buy only ONE adams's album... what would it be and what would i buy second???

i like countryish/alternative music..


need some sugegstions, thanks
__________________
elevation2u is offline  
Old 09-28-2005, 11:36 PM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
beau2ifulday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Birmingham, UK
Posts: 5,512
Local Time: 12:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by elevation2u
If I can buy only ONE adams's album... what would it be and what would i buy second???

i like countryish/alternative music..


need some sugegstions, thanks
I don't know about second, but I would definitely recommend getting 'Gold' first.
__________________
beau2ifulday is offline  
Old 09-28-2005, 11:37 PM   #57
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
UnforgettableLemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Lansdale, PA
Posts: 7,286
Local Time: 07:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by elevation2u
If I can buy only ONE adams's album... what would it be and what would i buy second???

i like countryish/alternative music..


need some sugegstions, thanks
Heartbreaker. It's got 3 of the best songs he's written - To Be Sad, Oh My Sweet Carolina, and Come Pick Me Up. It's also got Sweet Lil Gal, Amy, My Winding Wheel, Bartering Lines, Shakedown on 9th St., Damn Sam... lots of good songs. A bit of filler, but this is true of ALL of his albums up until Love is Hell, IMO.

Then Gold has the big "hit" New York, New York. And the original and best version of When the Stars Go Blue, among other tracks.

Cold Roses is good, too though. And Love is Hell. :-\
__________________
UnforgettableLemon is offline  
Old 09-29-2005, 12:15 AM   #58
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 63,730
Local Time: 04:50 PM
I'd say Heartbreaker and then Gold, even though Gold is a wee bit too long.
__________________
corianderstem is offline  
Old 09-29-2005, 03:46 PM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
elevation2u's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: corner of Badlands & Magnolia Mountain
Posts: 5,371
Local Time: 04:50 PM
thanks

i was all set to buy tix for his show in August and then they got cancelled the day I went to Ticketmaster ...but hopefully he'll be back
__________________
elevation2u is offline  
Old 09-29-2005, 03:59 PM   #60
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator
 
Bonochick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Cherry Lane
Posts: 40,816
Local Time: 08:50 PM

So...after a few more listens...

I find it to be an enjoyable Ryan album...another good, solid addition to his discography...but it isn't exactly bowling me over (yet, anyway). It's nothing that I am running up to hilltops to proclaim that everybody simply must own this record. I would suggest other albums first. But that isn't a stab at it, because I truly do think it's a nice album, and some of the songs are really hitting me.

I would suggest Gold and Cold Roses...then Heartbreaker...then Love Is Hell...then Demolition...then Rock N Roll.

I have yet to decide where I'd put JCN in that lineup...

*edit*

Or, mayhaps, Love Is Hell before Heartbreaker...would probably depend on who I was suggesting them to and what they thought of Gold and Cold Roses.
__________________

__________________
"Knight in shining Zubaz."

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Bonochick is offline  
 

Tags
jacksonville city nights, ryan adams

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com