Roger Waters on tour! - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2006, 02:21 PM   #76
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl
Oh man, I totally forgot to post a review here at Interference! Your pictures are amazing, ntalwar. I love the second one during Sheep. How fucking awesome were those fire plumes?!

The show I saw in Toronto was the best rock concert I've ever seen in my life. I'm being completely serious. Everything about it blew me away, despite the fact that I was quite far from the stage. Roger was having an awesome time and it really translated through into the performance. The crowd was awesome too. Fucking LOUD! Not to mention all of the little theatrical extras that made it that much more entertaining to witness. We got fireworks, jets of fire, exploding cannons, pink confetti, floating astronauts, flying pigs and a fucking brilliant video show. I had the time of my life. And I agree re: the lip synching. I watched the video screens extremely closely on Sheep, Have A Cigar and The Fletcher Memorial Home. Sheep is definitely live, Have A Cigar I'm fairly certain of as well. As for Fletcher, I think he might still be getting a little assistance on that one, but it was barely noticeable. To see a 63-year-old man singing along with a pre-recorded track on one (extremely difficult, BTW) song out of a three hour show doesn't bother me in the slightest. The message of that song is far more important than whether or not the high parts are being sung live, and I think that's the point people are missing. The Fletcher Memorial Home is one of the greatest songs Roger has ever written, and I'm glad he hasn't dropped it. It's very poignant in the state of today's politics. Speaking of politics, I'm also glad he didn't drop Leaving Beirut for the sake of the American audiences. I'd love to see the crowd reaction to that one in the more Republican states.

My only complaint would be Snowy and Dave during Money. They shouldn't play the outro together because I haven't heard one bootleg where they've been in perfect pitch with one another. Toronto wasn't an exception to this. Just let Dave play it, he's fucking incredible.

To make a long story short, if you're a Pink Floyd fan and you have the opportunity to see Roger live, DO IT. You won't be disappointed. I think this is his best tour since Pros & Cons. In The Flesh was good, but DSOTM is blowing it away.

Here are some of my pictures...I snuck in a digital SLR but they caught me taking video during WYWH and told me to stop using the camera or they'd throw me out. Since you got the close ups, ntalwar, I'll show a few I got of the screens before security berated me.

In The Flesh:

Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun:

Shine On You Crazy Diamond:

And some video.

In The Flesh clip 1 / In The Flesh clip 2
SOYCD clip 1 / SOYCD clip 2
Wish You Were Here (long clip)

I wish I hadn't filmed so long during WYWH...it would have been fucking fantastic to get some of the pig. He floated right above us!

sounds like an awesome show

glad you had fun

Old 09-24-2006, 02:44 PM   #77
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:22 AM
Quote:
Oh man, I totally forgot to post a review here at Interference! Your pictures are amazing, ntalwar. I love the second one during Sheep. How fucking awesome were those fire plumes?!

The show I saw in Toronto was the best rock concert I've ever seen in my life. I'm being completely serious. Everything about it blew me away, despite the fact that I was quite far from the stage. Roger was having an awesome time and it really translated through into the performance. The crowd was awesome too. Fucking LOUD! Not to mention all of the little theatrical extras that made it that much more entertaining to witness. We got fireworks, jets of fire, exploding cannons, pink confetti, floating astronauts, flying pigs and a fucking brilliant video show. I had the time of my life. And I agree re: the lip synching. I watched the video screens extremely closely on Sheep, Have A Cigar and The Fletcher Memorial Home. Sheep is definitely live, Have A Cigar I'm fairly certain of as well. As for Fletcher, I think he might still be getting a little assistance on that one, but it was barely noticeable. To see a 63-year-old man singing along with a pre-recorded track on one (extremely difficult, BTW) song out of a three hour show doesn't bother me in the slightest. The message of that song is far more important than whether or not the high parts are being sung live, and I think that's the point people are missing. The Fletcher Memorial Home is one of the greatest songs Roger has ever written, and I'm glad he hasn't dropped it. It's very poignant in the state of today's politics. Speaking of politics, I'm also glad he didn't drop Leaving Beirut for the sake of the American audiences. I'd love to see the crowd reaction to that one in the more Republican states.

My only complaint would be Snowy and Dave during Money. They shouldn't play the outro together because I haven't heard one bootleg where they've been in perfect pitch with one another. Toronto wasn't an exception to this. Just let Dave play it, he's fucking incredible.

To make a long story short, if you're a Pink Floyd fan and you have the opportunity to see Roger live, DO IT. You won't be disappointed. I think this is his best tour since Pros & Cons. In The Flesh was good, but DSOTM is blowing it away.

Here are some of my pictures...I snuck in a digital SLR but they caught me taking video during WYWH and told me to stop using the camera or they'd throw me out. Since you got the close ups, ntalwar, I'll show a few I got of the screens before security berated me.
Thanks - good to hear you enjoyed it as much as I did. Nice photos and videos. I'm sure RW could do more with the show in the arena effects-wise compared to the amphitheater I saw it in.

