Rough and Ready, California Superthread - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2008, 12:01 AM   #106
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMacPhisto View Post
Bruce Willis is one of my favorite actors, too. Never fails to entertain me.

Well, people fault Sammy J for only playing himself or playing off his screen persona. That's bullshit. Groucho Marx did it, Woody Allen did it, John Wayne did it. Sure, he's not at the same level of those guys, but he's done enough diverse material to not get that kind of shit, you know?
Well that's just stupid. Or bullshit like you say. Groucho obviously wins as far as that is concerned. But most actors these days try to do that, and fail miserably. I love that Sam can pull of being his movie self in interviews and what not. I'll never forget the Daily Show interview he gave while promoting Snakes on a Plane. That was pure genius

Old 06-14-2008, 12:01 AM   #107
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 11:57 AM
Quote:
Exactly. I'm getting a MacBook Pro only to use Final Cut on there for school and college. If there was a cheaper alternative, I'd go for it.

Truth is, I love working on Macs more than Windows. Customer service is always better and it's a much easier interface. Plus, you can run XP or something on a Mac, not the other way around. I'd only love Leopard more if it could make me iced tea or something while I sit.

I've heard the same shit about Linux, but have no clue what it is. Is it a different operating system or something?
ooh a macbook pro? awesome a friend of mine who's majoring in cinematography has that program and loves it. but really, if you're going into film, graphic design, anything like that, macs seem to be the best choice.

and yeah, macs really do have a better interface. but the elitist idiots who get a hard on for macs ruin it for the rest of us

linux is a free open source operating system, yeah. i've never had any desire to use it, mainly because stupid geeks try to shove it down your throat.

Old 06-14-2008, 12:01 AM   #108
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootlesque View Post
We used to have a 386 machine when I was living with my parents!

YES!!! That was our first one too!! Then we got flash and got a 486 OMG it was SOOOO basic compared to today.....When we finally got the internet, I was running on Netscape until I decided it totally sucked arse, and started using IE instead.....
Old 06-14-2008, 12:02 AM   #109
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Whoa, that's really cool!

The Gameboy on the iPod, not the drinking.

It's only cool though if it works *angryfistshakeatmyowniPod*
Old 06-14-2008, 12:03 AM   #110
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
I think I was in 4th grade in 97? And typing was required.

How's this for dated....in 91, our typing class was technically called "Secretarial Skills"....
Old 06-14-2008, 12:03 AM   #111
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
We used to have a 386 machine when I was living with my parents!

omg a 386 i can't remember if the comp we had before the 486 was a 386 or a 286

it wasn't for a very long time we actually bought computers new, we always got them secondhand. when we had the 486, and this is circa 95/96, i was bummed when a guy at a computer store told me it couldn't be upgraded anymore, and wouldn't support a modem. i wanted to go online
Old 06-14-2008, 12:03 AM   #112
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
ooh a macbook pro? awesome a friend of mine who's majoring in cinematography has that program and loves it. but really, if you're going into film, graphic design, anything like that, macs seem to be the best choice.

and yeah, macs really do have a better interface. but the elitist idiots who get a hard on for macs ruin it for the rest of us

linux is a free open source operating system, yeah. i've never had any desire to use it, mainly because stupid geeks try to shove it down your throat.
Since I want to edit, people keep telling me to buy a mac, but I just can NOT afford one of those bastards.

I don't really like the interface of a Mac to be honest. I understand that it's cleaner, I guess I just got so used to Windows I find the adjustment hard.

And yes, Linux geeks suck hard core, but that penguin IS adorable, I'll give them that.

ETA: Edit film I mean
Old 06-14-2008, 12:03 AM   #113
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
I think I was in 4th grade in 97? And typing was required.
omg...i was a freshman in high school in 97
Old 06-14-2008, 12:04 AM   #114
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluey View Post
How's this for dated....in 91, our typing class was technically called "Secretarial Skills"....
Old 06-14-2008, 12:04 AM   #115
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Well that's just stupid. Or bullshit like you say. Groucho obviously wins as far as that is concerned. But most actors these days try to do that, and fail miserably. I love that Sam can pull of being his movie self in interviews and what not. I'll never forget the Daily Show interview he gave while promoting Snakes on a Plane. That was pure genius
I love and respect actors that can completely inhabit the roles required of them, like Daniel Day-Lewis, Robert De Niro, or Al Pacino. It's also just as cool to establish a bankable and enjoyable persona, too. If you can have both, then you're fucking golden.

