RUGBY World Cup 2007 - Page 12 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2007, 05:39 AM   #166
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:20 PM
Fuck Fiji

Old 09-30-2007, 05:53 AM   #167
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 11:20 PM
Fuck Wales, really. And they're my second team. But the way they played, they deserved to be roundly beaten. The only reason they got so close was because Fiji were down to 14 men for 10 minutes.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 09-30-2007, 10:56 AM   #168
Vocal parasite

Well, France destroyed Georgia 64-7, so now the standings in Group D are:

France, 15 pts
Argentina, 14 pts
Ireland, 9 pts

For Ireland to go through now, not only do they need to beat Argentina, but they also have to score 4+ tries to get a bonus point while depriving the Argentines of one (so Argentina can't lose by less than 7 or score 4+ tries). I don't think it can be done. Ireland's attack has been weak, while Argentina's the only country so far who haven't conceded a try in this Cup.

I'm not sure what I want. I admire Argentina and want the best for their rugby, but I'm really worried about New Zealand having to play France. We'd probably do better against Argentina (we always beat them by 20+ outside Argentina), and we'd definitely do better against this hapless Irish team. I guess I'll be cheering for both. This game will be intense and close, for sure.

Nearly time for kickoff now ...

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 09-30-2007, 11:23 AM   #169
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:20 PM
France vs Georgia 64-7

what a match!
Old 09-30-2007, 11:47 AM   #170
Vocal parasite

Well, Argentina 18-10 Ireland. I'm surprised the Argentines didn't score at least one more try. The Irish are lucky they put 10 on the board. They seem to be in a strong attack mode when in the opposition half, but when they're stuck in their own half, they don't seem to know how to get into a scoring position. They've been frantic and desperate though, and the Irish urgency to score a try combined with Argentina's natural flair has made that one of this tournament's most exciting halves of rugby thus far.

And frankly, watching the skill with which Argentina plays, I'm starting to think that if I had to choose out of them or France, I'd rather the All Blacks play France! The Argentine kicking game is second to none. When Argentina is admitted to the Tri-Nations, I think they will achieve their first win over the All Blacks within two years.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 09-30-2007, 12:44 PM   #171
Vocal parasite

And there we go, Argentina 30-15 Ireland. Hapless and unco-ordinated Irish team off home to get mauled by the press; skillful and exciting Argentine team through to a quarter-final with Scotland that is pretty much a ticket to a semi-final against South Africa.

Ireland did not at all deserve their first try, coming as it did after an appalling touch judge decision, and in the second half, when they needed to up the tempo, they just couldn't do it. Most pitiful was the fact that at the time, the Argentines were relaxing. They knew they didn't need to go for broke - they just had to keep at least a point ahead of Ireland. Now, if that was Argentina with their foot off the accelerator, thank fuck the All Blacks don't have to play them next week!

I just hope France play as badly against us as they did against Argentina in the opening game. I wish the All Blacks had a gift of a quarter-final like everyone else has, but oh well, here's hoping for the best. As long as we beat France, the semis should be an all Southern Hemisphere affair. Maybe we should just invite Argentina into the Tri-Nations and rename it the Real (And Competitive) World Cup.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 09-30-2007, 07:15 PM   #172
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:20 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
HOLY SHIT ARGENTINA WINS 17-12!

That is one of the great World Cup victories, that really is. Full credit to an Argentine team that played their guts out and took the game to the French. The sole try, taken from a glorious intercept, is not one I will forget in a hurry. Wow, what a game, what an upset to begin the Cup!

Group D has well and truly been blown wide open. For me, that has interesting implications because now who knows who New Zealand will meet in the quarter-finals. It could now quite conceivably be France.

If that game didn't get your blood pumping, I don't know what will. I'm glad I dragged myself up before 5am to see that. Where's U2@NYC? He's probably over the moon with this result!
Ok, I'm back after a long trip. I am over the roof with these Pumas and today I got to cap it by watching them beat the Irish in an Irish pub!!!!

Amazing... it is about time that the IRB includes Argentina into one of the regular competitions (3 Nations or 6 Nations).

Go Pumas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-01-2007, 03:26 AM   #173
The Fly

Local Time: 12:20 PM

Quote:
As long as we beat France, the semis should be an all Southern Hemisphere affair. Maybe we should just invite Argentina into the Tri-Nations and rename it the Real (And Competitive) World Cup. [/B]
That won't qualify you for the humility world cup ...
Old 10-01-2007, 07:19 AM   #174
Refugee

Local Time: 10:20 PM
^ C'mon....you know it's true! Admit it!!!
Old 10-01-2007, 08:01 AM   #175
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by U2@NYC
Ok, I'm back after a long trip. I am over the roof with these Pumas and today I got to cap it by watching them beat the Irish in an Irish pub!!!!

