Rough and Ready, California Superthread - Page 42 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-15-2008, 12:48 AM   #616
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 10:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamOutLoud13 View Post
Very true. And I agree about Lady in the Water. It was still good, despite his presence. I wonder if people would be willing to enjoy it more if he'd cast someone other than himself in that role.
Maybe. Digitally insert Don Cheadle in there or something.

It won't change the fact that it's a disappointing movie though. Deliberate pacing and suspense only gets somewhere if there's a pay-off. His first 2 movies definitely have them, Signs kind of does, and the others don't at all.
__________________

__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 06-15-2008, 12:49 AM   #617
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,805
Local Time: 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post
I vote we kill the next person to start a Coldplay thread in EYKIW.

Especially because they consist of idiots chiming in with "OMGZ I H8S CODPLAY BCOS TEHY SOUND A BIT LEIK U2!!!!1111!!!eleven!"
I don't even think Coldplay sounds that much like U2. Chris Martin wants them to sound like U2 but, as he did with naming his children, he keeps failing repeatedly.
__________________

__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is online now  
Old 06-15-2008, 12:49 AM   #618
Blue Crack Supplier
 
No spoken words's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Where do YOU live?
Posts: 43,241
Local Time: 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMacPhisto View Post
It won't change the fact that it's a disappointing movie though. Deliberate pacing and suspense only gets somewhere if there's a pay-off. His first 2 movies definitely have them, Signs kind of does, and the others don't at all.
Agreed. It's a shockingly bad film.
__________________
No spoken words is offline  
Old 06-15-2008, 12:49 AM   #619
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 11:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMacPhisto View Post
That's pretty cool to hear about your dad and brother. Hope he does well with the LLWS.
It starts with districts, then states ... so they've got to win somewhere in the neighborhood of a dozen games with only one loss to get to the LLWS.

Chances are unlikely.

I'm kind of disappointed my dad didn't try to coach the All-Star team. The two guys coaching it are literally the worst case scenario, in my opinion.

Now, my ranting over LL is over, I think. Only so much one can say when none of you know the people I'm talking about.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 06-15-2008, 12:50 AM   #620
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 10:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Link please.
It ain't as bad as I'm making it out to be, it's just that this kid is trying so hard to be knowledgeable on movies and shit. Not an indie snob, per se, just totally off-base with most of what he says:

Hulk ***1/2

Quote:
It's sad this film is hated by so many people. Why is it, that people are obsessed with action so much that they can't stand when a character that usually smashes things, talks a lot? Well I guess it would be a problem if it was dribble and completely pointless, but guess what, it's not! The fact that the Hulk character has a strong personality to him makes him all the more likable and in turn makes the movie more enjoyable. Plus, there's plenty of action in the movie. I thought everyone by now has come to realize the Michael Bay movies of action, action, and more action is not the way to go about movies, but I guess moviegoers still have a ways to go.

The cast was actually all perfectly placed, except for maybe one person. And sadly, this is the man behind the Hulk himself. Eric Bana tries hard, I can tell, but he just isn't exactly the right man suited for the angst and anger the Hulk should have. Edward Norton, who is now cast in the new Hulk movie, is a much better choice. Still, Bana gives a decent performance and doesn't totally throw the movie off track.

Everything about this movie screams great superhero flick, but it's not flawless. The comic book panels Lee uses throughout do add style, but come at the cost of getting pretty damn annoying sometimes. Also, it's a tad bit too long for its own good. But even with all its flaws, this is a great representation of the Hulk and it would have been nice to see Ang Lee make his own sequel. Definitely recommended to anyone who's willing to use their brain during the movie.
Indy IV: ****

Quote:
Well it's finally here. And of course the big aching question for all: was it worth the wait? In short, absolutely.

Probably at this moment, it's my 3rd favorite of the 4, but that might change upon repeat viewings. The main thing the movie doesn't do wrong is emphasize on Jones being old. If Spielberg had done that, the movie would have gotten old fast (no pun intended) and the audience's interest lost. Thankfully Spielberg crafts Ford's character as badass as he ever was. CGI also worried many people, creating the impression that the original feel of the first 3 movies would be lost. But one's got to remember that back in the 80's, those movies were also constantly finding ways to outdo themselves with impressive visuals. It's just now, the industry has CGI. But even still, the CGI isn't overdone with only maybe 3 scenes total that are heavily CGI centered. For the most part, CGI never gets in the way of the film.