I absolutely love Snakes on a Plane. It delivered everything it promised and then some (awesome anatomical snake deaths, plus Sam Jackson harpooning a snake. HARPOONING A SNAKE.).
Old 06-14-2008, 12:04 AM   #116
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:57 PM
Quote:
YES!!! That was our first one too!! Then we got flash and got a 486 OMG it was SOOOO basic compared to today.....When we finally got the internet, I was running on Netscape until I decided it totally sucked arse, and started using IE instead.....
Netscape had that little progress bar type thing in the bottom right corner bouncing to the left and right endlessly until the page was fully loaded and I would sit staring at that thing for minutes like this!

That 386 we had.... oh man, black and white... took forever to boot! We had like 3 games on it. *shudder*
Old 06-14-2008, 12:05 AM   #117
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
True story, or at least so I'm told by everyone in my 4th grade class, our typing teacher got so angry at one kid she grabbed him by the collar and threw him against a wall
Old 06-14-2008, 12:06 AM   #118
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:57 PM
Quote:
Yay for saliva control!

Quote:
Here's how I see it.

The Sixth Sense is a fucking awesome movie and deserves all of the hype it gets. It pretty much revived the "psychological thriller" into something compelling and watchable. The problem is, however, Shamalamadingdong had this enormous success right off the bat, drawing unwarranted comparisons to Spielberg and Hitchcock. The guy showed that he's a great filmmaker in that film and with Unbreakable and to a lesser extent Signs, but his writing devolved into massive pretension. There's nothing wrong with director cameos if they're bit parts or something, but when it's something on the level of "the guy who caused his wife's accident" in Signs or "the guy who writes the single-most important novel in the history of mankind" in Lady in the Water, it gets ridiculous. Hell, even one of my favorite guys Quentin Tarantino does the same thing, but maybe he didn't have the budget to hire another actor? I don't know. I thought The Village was just a misstep in his career, and that he would learn from his mistakes of the "twist ending" and terribly stilted and uneven performances.

The point is, Shamalamadingdong's skills and street cred with critics and the viewing public have only declined since his first feature, and now his career's actually at the breaking point. It stinks, because the guys' not talent, but his massive ego and refusal to not take himself so goddamn seriously will be his downfall. It's almost like a Greek tragedy, hubris and all.

I do love Unbreakable and wish it was more successful. Either the massive success of The Sixth Sense or the box office failure of Unbreakable changed the guy, definitely for the worst.
Completely agree.

Quote:
April, how was your sexy evening?
Haha... Not so sexy, but nice. Sometimes nice is good.

Quote:

hey april! that's good to hear he's not a spitter
I was so relieved, let me tell you...

tons of homework to get to tomorrow and no motivation to do it, but I should get to sleep all the same. Night!
Old 06-14-2008, 12:06 AM   #119
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
I love and respect actors that can completely inhabit the roles required of them, like Daniel Day-Lewis, Robert De Niro, or Al Pacino. It's also just as cool to establish a bankable and enjoyable persona, too. If you can have both, then you're fucking golden.

I absolutely love Snakes on a Plane. It delivered everything it promised and then some (awesome anatomical snake deaths, plus Sam Jackson harpooning a snake. HARPOONING A SNAKE.).
I own Snakes on a Plane, but I still haven't seen it. Now I don't know whether to watch that or Signs.

I love the idea of the completely inhabiting of roles, But I hate it sometimes when they take it too far. Like the one actor, (I don't recall who it was at the moment) who was supposed to play a relly sleezy character, so he decided to just not shower for a few days to get into character. Come on guys, make up can do that job just as well
Old 06-14-2008, 12:06 AM   #120
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Yeah, I'm trying to go the film route - either editing, directing, or cinematography. Like you said, Macs seem to be the best choice for me right now. I've been clamoring for one since I first started using them at school about 3-4 years ago.

I'm kind of knowledgeable about computers, but have never understood Linux. Thanks for kind of explaining it to me.

Tags
superthread