Amazing... it is about time that the IRB includes Argentina into one of the regular competitions (3 Nations or 6 Nations).

Go Pumas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was wondering where you'd got to! Glad to see you around.

The Pumas have been absolutely sensational. Now the media here are dubbing them the "sleeping giants of world rugby", which just cracks me up because a month ago, I was the only person I knew rating them and the media only focused on France and Ireland. I love their style of rugby. The soccer influence is so obvious and they use it to full effect. Other countries just don't seem to know how to counter it. Scotland are going to be destroyed in the quarter-finals.

Quote:
Originally posted by mumu2006
That won't qualify you for the humility world cup ...
Perhaps not, but it wins the Truth World Cup. Northern rugby these days is a farce. England? Unimaginative. Scotland? Directionless. Ireland? Incompetent. Wales? Embarrassing. Italy at least are trying hard. The French seem interesting, though I'm not convinced they're playing as well as they have in recent years.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 10-01-2007, 08:19 AM   #176
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:20 PM
Axver if you had to pick one northern hemisphere team that has the most chance of making the semi's who would it be?
Old 10-01-2007, 08:42 AM   #177
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by 1stepcloser
Axver if you had to pick one northern hemisphere team that has the most chance of making the semi's who would it be?
France for sure. England under normal circumstances would be a competitive prospect for Australia, but unless Pool B was so piss-easy that Australia's really quite shit and its results so far meaningless, I don't see such an unimaginative English team getting within 10 points.

The French will be a challenge for the All Blacks. I feel a bit better about New Zealand's chances thanks to the game being held in Cardiff, though.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 10-01-2007, 10:48 AM   #178
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

I was wondering where you'd got to! Glad to see you around.

The Pumas have been absolutely sensational. Now the media here are dubbing them the "sleeping giants of world rugby", which just cracks me up because a month ago, I was the only person I knew rating them and the media only focused on France and Ireland. I love their style of rugby. The soccer influence is so obvious and they use it to full effect. Other countries just don't seem to know how to counter it. Scotland are going to be destroyed in the quarter-finals.
Indeed. Although I hope they stay humble and do not think that the match against Scotland is a done deal. That guy Hernandez, though, he is serious stuff... I do not think he did anything wrong in the whole match against Ireland. He even got the last drop to go in and he is not a lefty!

I hope they make it to the semis, which would be a landmark for Argentine rugby.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:01 PM   #179
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

What a jerk... a "myth" that will kick your team's arse on Saturday...

Laporte urges French players to forget all about the All Blacks "myth"

The Associated PressPublished: October 1, 2007

MARSEILLE, France: France coach Bernard Laporte wants his players to forget about the All Blacks reputation.

France takes on New Zealand in the Rugby World Cup quarterfinals in Cardiff on Saturday, and Laporte wants his team to focus on how to apply tactics rather than worry about who they're up against.

"We are playing New Zealand, not the All Blacks (legend)," Laporte said Sunday after France thrashed Georgia 64-7 to book a place in the last eight. "The All Blacks are a myth. We need to demystify all this."

France has lost its last seven matches to New Zealand, but even that does not trouble Laporte.

"We refer more to what they did during the Tri-Nations (against Australia and South Africa)," Laporte said. "We know what it takes to achieve a victory against this team. You have to match them in physical combat so you can upset them, and be present in the rucks and in the scrum. You have to be careful as they like to play behind the back of the defense."

France manager Jo Maso wants the French to approach the match in much the same way they did in the 1999 World Cup semifinals, when France beat the All Blacks 43-31 in one of the greatest ever comebacks in world rugby.

"The context is different and the two situations are not the same," Maso said. "However, the spirit in 1999 was fantastic. I hope we will find that again in Cardiff.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:19 AM   #180
Refugee

Local Time: 01:20 PM
the ALL BLACKS have something to prove...
...same stadium (Cardiff) back in 1999...same event (RUGBY WORLD CUP)...and a semi-final to play as top favorite against the frogs (FRANCE)...the outcome of this game in 1999 was one of the most shocking and desastrous moments in NEW ZEALAND rugby history...
this will never happen again... my prediction for the game against 'the predictable unpredictables' (FRANCE)...
ALL BLACKS 47 FRANCE 27

GO THE ALL BLACKS!!!