Rooty Hill Holiday Inn Superthread - Page 68 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2008, 10:26 AM   #1006
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
We did a fair bit of Maori at my primary school. Maybe it's not compulsory nationwide? I think we had a specific Maori lesson every week, and certain units would require extra class time. I was actually pretty good at Maori and probably would have become fluent had I stayed in New Zealand. The college I would've attended had a very good Maori programme. Nowadays, I just know the anthem, counting, kia ora, and a few other words here and there.

Oh, we did far too much fucking Aussie European history. It was maddening. I mean, great, learn the stuff, but don't fucking repeat what we did last year. And have more damn scope!

Though Ian, be grateful you got Kiwi history. My mother was solely taught American history. She went to college on the Kapiti Coast!
I managed to bail on the class that had American history.

History was at it's most interesting in sixth form, where we covered Europe around World War Two. Fifth form was pretty heavy on New Zealand stuff.

Frankly, by seventh form we were New Zealanded out. Sure, it's nice but at that stage we wanted to look further.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:27 AM   #1007
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:11 PM
I would like to know how EPAA kind of came into being. Did they hire some Pueblo Indian shaman to come and cast a spell on Bono that would make him vomit his spirit or something?

Old 06-30-2008, 10:28 AM   #1008
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanuaryStar View Post
Hmm, such a shame... French is a beautiful language and comes in handy when visiting different countries.
Exactly. I want to have another shot at learning it, when i get around to it.

That or Portuguese, just to be perverse and not to do Spanish.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:28 AM   #1009
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:11 PM
We learned Spanish at school, by the way. I should probably learn that, relations in South America and such.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:28 AM   #1010
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:41 PM
Okay new thread needed!

I'm voting for Westward Ho too
Old 06-30-2008, 10:28 AM   #1011
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sad Punk View Post
I would like to know how EPAA kind of came into being. Did they hire some Pueblo Indian shaman to come and cast a spell on Bono that would make him vomit his spirit or something?

Replace Pueblo Indiana Shaman with Brian Eno, and I think you've about got it.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:29 AM   #1012
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Spanish is a great language too, also very useful in so many countries. Spanish is easier to learn than French, in my opinion.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:29 AM   #1013
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sad Punk View Post
We learned Spanish at school, by the way. I should probably learn that, relations in South America and such.
I know that our expert Spanish teacher was an Asian guy, that by all accounts was not good at his job. People who took it generally were taking it to kill an hour.

Ole!
Old 06-30-2008, 10:30 AM   #1014
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 11:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post
I had some French classes in high school - one teacher who was from France was more interested in presentation of work than actually teaching us anything, and the other one wasn't a bad teacher, but again the focus was on useless things like presentation than learning words or speaking the language.
I felt my German classes were more "here's useful travel phrases" than "let's teach you to be fluent". My friend and I were the top two German students at my school. Yet when we had visiting German exchange students, we were too shy to talk to them, and we could barely hold anything more than a basic conversation and ask useless questions.

In grade 12, our German teacher tried to teach a Goethe unit, but that failed spectacularly since none of us knew even remotely enough German to comprehend it. Our teacher was English but had lived in Germany, and her husband (who was a maths teacher!) was German.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-30-2008, 10:31 AM   #1015
Vocal parasite

Danny, chop chop, we need to go to Westward Ho! and we need to go now!

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-30-2008, 10:32 AM   #1016
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

German is a language I really don't like to use a lot... But luckily it's not very difficult for Dutch people since Germans are our neighbours. I don't see myself going to Germany for a holiday soon, though, but it is useful when going to other German-speaking countries like Austria or Switzerland.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:32 AM   #1017
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I felt my German classes were more "here's useful travel phrases" than "let's teach you to be fluent". My friend and I were the top two German students at my school. Yet when we had visiting German exchange students, we were too shy to talk to them, and we could barely hold anything more than a basic conversation and ask useless questions.

In grade 12, our German teacher tried to teach a Goethe unit, but that failed spectacularly since none of us knew even remotely enough German to comprehend it. Our teacher was English but had lived in Germany, and her husband (who was a maths teacher!) was German.
Heh, the one German teacher in the school took our form class for a supervised study period. We did not like her at all. We were always excited about the class because it was a free opportunity for us to act up and hope that she cracked down on it comically. It was always worth the 250 word half-arse essays we got in that class.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:32 AM   #1018
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Danny, chop chop, we need to go to Westward Ho! and we need to go now!
He's probably gone off to bed already
Old 06-30-2008, 10:32 AM   #1019
Blue Crack Supplier

Hurry up with the new thread, i'm tired!
Old 06-30-2008, 10:33 AM   #1020
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanuaryStar View Post
Hmm, such a shame... French is a beautiful language and comes in handy when visiting different countries.
I always wanted to learn French. French and Latin. Both seem to be awesome languages - and, well, my name is French (it's André). But my high school offered just Japanese and German. We did have a qualified French teacher, but he was also a qualified maths teacher and they employed him for that rather than for French.

Gig pictures | Blog

Tags
superthread