The acting by everyone was pretty exceptional. Harrison Ford still had the best performance of the movie, but Cate Blanchett followed close behind. Her performance might have bordered on stereotypical of "the Reds" at times, but she was still phenomenal, as cold and haunting as ever. John Hurt performed well too, but nothing too extraordinary. And Karen was Karen. Which leaves us with Shia LeBouef. What's there to say about him? Has he ever truly played a deep and emotional character up to now? He's been in I, Robot, Disturbia, and Transformers, to name a few. He's not exactly the deepest of character actors, as of now. Then again, the role he's in doesn't need a truly extraordinary actor. He does do a fairly great job in the movie though, as the comic relief known as "Mutt" Williams. For most of the movie, he's a typical grease-ball of the 50's, combing his hair back constantly. And that really does get annoying the 100th time he does it. But later on in the movie, he gets the chance to stretch his acting muscles a bit especially with emotional scenes involving his stepfather and such. (SPOILER) It's a little cliche to see Mutt be the son of Jones and doesn't really come as a surprise to the audience when the reveal comes, but does give the chance to have a strong bond form between LeBouef and Ford. (END SPOILER) Overall, everyone performed well, but besides Ford, everyone had room to improve to reach greatness.

With the CGI, action scenes became more explosive and intense. The major car chase scene, while over dramatic, was still awesome. Also the scene with the ants has got to be one of the most chilling scenes in all of the 4 movies. That could have not been done easily, if at all, back in the 80's. The part in the beginning where all the crates explode after the car drives through them made no sense, and the whole magnetism thing was a complete stretch.

One of the most important aspects of the movie is the story, and overall it's kind of a mixed bag. On one hand, it maintains the historical-ness of the first and third movie, not pulling any of that Temple of Doom cult stuff, which is a good thing...until the Crystal Skull is found. (SPOILER) The whole alien aspect of the story just seems silly. I understand how it ties into Indy's whole "not believing in supernatural crap", but still, Lucas and Spielberg should have left their love of extra-terrestrials out of the Indy franchise. Everything about the flying saucer and the aliens "being one" was out of place and just an excuse to actually think of some historical artifact to chase after. Or something along those lines. The story still didn't get too destroyed by all the aliens, so overall it was still fun and exciting.

Raiders of the Lost Ark, Temple of Doom, and the Last Crusade all are amazing films. And so is the latest Indiana Jones movie. It combines all of the exciting elements of the previous films, providing a fun and exciting follow up to the first three films. Anyone who is a fan of the Indiana Jones movies or of action/adventure movies to begin with, should go see this, as its full of charm and character. Here's hoping that Indy 5 will be equally as great, if not better, than Crystal Skull. And yes, there will be another; its basically spelled out all over the movie.
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 06-15-2008, 12:52 AM   #621
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 10:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
It starts with districts, then states ... so they've got to win somewhere in the neighborhood of a dozen games with only one loss to get to the LLWS.

Chances are unlikely.

I'm kind of disappointed my dad didn't try to coach the All-Star team. The two guys coaching it are literally the worst case scenario, in my opinion.

Now, my ranting over LL is over, I think. Only so much one can say when none of you know the people I'm talking about.
I just remember the same damn kids always making the team, even if they weren't technically the best. About 3/4 of them are, but there's always the 1/4 that rely on either favoritism or pure bribery (that actually happened).
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 06-15-2008, 12:53 AM   #622
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 11:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
My Dad coached me and my sister at various times. He played HS and college ball, and his Dad played in the Minors, so he knew what he was talking about. Outside of making me pitch one year when I clearly had great velocity but zero command of my pitches, he was a great and patient coach. Which is kind of funny, because he would often be a little bit impatient with many other things.
My dad's very similar to his normal self in coaching, actually. He's not quiet or overly patient, he's pretty involved in coaching kids through, which is good at a younger age in some ways.