As big as a U2 fan I am, I'd have to agree with you on the best rock concert thing - mostly because of the great setlist for me. Plus the quality of the instrumental performances and the visuals. U2 could put on an truly incredible show too, if they did a best-of setlist IMO.

And the merchandise stand was so crowded, I couldn't get a tshirt. At the U2 shows, there was not really a line. I'm so jealous of LA - they get 3 shows. I think red state thing will be ok - I think NYC had some booers, but I didn't hear any near DC.

I'll upload some brief videos later too - luckily I wasn't caught as well.

Here's a couple I got of the pig:

Old 09-24-2006, 03:13 PM   #78
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:22 AM
thanks for all the pictures & clips
Really looking forward to the Hollywood Bowl shows. Hubby has tickets for 2 of the 3 nights. I know I'm going to one of them, and he'll probably take a friend the other. We'll see.
Old 09-24-2006, 03:50 PM   #79
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by ntalwar

As big as a U2 fan I am, I'd have to agree with you on the best rock concert thing - mostly because of the great setlist for me. Plus the quality of the instrumental performances and the visuals. U2 could put on an truly incredible show too, if they did a best-of setlist IMO.

And the merchandise stand was so crowded, I couldn't get a tshirt. At the U2 shows, there was not really a line. I'm so jealous of LA - they get 3 shows. I think red state thing will be ok - I think NYC had some booers, but I didn't hear any near DC.

Yeah. I saw U2 in Toronto last year and they were brilliant, but this particular show was something else entirely. I don't know why, but I felt about a thousand times more engaged in the whole experience. I think the difference here is that even though I was a little bit further from the stage than I was at U2, I felt closer to the action and more emotionally attached because all kinds of things were happening around me. The astronaut during Perfect Sense was let off right by the section where I was sitting, and the pig was almost close enough for me to touch it. The setlist thing you brought up is very true as well. At the U2 show I saw in Toronto, they played a lot of songs I wasn't wild about. At the RW show, every song he played was a favourite of mine.

Merchandise stand was crowded in Toronto too, but I luckily managed to get a few things. Some of the shirts were really cool! I loved the one that had the Any Colour You Like projections on them but they didn't have anything in my size. The tour programme is awesome as well. There wasn't any booing for Leaving Beirut in TO either. The only booing was had when pictures of Bin Laden, Tony Blair and George Bush were shown on the video screen during The Fletcher Memorial Home. "Boom boom, bang bang, lie down you're dead!" If only they were, Rog. If only they were. Nice shots of the pig, by the way! I loved the "Impeach Bush NOW!" on his rear. Good placing of the words.

VintagePunk, I'm jealous! I wanted to check TicketBastard on the day of the show as well, but had no Internet OR printer access, so it would have been pointless. I considered seeking out a scalper at one point, but they piss me off so much that I wasn't going to give them the satisfaction. I still had a great time anyway, despite being faaar away in the lower bowl.

And Lila, you're going to have a fantastic time. There is a very special guest attending the Hollywood Bowl shows.
Old 09-24-2006, 03:55 PM   #80
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:22 AM

Roger, oh Roger, why have you forgotten about Florida (aka America's Willie)

Old 09-24-2006, 04:36 PM   #82
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto

Old 09-24-2006, 04:54 PM   #83
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
We got fireworks, jets of fire,

Quote:

Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun:

Dave and Snowy:
Old 09-24-2006, 06:11 PM   #84
ONE
love, blood, life

Old 09-24-2006, 06:19 PM   #85
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

i see many road trips to Atlanta in the near future.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:25 PM   #86
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

I also found this from another show, Vera/Bring The Boys Back Home.

I took some of Vera - most have the rising smoke, but I got the flame in this one:

Old 09-24-2006, 07:36 PM   #87
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:22 AM
Old 09-24-2006, 09:39 PM   #88
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto

Because everyone forgets about Florida.

I think all these artists are just pissed that we "elected" Bush in the first time around so they punish us.

That and that the average age of Floridians is like 75. Not really but, I guess they figure they can make more money elsewhere and we'll just drive the 12 hours out to Bamy or Georgia.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:42 PM   #89
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Here's my first video from the show - not the best quality since it was shot on a digital camera.

1 minute from Brain Damage:
Old 09-24-2006, 09:52 PM   #90
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by PlaTheGreat

Because everyone forgets about Florida.

I think all these artists are just pissed that we "elected" Bush in the first time around so they punish us.

That and that the average age of Floridians is like 75. Not really but, I guess they figure they can make more money elsewhere and we'll just drive the 12 hours out to Bamy or Georgia.
Miami and Orlando are large markets for bands, at least Miami is.

But yeah, you're probably right.

Tags
pink floyd, roger waters