Ryan Adams - Jacksonville City Nights - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2005, 04:07 PM   #46
New Yorker

Local Time: 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
I'm not so into the country-ish feel of the new stuff (Whiskeytown excepted).
?!

Everything he's ever done, outside of his awful 2003 records, has been pretty darn country-ish.

Old 09-28-2005, 04:39 PM   #47
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by typhoon

?!

Everything he's ever done, outside of his awful 2003 records, has been pretty darn country-ish.
Love is Hell was amazing, one of my all time top 10 albums.

Old 09-28-2005, 06:53 PM   #48
New Yorker

Yeah, everyone likes those two/that one but me.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:31 PM   #49
War Child

Local Time: 04:50 PM
i have Love is Hell, which i really like. after going through this thread, it seems like a lot of people really like Cold Roses...how is that compared to Love is Hell? and also JCN... any opinions? i'm still debating whether or not i should expand my ryan adams collection.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:35 PM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:50 PM
Cold Roses is very southern/Jam band sounding. Like the Dead, but a lot less hippy and a lot more honkytonk. Still not a totally countryish record though, and much more musically complex than Love is Hell. Jacksonville City Nights is a classicist country album for the most part. A little more reflective than drinkin', but definitely more country than anything he's done thusfar. Both are quite enjoyable, IMO, and i find JCN to be very accessible for some reason, something I haven't found with any Adams recording since Gold.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:41 PM   #51
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by xtihn
i have Love is Hell, which i really like. after going through this thread, it seems like a lot of people really like Cold Roses...how is that compared to Love is Hell? and also JCN... any opinions? i'm still debating whether or not i should expand my ryan adams collection.
You should definitely get Cold Roses! There are so many great songs.

About half of the songs are awesome.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:59 PM   #52
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by UnforgettableLemon
Cold Roses is very southern/Jam band sounding. Like the Dead, but a lot less hippy and a lot more honkytonk. Still not a totally countryish record though, and much more musically complex than Love is Hell. Jacksonville City Nights is a classicist country album for the most part. A little more reflective than drinkin', but definitely more country than anything he's done thusfar. Both are quite enjoyable, IMO, and i find JCN to be very accessible for some reason, something I haven't found with any Adams recording since Gold.
oh crap...honkytonk doesn't sound good to me... but musically complex sounds appealing....

i've heard many times that ryan adams' music is described as country-ish/ alt-country so i thought i wouldn't like his music (cuxz i'm not into country) but after i got Love is Hell i liked it a lot.

are his albums drastically different from each other? so...if i like Love is Hell, will i like Cold Roses, or JCN, or ROck n roll, etc...?

i guess i should at least try to listen on itunes or something before i buy...
Old 09-28-2005, 09:28 PM   #53
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by xtihn

oh crap...honkytonk doesn't sound good to me... but musically complex sounds appealing....

i've heard many times that ryan adams' music is described as country-ish/ alt-country so i thought i wouldn't like his music (cuxz i'm not into country) but after i got Love is Hell i liked it a lot.

are his albums drastically different from each other? so...if i like Love is Hell, will i like Cold Roses, or JCN, or ROck n roll, etc...?

i guess i should at least try to listen on itunes or something before i buy...
Okay, not LITERALLY honky tonk as in the subgenre of country, but I just meant they're more country than the Dead were (who had their share of country influence).

Also, Love is Hell and Rock N Roll are about as far from his country stuff as you can get. (Rock N Roll being a mishmash of glam, classic rock, and "alternative" think U2 meet the Strokes meet T. Rex meet the Replacements meet.... etc.) Gold is a bit more classic rockish, while Heartbreaker and Cold Roses are pretty balanced still favoring classic rock/country balladry. Jacksonville City Nights is about as country as he could possibly get while still sounding like Ryan Adams.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:33 PM   #54
Blue Crack Distributor

Okay, yeah, a lot of his stuff does have that alt-countryish sound to it. "Countryish" was the wrong phrase to describe the new one, I guess.

And now I guess I can't say why I didn't like it.

I like the first Love is Hell EP, but the second wasn't as good. Rock n Roll took a bit to grow on me, but now I really like it.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:28 PM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

If I can buy only ONE adams's album... what would it be and what would i buy second???

i like countryish/alternative music..

need some sugegstions, thanks
Old 09-28-2005, 11:36 PM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by elevation2u
If I can buy only ONE adams's album... what would it be and what would i buy second???

I don't know about second, but I would definitely recommend getting 'Gold' first.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:37 PM   #57
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by elevation2u

Heartbreaker. It's got 3 of the best songs he's written - To Be Sad, Oh My Sweet Carolina, and Come Pick Me Up. It's also got Sweet Lil Gal, Amy, My Winding Wheel, Bartering Lines, Shakedown on 9th St., Damn Sam... lots of good songs. A bit of filler, but this is true of ALL of his albums up until Love is Hell, IMO.

Then Gold has the big "hit" New York, New York. And the original and best version of When the Stars Go Blue, among other tracks.

Cold Roses is good, too though. And Love is Hell. :-\
Old 09-29-2005, 12:15 AM   #58
Blue Crack Distributor

I'd say Heartbreaker and then Gold, even though Gold is a wee bit too long.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:46 PM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

thanks

i was all set to buy tix for his show in August and then they got cancelled the day I went to Ticketmaster ...but hopefully he'll be back
Old 09-29-2005, 03:59 PM   #60
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 08:50 PM

So...after a few more listens...

I find it to be an enjoyable Ryan album...another good, solid addition to his discography...but it isn't exactly bowling me over (yet, anyway). It's nothing that I am running up to hilltops to proclaim that everybody simply must own this record. I would suggest other albums first. But that isn't a stab at it, because I truly do think it's a nice album, and some of the songs are really hitting me.

I would suggest Gold and Cold Roses...then Heartbreaker...then Love Is Hell...then Demolition...then Rock N Roll.

I have yet to decide where I'd put JCN in that lineup...

*edit*

Or, mayhaps, Love Is Hell before Heartbreaker...would probably depend on who I was suggesting them to and what they thought of Gold and Cold Roses.

Bonochick [at] interference.com

Tags
jacksonville city nights, ryan adams