I find his reactions to calls hilarious. Usually it's contained bewilderment if it's bad, because he doesn't like to make a scene unless it's really bad or necessary to do so (like the white board towel story). Whereas most coaches (especially in basketball) like to make a scene at most junctures.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 06-15-2008, 12:55 AM   #623
Blue Crack Supplier
 
No spoken words's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Where do YOU live?
Posts: 43,241
Local Time: 08:51 PM
My Dad was at his best in dealing with Umpires, likely because he used to ump while in College and on the weekends as he got older.
__________________
No spoken words is offline  
Old 06-15-2008, 12:55 AM   #624
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 11:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMacPhisto View Post
I just remember the same damn kids always making the team, even if they weren't technically the best. About 3/4 of them are, but there's always the 1/4 that rely on either favoritism or pure bribery (that actually happened).
That's how they all are, I imagine.

I submitted a 12 man roster for the All-Stars to my father and his other coach, and they brought it to the meeting. No idea how they used it (my understanding is they just compared mine to their own and did nothing more). Ultimately, 9 of my choices made it, and three didn't. The other three spots were coach's sons who didn't deserve it.

Luckily, two kids dropped out and two of my choices made it in as replacements, leaving only one injustice off the squad.

I find it funny that the commissioner of the league has never thought to ask me about it, since I see the players in the league about 7 times more often than anyone else.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 06-15-2008, 12:56 AM   #625
Blue Crack Supplier
 
No spoken words's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Where do YOU live?
Posts: 43,241
Local Time: 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE AMENDMENT
My Dad loves me, and he shall be known to all as THE EXCEPTION
Yes, of course.
__________________
No spoken words is offline  
Old 06-15-2008, 12:57 AM   #626
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 10:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
That's how they all are, I imagine.

I submitted a 12 man roster for the All-Stars to my father and his other coach, and they brought it to the meeting. No idea how they used it (my understanding is they just compared mine to their own and did nothing more). Ultimately, 9 of my choices made it, and three didn't. The other three spots were coach's sons who didn't deserve it.

Luckily, two kids dropped out and two of my choices made it in as replacements, leaving only one injustice off the squad.

I find it funny that the commissioner of the league has never thought to ask me about it, since I see the players in the league about 7 times more often than anyone else.
11 out of 12 ain't bad.

I usually hated coach's kids and really tried hard not to be one when I was thrust into that situation.
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 06-15-2008, 12:58 AM   #627
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 11:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
My Dad was at his best in dealing with Umpires, likely because he used to ump while in College and on the weekends as he got older.
I think it's an art form of coaching, personally.

The key is not to say anything early or on small calls. No ump/ref will respect someone who seems to bitch constantly. Picking and choosing your battles (and there has to be only a few) is the key.

I used to umpire and still ref basketball, so I always feels this gives me the right to berate umps and refs. It's become harder in baseball since I know most of the umps through my work on a name basis, but in basketball I let loose sometimes. I've been threatened to get kicked out of a game while in the stands once, let's just say that.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 06-15-2008, 12:58 AM   #628
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,805
Local Time: 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMacPhisto View Post
It ain't as bad as I'm making it out to be, it's just that this kid is trying so hard to be knowledgeable on movies and shit. Not an indie snob, per se, just totally off-base with most of what he says:
My main problem with the reviews is that they suck. I've seen more professionally-written reviews on this forum.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is online now  
Old 06-15-2008, 12:59 AM   #629
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 11:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
Yes, of course.
Well played, sir.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 06-15-2008, 12:59 AM   #630
Blue Crack Supplier
 
No spoken words's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Where do YOU live?
Posts: 43,241
Local Time: 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
I think it's an art form of coaching, personally.

The key is not to say anything early or on small calls. No ump/ref will respect someone who seems to bitch constantly. Picking and choosing your battles (and there has to be only a few) is the key.

I used to umpire and still ref basketball, so I always feels this gives me the right to berate umps and refs. It's become harder in baseball since I know most of the umps through my work on a name basis, but in basketball I let loose sometimes. I've been threatened to get kicked out of a game while in the stands once, let's just say that.
I always try to be nice to the umps in my softball leagues....this way, when I do complain or point something out, they know damn well it's not whining.
__________________

__________________
No spoken words is offline  
 

Tags
superthread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com