RUGBY World Cup 2007 - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2007, 01:34 PM   #121
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 08:13 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by intedomine
My ethnic heritage or whatever...also I don't really want Australia to be good at Rugby cause it takes the focus away from the Socceroos, who are the only Aussie international sporting team I wholeheartedly support.
Ah, right. I love all of you traitorous Aussies who aren't behind the Wallabies all the way.

The Wales vs Australia game was rather remarkable really. 25-3 in favour of Australia in the first half, but 17-7 to Wales in the second, 32-20 at full time overall and Wales unfortunate not to have come closer. The Welsh really lifted their game in the second half and exposed Australia for what they are: a fragile team that is just clinging together. Due to a simple lack of attacking flair, the Welsh blew a few opportunities that the All Blacks or Boks would have absolutely scored from, and Australia's basic skills were unimpressive. Facing England (or Samoa) in the quarters will still gift the Wallabies a pass to the semi-finals, but I don't see them making it to the final. Wales, on the other hand, despite their obvious passionate determination, will probably be dealt with clinically in the quarters by a Springboks side that appears to be running rampant.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 09-15-2007, 05:05 PM   #122
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:13 PM
I want to die

How could we get any worse after Namibia?

What the hell has happened to the team since the 6 nations?

That was horrible...Geogia should have won.

Old 09-15-2007, 10:21 PM   #123
Vocal parasite

What. The. Fuck.

Georgia came so close to pulling off the greatest upset in World Cup history. Hell, losing by just 14-10 almost qualifies as an upset anyway! They got a bonus point out of the match! Well, this is one minnow that won't lie down and die.

I suddenly get this feeling that unless Ireland can seriously turn things around, Group D won't be much of a group of death and Argentina and France will easily cruise into the quarters after giving the Irish a couple of rugby lessons.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 09-16-2007, 08:54 AM   #124
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

A year ago we were the best we've ever been...and now to these performances...it's like getting punched in the gut.

It's embarrassing to watch.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:41 AM   #125
Vocal parasite

I desperately hope you Irish can pick up enough to beat France though. Not only would it be amazing to see the hosts bow out at the group stage, but I'd feel more comfortable about the All Blacks beating Ireland than France.

So, onto tonight's games:
- Fiji vs Canada: Should actually be well under way as I write this post. I was thinking Fiji should win by a clear margin, but their difficulty in beating Japan makes me think this could be quite close. I just wish it was being shown here!
- Samoa vs Tonga: Considering the size of many of the players on both teams, this should be a huge physical encounter, and watching the teams do their equivalent of the Haka at the same time would be great. Samoa should win this with a bit of daylight, but I don't think we'll see a blowout. However, a strong win will make me even more strongly suspect that an upset in Samoa vs England could be on the cards.
- France vs Namibia: OK, well, if you'd asked me the outcome two weeks ago, I would have said 90-0. But after Namibia's valiant effort against Ireland and the lacklustre French play against Argentina, this could be closer. France will still win, but if it's unconvincing, that will bode well for Ireland in the crucial Ireland vs France game in five days.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 09-16-2007, 01:30 PM   #126
you are what you is

Ireland were depressing last night

had Georgia won it would even have been deserved
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 09-16-2007, 02:37 PM   #127
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Too many of Ireland's moves broke down due to very bad handling...plus the kicking was awful

Tonga did very well today to beat Samoa...was an extremely physical game, but great fun too!
Old 09-16-2007, 04:27 PM   #128
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

We're dead
Old 09-16-2007, 07:50 PM   #129
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by LJT
We're dead
I'm sorry to say that I agree.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:44 AM   #130
Vocal parasite

Yeah, Ireland's fucked, which is a shame. This game is France's to lose - and they won't.

I'm still surprised that Samoa lost to Tonga as Samoa has the better team. Still, if Samoa can beat the woeful English, they could still potentially make the quarters, I think.

And if I'm not grossly mistaken Scotland plays Romania tonight. This will be an interesting indicator of whether or not the Scots will trouble the All Blacks any more than Italy did.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 09-18-2007, 10:06 AM   #131
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:13 PM
I realized only today that SouthAfrica walked over England 36-0! is it true, or was it a teletext mistake from my TV?
Old 09-18-2007, 10:08 AM   #132
Rock n' Roll Doggie

sadly it's true babyman. england were world champions 4 years ago believe it or not...
Old 09-18-2007, 10:19 AM   #133
Vocal parasite

The thing about England is that they never were truly world champions after the Cup. Sure, they were best on the day and won the Cup, but then the winning team vanished and the 2004-07 English team has simply been a pretender to the crown.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 09-18-2007, 10:36 AM   #134
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:13 PM
I think they miss Jonny Wilkinson more than we imagine
Old 09-18-2007, 11:04 AM   #135
Rock n' Roll Doggie

yeah lots of that england team were at their peak in 2003 and also at least 30 or rapidly approaching 30. the likes of johnson, dallaglio, greenwood, catt, robinson and a few others have either retired or are about to retire now. much like the great french football team of 1998-2000. they all hit their physical peak at the right time.

the england team now is a mere shadow of what it was, henceforth the lesson given out to them in international rugby by SA last week.